Can You Trick An Internet Provider?

Jockstar

I currently live in Oz and have cable internet. Its unlimited. Thats until you download 10G. Anymore then it slows down. Its generally a decent speed. But i do download bits and pieces over the month. If for example you use a file sharing program you also upload at the same time. So this also affects your 10G. Is there anyway to trick it to believe that i have downloaded less? Its 4th today and i'm already up to 7G as something i was downloading last month overran. I wont always use 10G but it would be good to have more. Cheers!

"unlimited 10g a month" :o

its unlikely that you would be able to find a suitable, and as wolfie says, legal alternative... that is not to say it cant be done but ive never heard of this and given that your next hop from your PC is your ISP, I cant see how you could wing it..

unlimited 10g a month"

I know i know. It is unlimited in the sense you dont get charged for going over this amount. But your speed slows down. I pay AUD$80 a month for this.

$80 thats a ripoff Jock, who are you using? try dodo or optus

The restricted amount deals seem to be rather more common Down Under than in Western Europe, and are of course convenient for the providers who can get by on a lot less bandwidth and still cash in as much as a Western European ISP would - 80 AUD is a lot of money for that kind of connection IMO.

If you have the possibility, I agree with Bronco - take your business to another provider.

My Oz broadband connection is with Telstra BigPond at $59.95 per month, unlimited usage.

No slowdown at all.

My telephone account is also with Telstra and because of this I get a discount for the internet service.

At $80 per month I'd expect a naked secretary to be supplied as part of the deal.

10Gb a month. :o

I doubt you can trick them as the counting will be done on the ISP's machine.

Dumeter is a useful little programme for monitoring the speed of your link

and the amount you have down or uploaded. It can be set to warn you when you approach a preset limit. :D

I currently live in Oz and have cable internet. Its unlimited. Thats until you download 10G. Anymore then it slows down. Its generally a decent speed. But i do download bits and pieces over the month. If for example you use a file sharing program you also upload at the same time. So this also affects your 10G. Is there anyway to trick it to believe that i have downloaded less? Its 4th today and i'm already up to 7G as something i was downloading last month overran. I wont always use 10G but it would be good to have more. Cheers!

The rumour about the Scots as being stingy bastards is apparantly true. :o

My Oz broadband connection is with Telstra BigPond at $59.95 per month, unlimited usage.

No slowdown at all.

I bet that is the cable deal, right? I'd love that, tried to get it but but I don't have a foxtel cable running to my property and they only foxtel by sattelite now.

Jockstar, check this out, iinet are a very competitive provider on ADSL2+ service CLICK HERE FOR THE LINK

I am on the 4 gig peak 4 gig off peak ADSL2+ plan for $40 a month. For a 60 gig plan it's $70.

Check it out.