Where to buy weedkiller and how long does it last ?

I have a small strip of land at the side of the house that the gf wants to plant some stuff, small lime tree and some vegs etc .

The plot has never been "worked " so needless to say was full of weeds and what looks like coarse grass.

I've weeded/hoed it but it's all coming back.

What I'd like to do is put some weedkiller down to clear it out and then start afresh in a month or two.

a) would that work ?

B) where do I buy weedkiller ?

Personally, I wouldn't put dangerous chemicals into soil that I intend to use for food production.

I would put a big tarp down which will kill all the weeds(due to the lack of light) the same as the weedkiller, but will also improve soil condition.

Once the weeds are gone then move the tarp to the next section and start work on the cleared section ...rinse and repeat!

Agree with @onthesoi, forget weedkiller.

For a small area ,weed, hoe, weed, hoe, ad nauseam. Pile up the weeds by the side of the beds, let them die and dry out, 6 months you'll have more soil.

Cow shit, chicken shit, rice husk, work it all in, in 12 months time you'll see the difference. 

No quick fix for soil improving, just a bit of graft.

Thanks gents, I will take your advice(s) and put my back into it !!

I have another patch at the front ( about 50sqm ) that was a proper building site !! This is gonna be an ornamental garden ,all gravel, beach seat, spirit house and a few pot plants with maybe a tree in the corner . I've been busy clearing that and digging a trench for the incoming water pipe as it was literally just laid on the ground !!
Have enjoyed my working in the garden hours ( 7.30 - 9.00 am and 5.00 to 6.30 pm ) shade permitting.

I asked about the weedkiller in case I had to wait some months after, but forget that now.

11 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Put a pen of chickens on it for a few weeks.

Another good option, chooks will fertilise your soil also, keep the pen small and mobile then slowly move it as you work behind it ...even hit with tarp first to soften up the soil then put the pen down for chooks to clear the aftermath, or try both on different plots and see which works best for your land.

• 2 weeks later...

As usual, advice not to use 'dangerous chemicals.

Despite all the recent bad press, Glyphosate is pretty innocuous compared to the damage caused daily using a car, washing powder etc. I avoid using it unnecessarily but for preparation of uncultivated land it is ideal. Residue after five days in most soils: zero.

Can be bought in any farmers' shop. 2% solution will do it.

Archived