Grace period for extension of stay based on work?

Hi Thaivisa,

I'm currently holding a valid work permit that I got on my initial non-B Visa (the one I entered the country with 80+ days ago).

My non-B Visa is about to expire and it seems unlikely that my employer will be able to provide the necessary documents required by immigration for the extension of stay before my current visa expires.

Is there any "grace period" once the non-B is expired, or will I need to restart a new non-B out of Thailand from scratch at that point?

What happens to my current work permit if my non-B expires ?

I'm assuming my options at this point are letting my visa expire and overstaying (sounds really bad) until my employer figures out the documents, or visa running land or air (cancelling my current non B and coming back on a visa exempt 15 or 30 days entry), then exiting again to do a new non B at a later time. Am I missing other options?

Edited by TheFox

There is no grace period. You must apply for an extension of stay based upon working by the end of your 90 entry or leave the country. 

You could apply for an extension, pay 1900 baht and be given 7 days to leave the country after the application is denied. Perhaps that would allow enough time for your employer to supply the paperwork for a new non-b visa at a nearby embassy or consulate.

8 minutes ago, TheFox said:

How long should I schedule for to have a non-B processed in a neighbouring country? What's the best location to do this?

You apply for the visa the morning of one day and pickup your passport the next afternoon at most nearby locations.

Vientiane Laos or Penang Malaysia are both good locations to apply for the visa.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TheFox said:

One last question: is there a certain number of days the visa must still be valid for in order to get the extension of stay, or can you do it until the very last day of the visa date?

You can apply on the last day of the 90 day entry (not the visa) if you have to.