Thai People Are Warned Of "silent" Diseases

Jai Dee

Thai people are warned of "silent" diseases

The director of the Disease Prevention and Control Office in Nakhon Ratchasima province, Md. Somchai Tangsuphalai, has issued a warning that “silent” diseases are threatening over 70 percent of Thai people.

He said these people are unaware that they either have high blood pressure, diabetes, or high blood cholesterol. Many of them are drinking and smoking while refusing to eat vegetables and fruits as well as exercising. As a result, they have become obese and potbellied.

Md. Somchai said these diseases can be prevented by exercising at least 30 minutes per day and eating more fruits and vegetables while avoiding consuming food items that have high cholesterol and sugar levels. He has advised them to eat foods cooked with soybean oil, and it is important that they quit smoking and drinking alcoholic beverages.

According to a survey conducted from 2004 to 2006, 39,390 people between 15 and 60 years of age had risky habits that can set off various diseases. Many of them were males because they had higher frequencies of drinking and smoking, adding that males with high-risk habits smoked 13 cigarettes (or more) a day.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 04 January 2007

The director of the Disease Prevention and Control Office in Nakhon Ratchasima province, Md. Somchai Tangsuphalai, has issued a warning that “silent” diseases are threatening over 70 percent of Thai people.

He said these people are unaware that they either have high blood pressure, diabetes, or high blood cholesterol. Many of them are drinking and smoking while refusing to eat vegetables and fruits as well as exercising. As a result, they have become obese and potbellied.

Md. Somchai said these diseases can be prevented by exercising at least 30 minutes per day and eating more fruits and vegetables while avoiding consuming food items that have high cholesterol and sugar levels. He has advised them to eat foods cooked with soybean oil, and it is important that they quit smoking and drinking alcoholic beverages.

According to a survey conducted from 2004 to 2006, 39,390 people between 15 and 60 years of age had risky habits that can set off various diseases. Many of them were males because they had higher frequencies of drinking and smoking, adding that males with high-risk habits smoked 13 cigarettes (or more) a day.

A good informative article with relevant and important advice offered.

If you want to enjoy the pleasures of Thailand or where ever " you lay your hat ", the above should enable you to do so for many more years to come.

Moderation, sensibility and exercise can extend your quality of life. :D

Again it,s your choice at the end of the day.........................

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

Soybean oil??? Does that mean that I'm wasting my money buying 400 baht per liter olive oil.

Soybean oil??? Does that mean that I'm wasting my money buying 400 baht per liter olive oil.

I'm with you Gary on this one and always buy Olive Oil and so far the wife has had three heart attacks. Not because of the oil I use but more from her having a minor fit everytime I pay a small fortune compared to her choice of greasy sunflower oil for 60 baht instead...

Thai food tastes terrible when coooked with olive oil, so I always use sunflower oil for it and save the olive oil for western dishes.

comparison of different cooking oils:

product		 saturated	mono-unsaturated	 polyunsaturated
maize oil		12.2		 26.1				 57
olive oil		14.4		 72.1				 9.1
rape oil		 6.8		  58.6				 30.2
thistle oil	  9			10.9				 75.7
sesame oil	   14.8		 39.1				 41.7
soy oil		  14.9		 22.3				 58.4
sunflower oil	11.1		20.9				  63.6
wheat-germ oil   16.6		19.3				  59.7

the cheapest oil for frying and the more expensive ones for salads or short cooking.

for nutritional properties try the sesame seed oil, has a very distinct smell and taste - popular in north of thailand. Good for chinese dishes. In tesco 70 baht for 630 ml. Sometimes you can find it blended with any vegetable oil.

Edited by londonthai

Thai food tastes terrible when coooked with olive oil, so I always use sunflower oil for it and save the olive oil for western dishes.

comparison of different cooking oils:

product		 saturated	mono-unsaturated	 polyunsaturated
maize oil		12.2		 26.1				 57
olive oil		14.4		 72.1				 9.1
rape oil		 6.8		  58.6				 30.2
thistle oil	  9			10.9				 75.7
sesame oil	   14.8		 39.1				 41.7
soy oil		  14.9		 22.3				 58.4
sunflower oil	11.1		20.9				  63.6
wheat-germ oil   16.6		19.3				  59.7

I sure don't use the olive oil because of the taste. I can't tell a bit of difference between the bargain oils and the olive oil. I have her use the olive oil for everything she cooks for me.