Healthcare options

wildwildbill

Planning on spending a year or so in Thailand with the family very soon. Both my wife and daughter are dual Thai/UK nationals and my wife has been living in the UK for most of the last nine years. My wife seems happy to be covered by 30B local health care and thinks our daughter would be eligible too? She has a Thai birth cert and passport but was born in the UK and has only been to Thailand once for a month's holiday. Getting extra cover looks expensive so not quite sure what to do. I will be getting basic backpacker cover insurance for a few months to see if I can get a job with healthcare cover or extend for a year if not. What to make sure everyone has basic cover so appreciate anyone else's experiences.

Your daughter is eligible -- all Thai citizens are -- but if as seems likely she is not listed in a tabian baan  (house registration) that may be an impediment. The 30 baht scheme does not allow for care in any government hospital, only in the one which covers the area where the person is listed in a tabian ban (emergencies being an exception).

Suggest you try to get your daughter added to whatever tabian baan your wife is listed in, assuming that you will all be spending time in that general location.