nationwide debit card in thailand

So are you paying BA in the U.K. or a Thai/overseas airline in Thailand?

Last time I paid an agent in Thailand for an EVA flight the local transaction charge was 3%. Always a decent exchange rate, and no foreign use charges, on My Nationwide Visa credit card........ note, I use credit not debit card.

Just now, Jip99 said:

So are you paying BA in the U.K. or a Thai/overseas airline in Thailand?

Last time I paid an agent in Thailand for an EVA flight the local transaction charge was 3%. Always a decent exchange rate, and no foreign use charges, on My Nationwide Visa credit card........ note, I use credit not debit card.

im paying BA in Thai baht from Thailand  by NW debit card so they will chard me % commission and probable get a bad exchange rate 

43 minutes ago, salavan said:

im paying BA in Thai baht from Thailand  by NW debit card so they will chard me % commission and probable get a bad exchange rate 

Apologies, I have just checked my BA quote for next year and it is indeed priced in Baht.

You will not incur a 'local' transaction fee, you should get a fair exchange rate but there may be charges on the debit card usage for "Non-Sterling transaction fee".

Which debit card do you use... I.e. the Flexaccount visa debit card seems to attract a 2% transaction fee.

48 minutes ago, Oxx said:

The BA website is really annoying, forcing you to use the currency based upon your location.  Use a VPN to make it appear that you're in the UK, then pay in Sterling and avoid the charge.

If you check you should find that doesnt work. They set the currency according to where the flight originates. So a ticket starting in BKK is quoted in THB and one starting in LHR is quoted in GBP, regardless of there the purchaser appears to be. And in fact the BA website allows you to select your home country yourself, but this only has an impact on special offers and other local information.

The way to avoid such issues is to buy through a UK-based agent or consolidator, as mentioned. Though attention should always be paid to the total price being paid.

I always buy my yearly BKK>LHR>BKK ticket through a UK agent and I always pay in GPB and I always pay less than the airline price (though I dont fly with BA).