Driving myself to cambodia to do Non-o me in/out

18 hours ago, bberrythailand said:

They ask 1500 Thai baht when the visa is only $35 USD.

I never pay with baht and they give me back my passport instantly.

Great if it can be guaranteed. People doing border hops are a bit more vulnerable than those just travelling into Cambodia, is it worth the risk for a couple of hundred baht.

At the end of the day it is each to his own, it would cost me more to go to Pattaya or Bangkok to buy USD.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Great if it can be guaranteed. People doing border hops are a bit more vulnerable than those just travelling into Cambodia, is it worth the risk for a couple of hundred baht.

At the end of the day it is each to his own, it would cost me more to go to Pattaya or Bangkok to buy USD.

Banks near borders sometimes have USD.  One can also exchange in no-man's-land in some areas, with less than ideal rates, but better than what Cambodian immigration will give you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Banks near borders sometimes have USD.  One can also exchange in no-man's-land in some areas, with less than ideal rates, but better than what Cambodian immigration will give you.

Probably right, but if Thai baht is your normal currency why mess about, keep it simple. I did my first 6 years in Thailand on a Non Imm O and it worked for me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/19/2017 at 3:21 PM, bberrythailand said:

BAN LAEM is still better until they finish the construction at BAN PAKARD jungle.

Is that from personal experience? When were you last there? Did you go with visa run van? No problem with using Ban Pakaard. I did it a fortnight ago driving my own car alone. Perfectly civilised and simple. Are you scared of jungles? I love jungles.  "Don't get out of the boat" !!

You should consider leaving more early -- perhaps about 6:00 or 6:30 in the morning if you are driving yourself.

However, I cannot really think of many advantages to driving yourself vs. jumping on one of the Visa Run Vans. 2,800 baht and they will deal with everything including the driving while you get to nap or meet some new people on the van.  If something goes wrong or any issues at the border these folks have connections there and can make for a smooth resolution. They stop for breaks along the way and most provide lunch. You should be back in Pattaya by around 3:00 PM same day.

It has been many years since I have used one of these services but the only thing I didn't like was you are not in control of the driver / driving.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn
  • Haha 1

On 8/18/2017 at 7:34 AM, dave_boo said:

Once you get stamped you have to leave the immigration building.  That means that you're outside Thailand's jurisdiction.  I don't know if they will take umbrage at you 'gaming' the system for not actually be coming from a foreign country though if you use an agent right in sight of the immigration officer.

Think about being at the airport -- you land in Thailand but are not stamped in yet or when you leave you are stamped out but still in Thailand.

1 hour ago, JohnThailandJohn said:

You should consider leaving more early -- perhaps about 6:00 or 6:30 in the morning if you are driving yourself.

However, I cannot really think of many advantages to driving yourself vs. jumping on one of the Visa Run Vans. 2,800 baht and they will deal with everything including the driving while you get to nap or meet some new people on the van.  If something goes wrong or any issues at the border these folks have connections there and can make for a smooth resolution. They stop for breaks along the way and most provide lunch. You should be back in Pattaya by around 3:00 PM same day.

It has been many years since I have used one of these services but the only thing I didn't like was you are not in control of the driver / driving.

If you do not see the advantages of not taking a van, sorry... but it is hopeless...

2 minutes ago, bberrythailand said:

If you do not see the advantages of not taking a van, sorry... but it is hopeless...

Maybe you are right ... A sick person who has never done a border run to Cambodia before and doesn't understand the process or that he is entitled to a 60-days extension at immigration is probably best doing this and driving there on his own as his first experience.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JohnThailandJohn said:

One of the advantages of not taking the van, is you don't have to leave this early.  The border is open all day.

11 hours ago, JohnThailandJohn said:

while you get to nap

If it were a VIP van with captain's chair instead of bench-seats, perhaps.  Or if you get the front seat to yourself (they usually put someone else in the middle).  Generally, not good sleeping conditions, in my experience.  Yes, the locals sleep, sometimes falling over you while doing so - but not something I have been able to accomplish.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, JackThompson said:

One of the advantages of not taking the van, is you don't have to leave this early.  The border is open all day.

If it were a VIP van with captain's chair instead of bench-seats, perhaps.  Or if you get the front seat to yourself (they usually put someone else in the middle).  Generally, not good sleeping conditions, in my experience.  Yes, the locals sleep, sometimes falling over you while doing so - but not something I have been able to accomplish.

The most important is when you wake up with a truck wheels on your laps....

12 hours ago, vento said:

I'm here... Sorry for not responding... i did the Visa run yesterday and today was busy, so didn't have time to comment yet.

I didn't do the 60 extension which UB.Joe made me aware of, since my better half and kid are visiting family quite far away from where i am, and im not usually residing in Pattaya, but here to relax a bit.

As for taking the van, im quite tall, and  just don't feel like it. The only good thing i can think of, is meeting other people on the van. but that's about it.

As for the drive. it took 3.5 hour from central Pattaya  until i arrived at the parking. the trip to Cambodia was peaceful and i only had a 5 min break.  Im actually not really sure which one of the border checks i went to, but it had a big parking (several hundreds cars) on the right before the border buildings. parking was 80 baht.

I used the fixers and everything took about 20 minute i think. They where friendly and i sat chatting with a couple policemen (or something like that) and everything was quite uneventful. No queue going from Thailand, no Queue going back. First time i ever used fixers. would do on this border entry again another time.

The trip back home was different though. a bit more traffic and a lot of drivers had turned on their ego  mode. I had a couple of dangerous situation, i.e. people overtaking on the invisible third lane, which seems to exist, especially in areas with mountains and  limited visibility combined with rain. Also had i street dog running running out on the middle of the road and stopping and turning around, just in front of my car. i hit the brake very hard and was about 30cm or so from hitting him.

I left pattaya 11am, was back 7.15pm and had the easiest, cheapest and properly best visa run i ever did (not that i did that many though)

About the 60 days extension.. its an option i need to consider next time, but to be honest, i remember one time i made an extension and it was an nightmare. That was in pattaya, and everything was so confusing and chaotic, so many people, so much confusion, where to go next, which papers etc.,. Even though it only took me 3 hours or so, i think i almost prefer to spend an additional 5 hours and repeat this next time, get an additional 30 days.

Thanks A LOT for all of your input. much appreciated and made me feel much more relaxed going there.

Cheers

I would agree, a visit to the border is preferable to immigration. I left the country a few times for a short break, kill two birds with one stone. Malaysia on the train used to be an easy option although not so straightforward now they have electrified. Bit of a bonus that no visa is required.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, vento said:

I'm here... Sorry for not responding... i did the Visa run yesterday and today was busy, so didn't have time to comment yet.

I didn't do the 60 extension which UB.Joe made me aware of, since my better half and kid are visiting family quite far away from where i am, and im not usually residing in Pattaya, but here to relax a bit.

As for taking the van, im quite tall, and  just don't feel like it. The only good thing i can think of, is meeting other people on the van. but that's about it.

As for the drive. it took 3.5 hour from central Pattaya  until i arrived at the parking. the trip to Cambodia was peaceful and i only had a 5 min break.  Im actually not really sure which one of the border checks i went to, but it had a big parking (several hundreds cars) on the right before the border buildings. parking was 80 baht.

I used the fixers and everything took about 20 minute i think. They where friendly and i sat chatting with a couple policemen (or something like that) and everything was quite uneventful. No queue going from Thailand, no Queue going back. First time i ever used fixers. would do on this border entry again another time.

The trip back home was different though. a bit more traffic and a lot of drivers had turned on their ego  mode. I had a couple of dangerous situation, i.e. people overtaking on the invisible third lane, which seems to exist, especially in areas with mountains and  limited visibility combined with rain. Also had i street dog running running out on the middle of the road and stopping and turning around, just in front of my car. i hit the brake very hard and was about 30cm or so from hitting him.

I left pattaya 11am, was back 7.15pm and had the easiest, cheapest and properly best visa run i ever did (not that i did that many though)

About the 60 days extension.. its an option i need to consider next time, but to be honest, i remember one time i made an extension and it was an nightmare. That was in pattaya, and everything was so confusing and chaotic, so many people, so much confusion, where to go next, which papers etc.,. Even though it only took me 3 hours or so, i think i almost prefer to spend an additional 5 hours and repeat this next time, get an additional 30 days.

Thanks A LOT for all of your input. much appreciated and made me feel much more relaxed going there.

Cheers

Good choice mate ! And I confirm that it's ALWAYS better to do it this way than having to talk to any Thai in uniform ! Trust me !