Wi-Fi

lelapin

Is this TMN fiber or cable service?
If its fiber I guess they terminated using a small ONT box and supplied you with a modem router?
Why do you need a new router?

Have you considered another ISP or are you a new TMN customer?

2 hours ago, maxpower said:

Is this TMN fiber or cable service?
If its fiber I guess they terminated using a small ONT box and supplied you with a modem router?
Why do you need a new router?

Have you considered another ISP or are you a new TMN customer?

I have recently changed my internet connection to fiber.

The last month the internet connection is going down 3-6 times a day and is quite often slow.

The engineer came round and said it was a problem with my router.

I have a TP-link TL WR741 ND which I thought was in the house when I arrived 4 years ago. I don't know the expected life span of a router.

I am based on Darkside in Pattaya and from discussions with friends the other ISP's in this area are not much better.

3 hours ago, johng said:

TMN ? Can we assume that is Tipmanee cable Pattaya ?
Do they require you to use their supplied modem/media converter ? Is the service ADSL/VDSL , Ethernet / WiFi or Fiber optic...what speed up and down ?
Do you need to budget or is cost
not a problem ?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00LD using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You are correct with the supplier. I have a TP-Link TL WR 741 ND router and thought that I had fiber. I don't mind too much re the cost but want a reliable med to fast line speed. Now it is down 3-6 times as day.

Any other ISP you would recommend on The Darkside Pattay

1 hour ago, lelapin said:

I have recently changed my internet connection to fiber.

The last month the internet connection is going down 3-6 times a day and is quite often slow.

The engineer came round and said it was a problem with my router.

I have a TP-link TL WR741 ND which I thought was in the house when I arrived 4 years ago. I don't know the expected life span of a router.

TMN usually terminate their domestic fibre with a router like this:

HTB1Bx6rHVXXXXXlXXXXq6xXFXXXw.jpg

which they sell for a couple of thousand Baht.

If they didnt supply one of those then they will have given you a smaller ethernet fibre modem which presumably you are connecting to your TPLink with an ethernet cable. A picture of it would help.

If the engineer has told you that your router is faulty then he is probably correct. Depending on how it is set up you may be able to connect your PC directly to the fibre modem with an ethernet cable, thus bypassing your router. If that is fast and reliable then you have isolated the problem and you need a new router, or your old one needs looking at. Routers dont really have a fixed lifetime but I wouldnt be very surprised if one become unreliable after 4 years, though it is usually the modem or wifi parts that fail first. Yours is a fairly cheap model.

If there is no improvement when connected directly to the TMN modem then you will know that it is probably the service/line that is faulty.

I tried TMN fibre once and found it very slow outside of Thailand, so I ditched it. However fibre should be very reliable even if the ISP is slow. When testing speed you can only expect to get the maximum provided by your package to servers within Thailand.

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

TMN usually terminate their domestic fibre with a router like this:

HTB1Bx6rHVXXXXXlXXXXq6xXFXXXw.jpg

which they sell for a couple of thousand Baht.

If they didnt supply one of those then they will have given you a smaller ethernet fibre modem which presumably you are connecting to your TPLink with an ethernet cable. A picture of it would help.

If the engineer has told you that your router is faulty then he is probably correct. Depending on how it is set up you may be able to connect your PC directly to the fibre modem with an ethernet cable, thus bypassing your router. If that is fast and reliable then you have isolated the problem and you need a new router, or your old one needs looking at. Routers dont really have a fixed lifetime but I wouldnt be very surprised if one become unreliable after 4 years, though it is usually the modem or wifi parts that fail first. Yours is a fairly cheap model.

If there is no improvement when connected directly to the TMN modem then you will know that it is probably the service/line that is faulty.

I tried TMN fibre once and found it very slow outside of Thailand, so I ditched it. However fibre should be very reliable even if the ISP is slow. When testing speed you can only expect to get the maximum provided by your package to servers within Thailand.

image.thumb.png.1e53e4aa91a6eb64c763ff11bf067ec7.png

Looks like you are committed to trying another modem.

If you don't want to break the bank something like an Asus RT-N12 router will do the job. Should be available around sin city. I assume you just want a more reliable version of what you have already.

Note - A new router will require your TMN login details for pppoe.

If that's a notebook in the photo maybe best using LAN on the router.

8 hours ago, lelapin said:

image.thumb.png.1e53e4aa91a6eb64c763ff11bf067ec7.png

OK. That Hioso (HiSo? LOL) seems to be a fibre ethernet modem as I mentioned. If you turn off the wifi on your laptop and connect the grey internet cable that comes out of the modem directly to your laptop then with any luck you should get an internet connection and will have bypassed your TPLink. Test your connection. If it is fast and stable over a period of hours then there is probably nothing wrong with your line, and you just need a new access point for your wifi. You can buy these quite cheaply at Tukcom and I would recommend the JIB shop. You can either buy a simple access point, or a router like the TPLink that can also act as an access point. Both available from around 1000B and either would work with another ISP.

Or you can buy the fibre modem/router I mentioned above from TMN and that will replace both your current boxes and will provide wifi. One advantage of this is that TMN should come round and set it up for you for free. You may even be able to negotiate a discount on the router if you make noises about cancelling. But this router may not be of much use to you if you switch ISPs in the future.

If you dont get an internet connection when connecting your laptop directly to the Hioso then put the cables back as they were, get a second ethernet cable and connect it between the laptop and the TPLink, and again turn off the wifi on the laptop. See how that works over a period of hours.

If your connection is working but unstable even with the laptop connected directly to the Hioso then you need to get TMN back to show it to them, though as I mentioned they will probably have already tested this and ruled it out.

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

OK. That Hioso (HiSo? LOL) seems to be a fibre ethernet modem as I mentioned. If you turn off the wifi on your laptop and connect the grey internet cable that comes out of the modem directly to your laptop then with any luck you should get an internet connection and will have bypassed your TPLink. Test your connection. If it is fast and stable over a period of hours then there is probably nothing wrong with your line, and you just need a new access point for your wifi. You can buy these quite cheaply at Tukcom and I would recommend the JIB shop. You can either buy a simple access point, or a router like the TPLink that can also act as an access point. Both available from around 1000B and either would work with another ISP.

Or you can buy the fibre modem/router I mentioned above from TMN and that will replace both your current boxes and will provide wifi. One advantage of this is that TMN should come round and set it up for you for free. You may even be able to negotiate a discount on the router if you make noises about cancelling. But this router may not be of much use to you if you switch ISPs in the future.

If you dont get an internet connection when connecting your laptop directly to the Hioso then put the cables back as they were, get a second ethernet cable and connect it between the laptop and the TPLink, and again turn off the wifi on the laptop. See how that works over a period of hours.

If your connection is working but unstable even with the laptop connected directly to the Hioso then you need to get TMN back to show it to them, though as I mentioned they will probably have already tested this and ruled it out.

Keep it simple or the poor guy will lose the plot.

If he connects his computer directly to the ONT his operating system will need to negotiate the pppoe account.

Its actually an advantage to have a stand alone de-multiplexer (ont) as it gives the customer more routing options .

1 hour ago, maxpower said:

Keep it simple or the poor guy will lose the plot.

If he connects his computer directly to the ONT his operating system will need to negotiate the pppoe account.

Its actually an advantage to have a stand alone de-multiplexer (ont) as it gives the customer more routing options .

If I remember correctly the TMN fibre modem handles the connection itself and does not require PPPOE to be set up on the router.

I could be mistaken, and other parameters (DHCP/DNS) may come into play, hence my suggestion to try it and see. With luck he will get an internet connection without having to do anything, and that will be fine. If it doesnt work it's no big deal and the leads can just be returned to how they were before he started, and the wifi turned back on his laptop, and everything will be fine.

As long as no settings are altered no permanent harm can be done, and with this simple test he might be able to prove where the fault is.

Thanks guys for all your suggestions. Unfortunately although I had a 20 year career in data processing (IT)  that was many years ago and I think that my 76 year old brain would struggle to carry out your advice. The TMN engineer is calling tomorrow  and if he suggests a new router from them I think I will go along with it. As someone mentioned that although theirs may not be the best at the lowest price they will install it free.

Of course since I submitted the post my internet connection has been working perfectly  - very fast 21 mbps and no down time - . I think that's called sod's law.