Coming To Bangkok Next Week.... Need Some Info

jon200pa

I've watched this forum for 3 years (+ or -) and this is the first time writing. My wife is Thai and we are flying in to Bangkok next week for a month long vacation. We don't know how much money in travelers checks we are allowed to bring in. Is there a cap? Or duty to be paid beyond a certain $ amount? Any light on this subject would be appreciated. Oh yeah, hows the safety these days? It won't be over $20,000.00 I heard about that already.

IMHO the best way would be to leave it in an account in your home country and withdraw using ATM's. Bring a few hundred pounds/dollars in cash to change, but leave the majority in an accecisble acount.

Entirely agree.. ATM is the only way to go.. both from a security and exchange rate point of view. As for security, I have no hesitation but to continue as normal.

Enjoy your holiday.

Cheers, Bapak

I've watched this forum for 3 years (+ or -) and this is the first time writing. My wife is Thai and we are flying in to Bangkok next week for a month long vacation. We don't know how much money in travelers checks we are allowed to bring in. Is there a cap? Or duty to be paid beyond a certain $ amount? Any light on this subject would be appreciated. Oh yeah, hows the safety these days? It won't be over $20,000.00 I heard about that already.

20,000 US for a month? thats a good holiday in Thailand!!

Thinking about buying some product to send back home for our business and want cash in hand for the transaction. That's why the extra needed money.
I agree that the best balance is enough cash to use in the first couple of days and the rest drawn from an ATM. Most international bank logos are accepted like Cirrus Maestro Visa etc but be advised that the there is a daily limit on withdrawals roughly the equivalent to what it is in your own country so if you expect to need a large sum plan in advance. That may mean you are more comfortable with TCs. I dont think there is a limit on what you bring in any more as there is no customs declaration form to fill in on arrival Edited by Mahout Angrit

I really appreciate everybodys help. This forum has always been on top of every news breaking event and very accurate also. Looking forward to spending a month back in Thailand. Sad but will probably be looking over my shoulder this time. I've traveled in most of the South American countries and have always had to watch my guard and my back at all times. Thailand has always been non-threatenening to me. However, I'm sure my somewhat paronoid attitude will be exposed this trip. By the way has anyone been to Angor Wat? Whats the cost from Bangkok and how long does a person need to see it?

IMHO the best way would be to leave it in an account in your home country and withdraw using ATM's. Bring a few hundred pounds/dollars in cash to change, but leave the majority in an accecisble acount.

Entirely agree.. ATM is the only way to go.. both from a security and exchange rate point of view. As for security, I have no hesitation but to continue as normal.

Enjoy your holiday.

Cheers, Bapak

Yes. Most ATMs that I've seen put a withdrawl limit of 25 bank notes. So if you and your missus each hit the ATM once a day, you can pull 25,000 baht each or about $900 USD total, double that if you go to two different banks.

I travel all over the world and haven't used travellers checks in years. I only use airport currency exchange as a last resort because they are such a ripoff. You will also get ripped off on the exchange rate with travellers checks.

I wouldn't take out any more than you need for obvious security reasons. Since you are planning to do mulitple large transactions, I would let your home bank know where you are going to be, how much you are planning to be taking out, so that they can be on the lookout if you happen to run into trouble.

Good luck. Safe travels.

I travel all over the world and haven't used travellers checks in years. I only use airport currency exchange as a last resort because they are such a ripoff. You will also get ripped off on the exchange rate with travellers checks.

The airport bank exchange gives the same rate as any bank.