Savage attack on foreigner in Krabi holiday zone - attacked by four men as he lay helpless on the ground

Jonathan Fairfield

No, excuse for 4 vs 1. Even if the foreigner did start it, they can just knock him down and walk away. Obviously a deliberate assault on an innocent man. As a tourist; I fear some Thai people. 

Edited by Iamtoofat
Bad error

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, VegasExpat said:

Always remember my Golden Rule when in Thailand.  "NEVER get into a confrontation with a Thai, just smile and walk away"

Agreed. Remember we go back to our happy lives in Australia, UK or USA and these bullies are stuck in low paying job in horrible living conditions, their punishment is their life. We make more in 1 month than some of these bully boy make in 1 year. Just ignore them as you would ignore the lower class back home. I don't believe these bullies represent all Thai people at all.

Look, the bottom line is that there is never any upside to engaging a Thai person, much less a group of them, in a fight. If you kick their ass, you lose. If they kick your ass, you lose. No upside to that formula. Best to just keep your cool, show respect, and avoid battles in public. Remember, this is a land of face. Even something as benign as a street race, can mean they end up losing face. Which for well developed, normal people is not a big deal. But for seriously immature men, or boys, it is.

The bottom line is that these thugs do not represent Thai people on any level. They barely have any parents at all. Most parents are absentee these days, even if they are home all the time. Parenting is falling off the face of the earth. It is a lost art. Many parents are too obsessed with making their kids their friends, to do the right thing by their kids, and be tough and show them their limits. Most Thai people are not violent. Sure, there are some. Like anywhere. But I find in most situations if I show sincere kindness, humility, and respect, to someone who has taken offense by something I have done, just backs down, and accepts the apology. A situation can easily be escalated with the wrong attitude. But why? There is no upside for us. Only downside. Only problems. And they are the kinds of problems we just do not need. 

Face is no doubt, the greatest form of weakness, a human can engage in. Many will say it is societal, cultural, etc. No matter. It is the absolute and complete lack of the ability to introspect, and look within for the source of any problem, shortcoming, conflict, or issue. It is the polar opposite of spirituality, and therefore an absolute scourge on Buddha, and all of the precepts he taught. By practicing face, you are denying your spiritual heritage. You are refusing to man up. To take responsibility for your actions. If a man or a woman cannot, and will not take responsibility for their actions, the problems they create, the mistakes they make, and the issues they involve themselves in, what are they? Are they still an adult? Are they a complete individual, if they allow themselves to be limited by such infinitely small social convention? 

Who cares what people think of you? For those of us with high self esteem, it just does not matter. Sure, close friends and family. But strangers on the street? Who gives a rat's butt about this? It means nothing what they think, nor what they say about you. They count for nothing. They are just people, and people you do not know, nor will ever see again. Face is rife with self doubt, and by subscribing to this weakness, and man or woman is made a far lesser person. For those of us with high self esteem, we know who we are. What others think, what society thinks, what a guy or gal thinks, means less than zero.

Edited by spidermike007

46 minutes ago, kalidescopemind said:

I got a good piece of advice from a bar owner when I first got to Thailand.  He said don't fight with Thais.  He said his friend did, and he was in the right.  But the Thai man killed him, and went to jail.  Point is, the guy was dead, almost like this guy.   I heard some ex-cop go on about how he was going to get some Thai dude, and I tried to tell it was a really bad idea, but he thought he was a tough guy.  My wife says its getting worse these days, and they will attack you in a pack anytime you get in a beef with them.  Go home and yell at your TV and get drunk, but don't get in a fight with Thais in public.  It could easily be the last thing you ever do.

Or, if you're going to do it, be armed and ready to take on 7 guys at once.

12 hours ago, jenifer d said:

but piss off southerners, especially if you're a hot-headed or ill-advised/inebriatred tourist- and it is ON!!!

I guess it is a cultural difference.  In the west youth respect the elderly to a degree and bashing them is seen as a horrible crime.

1 minute ago, Iamtoofat said:

I guess it is a cultural difference.  In the west youth respect the elderly to a degree and bashing them is seen as a horrible crime.

no culture difference. the youth respect the elderly here too and bashing the elderly or anyone for that matter is seen as a horrible crime depending on what they did to deserve it

4 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

no culture difference. the youth respect the elderly here too and bashing the elderly or anyone for that matter is seen as a horrible crime depending on what they did to deserve it

To be sure, it's only a tiny, tiny minority that engages in this behaviour ( similarly an infinitesimally small number of farang would seek to take them on in such a foolhardy manner).

That said , these thugs need to be dealt with; one day they WILL kill someone.

1 minute ago, Prbkk said:

To be sure, it's only a tiny, tiny minority that engages in this behaviour ( similarly an infinitesimally small number of farang would seek to take them on in such a foolhardy manner).

That said , these thugs need to be dealt with; one day they WILL kill someone.

i actually just had to google 'infinitesimally '. I get your point and agree

16 hours ago, Cleveland said:

Was thinking only 4 on 1 was pretty mild by usual Thai standards.

Is there any other country in Asia where the foreigner is so despised, both by the locals and by the government?

North Korea- there if you get arrested - you end up dead. 

Who followed who into the 7-11? Did the foreigner follow the Thais or the other way round? Was the foreigner with the Thais from the start and it was an in-house dispute?

Was the victim's bike still at the scene? If not then it would be probable that he recovered enough to drive away after the incident?

All speculation of course but find the answer to the above and it will likely show who kicked it off.

And just for clarity, regardless of who's fault it was it does not justify the stamping of a victim who has no defense. In fact it does not justify stamping period.

Edited by chrisinth

9 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Who followed who into the 7-11? Did the foreigner follow the Thais or the other way round? Was the foreigner with the Thais from the start and it was an in-house dispute?

Was the victim's bike still at the scene? If not then it would be probable that he recovered enough to drive away after the incident?

All speculation of course but find the answer to the above and it will likely show who kicked it off.

And just for clarity, regardless of who's fault it was it does not justify the stamping of a victim who has no defense. In fact it does not justify stamping period.

Who cares. You don't kick unconscious in head if you don't want to kill him. If thai are jealous that falang have money.. let's see tourism without foreign money. You only see the well off foreigner come here. Lots of poor farang.

Edited by Iamtoofat

35 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

North Korea- there if you get arrested - you end up dead. 

South Korea is not much better.  It is not uncommon for foreigners to be spat at in the street.  Dating a Korean girl in Korea is not easy!   Thailand is far friendlier, both from a government/visa perspective and from most of the locals.

11 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

South Korea is not much better.  It is not uncommon for foreigners to be spat at in the street.  Dating a Korean girl in Korea is not easy!   Thailand is far friendlier, both from a government/visa perspective and from most of the locals.

True. But thai do hate us. For me it has been tiring. I don't know why they hate us; we only come for a holiday and give them money.

35 minutes ago, Iamtoofat said:

True. But thai do hate us. For me it has been tiring. I don't know why they hate us; we only come for a holiday and give them money.

really????? 5555. you my friend are exactly why I log onto this forum. what on earth are you saying to make them hate you?

1 minute ago, Happy enough said:

really????? 5555. you my friend are exactly why I log onto this forum. what on earth are you saying to make them hate you?

They hate you because they are jealous of what we've got compared to what they have and that's a fact I was riding my bike once in jomtien pulled up at a set of lights and there was this thai guy wearing a t-shirt and on the back it said tourists go home. Yes sure there is a lot of people that like us but a lot hate us to and that's fair enough there's a lot up of idiot that are attracted to Thailand.

These incidents aren't about bravado or heroism and there are no rules. Its just about the enjoyment a retarded mind gets from inflicting severe pain and dismemberment on someone else. Which is why in a situation like this discretion is better than valor, it won't be a fair fight and even if not outnumbered you soon will be.

If you are a good fighter you need to take down multiple opponents quickly and viciously to even the numbers asap, then you face the chance of jail time if you accidentally killed one of them. I'm sure plenty know the sort of moves than can incapacitate quickly, but they are dangerous by their very nature. A real no win situation.

42 minutes ago, Eli1 said:

They hate you because they are jealous of what we've got compared to what they have and that's a fact I was riding my bike once in jomtien pulled up at a set of lights and there was this thai guy wearing a t-shirt and on the back it said tourists go home. Yes sure there is a lot of people that like us but a lot hate us to and that's fair enough there's a lot up of idiot that are attracted to Thailand.

Sad. They should improve Thailand then. 

47 minutes ago, Eli1 said:

I've never experienced that or seen anyone wearing a t shirt like that. that would be a big no all over the place. i'd imagine he won't go to far with that attitude. perhaps his gf is with a foreigner. who knows

1 hour ago, Happy enough said:

They hate us with their eyes.   Maybe Thailand invade Australia one day. If you can't see the Thai' s hate; you have atleast mild autism. 

Edited by Iamtoofat
Auto correct errors

Just now, Iamtoofat said:

They hate us with their eyes.   Maybe Thailand image Australia one day. If you can't see the Thai' s hate; you have atleast mills autism. 

for gods sake. I don't know what to say. what part of Thailand are you staying? seriously.

8 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

for gods sake. I don't know what to say. what part of Thailand are you staying? seriously.

Sorry. I used sloppy language. Not all Thai people hate foreigners. What is more annoying is the delusional old farts who deny reality.  I don't care if the Thai equivalent of a one nation/dpk/brexit voter hates me. It just seems this attitude is more prevelant in thailand than it should be.  

15 hours ago, Foozool said:

But better not doing that, because they might get back to him with machete or even worse than that. 

That kind of Thai even don't hesitate to attack to their own people even more than 4 to 1. It is not only about foreign people.

in that case : change the tear gas for a machine gun,or start to learn  How to fight of 50 armed attackers.........hm....that will learn them !

The foreigner didn't get the memo, thai's never fight fair so just walk away if you can.

There's a lot of rubbish here about fighting fair or not etc. Thai culture is not the same as farang culture. You want to live here then accept that "fair" in farang is not "fair" in Thai. It's different!
And talking of "fair". What will those people talking "fair" be saying the about the US (pop 325m) in relation to a fight with N.Korea (pop 24m)? (Not that I support that idiot, he should be exterminated).

21 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

The four assailants must have felt wonderfully brave after this attack.  Prayut should arrange for them have a year's boot camp with some of his nastiest senior sergeant majors.  They would teach them what bravery is.

:cheesy: No, they wouldn't they would just reinforce what I heard a while ago - "Farangs fight to win, Thais fight to kill"