Non-O Visa for Non-resident in Thailand

Can I get some info on this please as I was in KK today for info only and they told me to first, leave country and apply for a non O. 

I am registered as living with my GF and Son who is 6 months old. Registered meaning we have a joint tenancy over 3 properties in 2.5 years of being together

I'm currently on a tourist visa which expires in 3 weeks.

I am on the birth certificate as my only means of proof of our relation.

Is this and proof of funds enough to get the non O?

41 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Can I get some info on this please as I was in KK today for info only and they told me to first, leave country and apply for a non O. 

I am registered as living with my GF and Son who is 6 months old. Registered meaning we have a joint tenancy over 3 properties in 2.5 years of being together

I'm currently on a tourist visa which expires in 3 weeks.

I am on the birth certificate as my only means of proof of our relation.

Is this and proof of funds enough to get the non O?

If you go to Vientiane or Savannakhet you will not need financial proof to get a single entry non-o visa based upon being the parent of a Thai.

You only will need your child's birth certificate plus a copy and a copy of their house book registry.

• Like 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

If you go to Vientiane or Savannakhet you will not need financial proof to get a single entry non-o visa based upon being the parent of a Thai.

You only will need your child's birth certificate plus a copy and a copy of their house book registry.

So I should get the lad a Thai passport pronto if I intend on turning up with the boy and his mom to get this non o which entitles me to 90 days stay?

6 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

So I should get the lad a Thai passport pronto if I intend on turning up with the boy and his mom to get this non o which entitles me to 90 days stay?

They don't have to be with you to apply for the non-o visa.

They also don't have to have passports to enter Laos. They get can get border passes that allow a 3 day stay in Laos. They cost about 50 baht and available at offices shortly before the bridge. 

Near the end of the 90 day entry from the non-o visa you can apply for a 60 day extension to visit your child at a immigration office.

A few more uncertainties:

1) Is there a limit on re-entry permits on a non-O visa?

2) Does the re-entry permit consume an entire page in the passport?

3) Will Penang care one way or the other if there is an unused re-entry permit in the passport when attempting to extend to a year non-O?

13 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

A few more uncertainties:

1) Is there a limit on re-entry permits on a non-O visa?

2) Does the re-entry permit consume an entire page in the passport?

3) Will Penang care one way or the other if there is an unused re-entry permit in the passport when attempting to extend to a year non-O?

1. You can get as many re-entry permits as you want to for the 90 day permit to stay from the non-o visa. If you expected to do 3 or more of them getting a multiple re-entry permit (3800 baht fee) would be an option.

2. A little more than half a page. Less if they do the stamp crossways on the page.

3. No

You would apply for a multiple entry non-o visa not extend your single entry visa.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

1. You can get as many re-entry permits as you want to for the 90 day permit to stay from the non-o visa. If you expected to do 3 or more of them getting a multiple re-entry permit (3800 baht fee) would be an option.

2. A little more than half a page. Less if they do the stamp crossways on the page.

3. No

You would apply for a multiple entry non-o visa not extend your single entry visa.

Thank you, that's good information.

I was under the impression that in Vientiane, the only multiple entry visa I could obtain would be a six-month tourist visa for 5000 baht.  I think it required something else, that I don't recall at the moment, for which I was unable to comply.  I want the non-O because I will soon renew my Thai DL, and would like to renew for five years.  I've been told that with the non-O visa such is possible, whereas if I come in without such a visa, I can only get a year or two.  Again, the money is one part, but the major motivation for pursuit of the non-O is to reduce the hassle of constant trips to governments offices.  A lot of time is consumed in the endless rounds of paperwork.

7 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

I was under the impression that in Vientiane, the only multiple entry visa I could obtain would be a six-month tourist visa for 5000 baht.

I was writing about a re-entry permit that allows multiple re-entries for as long as the 90 day entry from the non-o visa is valid. You get the re-entry permit at Thai immigration at the bridge on the Nong Khai side of it.

• 2 months later...

UPDATE:  Finally reached a dead end.  The law requires that the dependent for whom the visa is applied must live with the visa applicant.  Code # 2.18.  So, for any others attempting the same thing, this is a heads up.  You can apply for a dependent who lives with you at home, but not for one living elsewhere.

11 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

UPDATE:  Finally reached a dead end.  The law requires that the dependent for whom the visa is applied must live with the visa applicant.  Code # 2.18.  So, for any others attempting the same thing, this is a heads up.  You can apply for a dependent who lives with you at home, but not for one living elsewhere.

Clause 2.18 of the police order is for an extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai not to apply for a non-o visa.

There is no requirement for the child to be living with you to get a single entry non-o visa to visit them.