Dimple-Piercing Fad Nothing To Smile About, Doctors Warn

webfact

Dimple-Piercing Fad Nothing To Smile About, Doctors Warn

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

DIMPLE-696x522.jpg

BANGKOK — Those looking to punctuate their smiles with deeper dimples have two options. They can go to a licensed clinic and pay upward of 8,000 baht per cheek or pay someone at an underground clinic to push metal pins through both cheeks for about 900 baht.

Until Friday, one of the top places to do that was an illegal clinic operating in a piercing studio among the fashion and food stalls at a weekend market in Chatuchak Park. Police moved in to shut it down after two years of operation and thousands of procedures.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2017/08/09/dimple-piercing-fad-nothing-smile-doctors-warn/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-08-09

Just now, lordblackader said:

Don't know about the health side but it makes every single person who has them look ridiculous. Surely being hit with a stick multiple times would be an easier way to make yourself ugly? 

As foolish as those whom chose to adorn themselves with piercings may appear, the intelligence level is not diminished sufficiently to favor a daily stick beating to look attractive, yet, at least until a trend that promotes the beat up wife look takes over social media.

"Those looking to punctuate their smiles with deeper dimples..."

Just add that to the list of skin whitening, nose jobs, cosmetic eye surgery, etc. and there won't be a woman left who remotely resembles a Thai. 

Not sure who they are trying to impress. I don't know any of my western friends who are attracted to these Frankensteinian looks. 

So is there a needle like pin sticking through to the inside of the mouth like an earing? I have been trying to imagine this and tremble at the thought of the serious damage and pain that it would cause to anything being placed inside the mouth; the girl's own finger as an example? 

55 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

Don't know about the health side but it makes every single person who has them look ridiculous. Surely being hit with a stick multiple times would be an easier way to make yourself ugly? 

If I was a teen now, I'd do it. 

Just nose and ears when I was younger. 

Reminds of my wife niece who was living with us. She put these colored elastics on her top teeth. The only thing I could think of was her school mates had braces. My daughter back home was happy to get braces at first. But that soon wore off quickly. It's the school peer pressure thing. By the way my wife son and myself have natural dimples.