Policeman drowns after jumping into Bangkok canal to catch drug suspect

webfact

Policeman drowns after jumping into Bangkok canal to catch drug suspect

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A policeman drowned in a Bangkok canal on Thursday night after he jumped into the water to try to catch a fleeing suspect.

The body of Pol Senior Sgt Maj Sanlak Singsuphan, 45, was found at 7.30pm, about 20 minutes after he disappeared into the water at Klong Prawes Burirom in Bangkok’s Lat Krabang district.

Sanlak and two other policemen were running after a drug suspect who fled from his house. The suspect jumped into the water to try to swim across the canal to escape and Sanlak went in after him.

The two other policemen tried to find a way to cross the 20-metre wide canal and wait for the suspect at the other side, but they saw their colleague disappear under the water and called for assistance.

Scuba divers found Sanlak's body after a 20 minute search.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30323496

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-11

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

RIP policemen.  :wai:

You lost your life because of a drug user, taker, seller or pusher.

That's why I say drug people deserve death...  nothing less.

Smoke a joint get death? You must be a riot

What a waste.

Annual mandatory fitness tests, along with learning to swim, should be implemented. 

I can't imagine how shocked I would be to see a police officer jump in water and immediately start sinking, only for his two colleagues to fail to rescue him, presumably because they cannot swim either. But then one has to remember that just because they wear a Police uniform, doesn't mean are are anything like the Police of other nations.

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

all my many marijuana smoker freinds both here in Thailand and world-wide thank you for your enlightenment, wisdom and compassion,

oh, and have another drink, won't you?  :burp: then maybe drive??? 

w/all due respect, you have done that, haven't you? driven after a few drinks?

He will die a hero but if a poor or non- swimmer, common sense says you don't jump in...you do a quick risk analysis at that time...think think think

you shouldn't jump in even if someone is drowning unless you are confident in your swimming abilities...you don't want 2 victims...

emotional response vs common sense...

jumping into a canal knowing u cannot swim is the motherload of "connecting 2 dots failure" . 

perhaps a submarine could have saved the day??

even good swimmers fully clothed would think twice before doing this

Edited by atyclb

1 hour ago, atyclb said:

jumping into a canal knowing u cannot swim is the motherload of "connecting 2 dots failure" . 

perhaps a submarine could have saved the day??

Perhaps he didn't know he couldn't swim !! Maybe the need had never arisen before :) Oooops, I shouldn't have done that.... 

12 hours ago, steven100 said:

Good for you. I respect your well educated opinion. Death penalty to all CEO's of tobacco companies....nothing less. You don't smoke, do you?:ermm:

Edited by dinsdale

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Good for you. I respect your well educated opinion. Death penalty to all CEO's of tobacco companies....nothing less. You don't smoke, do you?:ermm:

Only after sexual intercourse and thats more akin to spontaneous combustion

Edited by oldlakey

4 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Perhaps he didn't know he couldn't swim !! Maybe the need had never arisen before :) Oooops, I shouldn't have done that.... 

analogous to jumping out of an airplane without a parachute 

13 hours ago, jenifer d said:

all my many marijuana smoker freinds both here in Thailand and world-wide thank you for your enlightenment, wisdom and compassion,

oh, and have another drink, won't you?  :burp: then maybe drive??? 

w/all due respect, you have done that, haven't you? driven after a few drinks?

no ... I don't drive a car if over the legal limit.

Drugs are illegal and I see what they have done to many country towns ....   many youths are taking drugs every day and your trying to convince me that that's ok ....

sorry ....   I say no to drugs  

23 hours ago, atyclb said:

Wouldn't contact with the sewer water in Bangkok canals be deadly to even the greatest swimmers?

11 hours ago, steven100 said:

Drugs are illegal and I see what they have done to many country towns ....   many youths are taking drugs every day and your trying to convince me that that's ok ....

Perhaps everyone that does not eat the same food as you should be shot also? Or a person that flushes TP down the loo also. I am curious do you believe a coward that refuses to serve his nation in time of war should also be shot?

42 minutes ago, Grumpy Duck said:

Perhaps everyone that does not eat the same food as you should be shot also? Or a person that flushes TP down the loo also. I am curious do you believe a coward that refuses to serve his nation in time of war should also be shot?

Some of those 'cowards' become politicians and start new wars.

10 hours ago, Grumpy Duck said:

your comment doesn't make sense. I'm saying drugs are illegal so if one chooses to take them then suffer the fate.

On 8/12/2017 at 6:57 AM, steven100 said:

No, on many occasions you have said drug users should be shot, even paid a salute to the Philippine president for having suspected drug users murdured without due process

How do know what your blood alcohol level is when drinking? Do you have an analyzer? Driving while intoxicated is also a crime. A crime in which far more innocents are killed as a result. 

No, I do not drink at all or use illegal drugs. 

23 hours ago, Grumpy Duck said:

I clarified my point in another reply. You have stated many times drug users should be shot. 

A simple question plainly stated now clarified further, "do you believe a person that refuses to serve in their countries military during a time of war should also be shot?"

36 minutes ago, Grumpy Duck said:

I clarified my point in another reply. You have stated many times drug users should be shot. 

A simple question plainly stated now clarified further, "do you believe a person that refuses to serve in their countries military during a time of war should also be shot?"

I believe that anyone who starts a war should have to fight in the front lines.