my mother can pay my plane ticket for me ?

phompen

My mother would like to help me and pay my plane ticket to go back europe,

but is it possible she pays for me ? sometimes at the airport they ask to show the card you have used to pay the trip... I cannot show this card because it's the card of my mother

so it is risky ? I will fly with Etihad

me also usually they don't ask to see the card, but they asked me 2 times on 30 flights

I don't know why they do this verification I guess it's based on some criterias

so it's possible to show a photo/picture of the card signed by its owner, good to know (at least with Etihad)

Edited by phompen

OP is right to be concerned about this.

Once had a MAL flight from Kuala Lumpur to eastern Malaysia, so not an international flight.  Checked in ok (this was at KL International, before they had an LCC terminal).  Made my way to gate after a bit of loitering.  Attendant took my boarding pass, said something in the direction of the wall next to her, and out come 2 uniformed guards and an airline rep.  The rep asked for my credit card, gave it to him.  He looked confused.  "This is you?" Then he seemed embarrassed, asked if he could write down my CC number, and mumbled something about credit card security.  And that was that.

I booked the flight online in Penang, card was on a US bank.  I recall the connection broke a time or two before it went through so maybe that set off an alert.  And combine that with it being easy to mistake my name for a Chinese one -- as those of you who've been around this region for a while know it is not unusual (well, at least back then) to find stories in the news about Malaysian Chinese running stolen credit card rings.

Flight from Bkk to Cairo on Egyptair, tried to book it online from Vientiane, they wouldn't have it, had to phone in via Skype.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 6:26 AM, Berkshire said:

Hmmmm...what if the ticket was paid for in cash? 

In the USA if you paid with cash the TSA would question the hell out of you!, especially if a one way fare.  As far as I know they don't really care about how the ticket was paid for.  The reason they check when credit cards are used is a credit card fraud check since credit card companies in general will eat the cost of fraud.  I think if you used a debit card, they don't ask to check.  From the EVA site I can't tell what they would do about a debit card or cash.  But if you paid by cash, you obviously would not be purchasing online so there can't be too much credit fraud, only a stolen ticket and fake ID issue.   I pasted some stuff from EVA's site below.  What is interesting is if you are not the holder, you still must somehow present your card to some EVA ticket office.  That is massively inconvenient.   You could easily be no where near a EVA office.

"

Payment

You are required to present the credit card used to purchase the ticket during check-in at the airport. For identification at the check-in counter, you must use a credit card with the card number and name stamped into it. You are required to input your first name and last name exactly as displayed on the credit card. Passengers who fail to do so will be denied boarding unless they purchase a full-fare ticket at the airport ticket counter.

If you, as the credit card holder, will not be among the travel party, you must present your credit card to EVA Air and sign an indemnity form. This can be done in one of two ways.

Visit any EVA Air office during business hours and at least 48 hours before the passenger's scheduled departure. You must bring your credit card and sign an Indemnity of Payment form.

Visit the EVA Air counter at the airport at least one hour before scheduled departure. You must bring your credit card and sign an Indemnity of Payment form.