Rental Agent

Wandr

Yes perfect homes are quite good.
From my experience of them last year there was a number of deductions from the deposit which they landed on me at checkout that were not specifically mentioned at check-in.
The big ones were somthing in the region of 600+ baht for cleaning the air-conditioning units. But there was no way these units had been cleaned for a couple of years before that, I personally cleaned the filters of the thick layer of dust it had collected a few days after check-in.
They also added laundry of the duvet (@ double the price I paid at my local laundry a few days prior to check out).

Otherwise they were OK.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

chiangmaiproperties.co.th are the oldest Estate agents in Chiang mai .They have a web site with many properties all over C.M. I found them professional and good to deal with .I was using them to find a tenant for my property .

Similar opinion and experience to @Nick ZepTepi above in the past, both good and bad. Fees and a lack of care once the lease was signed: "Talk to the owner."

I also don't care for the way the company constantly spams Google Maps with self-promotional faux-reviews of condos. This violates Google's Terms and Conditions, by the way. These reviews can and should all be flagged--there's an option to do this next to each review.

Nor do I care for the way "someone" at the company passively-aggressively responds to *every single* review on Google, attacking or otherwise throwing shade toward anyone who dares to criticize his operation, even when the reviewer presents simple facts, while posting articles about how a "good tenant" should behave. Ha--I have an article or two I can write in response for him. (I think I've seen a farang owner--realtors 'round the world are all the same sort of people, never letting the truth get in the way of their greed.)

By the way, I think there's a lot of room in the market here for someone to come in with honest and top-notch service, that will grow by word of mouth. While writing this I remembered another company I dealt with regarding condo rentals, that kept referring to "speaking to the owner" with regard to my questions about rent, etc. Asking around confirmed what I already suspected--they own these condos, so were basically lying to me (for their perceived advantage in negotiations, or whatever it is these people think they will gain--really I think lying becomes second nature to them).

I also noticed the background of this other company, and it appears to be a farang who let a local company hire and train him, then went out on his own with his girlfriend to compete against his kind former employers. Nice, eh? (Disclaimer: No names of any persons or companies are mentioned in this post, to protect the guilty. Caution: Do not read TV forums in conjunction with any other forums, without first consulting your physician. Side effects of TV forums may include nausea, hyperventilation, and increased urinary output.)

Edited by avidorn

On 8/18/2017 at 11:21 PM, avidorn said:

Similar opinion and experience to @Nick ZepTepi above in the past, both good and bad. Fees and a lack of care once the lease was signed: "Talk to the owner."

I also don't care for the way the company constantly spams Google Maps with self-promotional faux-reviews of condos. This violates Google's Terms and Conditions, by the way. These reviews can and should all be flagged--there's an option to do this next to each review.

Nor do I care for the way "someone" at the company passively-aggressively responds to *every single* review on Google, attacking or otherwise throwing shade toward anyone who dares to criticize his operation, even when the reviewer presents simple facts, while posting articles about how a "good tenant" should behave. Ha--I have an article or two I can write in response for him. (I think I've seen a farang owner--realtors 'round the world are all the same sort of people, never letting the truth get in the way of their greed.)

By the way, I think there's a lot of room in the market here for someone to come in with honest and top-notch service, that will grow by word of mouth. While writing this I remembered another company I dealt with regarding condo rentals, that kept referring to "speaking to the owner" with regard to my questions about rent, etc. Asking around confirmed what I already suspected--they own these condos, so were basically lying to me (for their perceived advantage in negotiations, or whatever it is these people think they will gain--really I think lying becomes second nature to them).

I also noticed the background of this other company, and it appears to be a farang who let a local company hire and train him, then went out on his own with his girlfriend to compete against his kind former employers. Nice, eh? (Disclaimer: No names of any persons or companies are mentioned in this post, to protect the guilty. Caution: Do not read TV forums in conjunction with any other forums, without first consulting your physician. Side effects of TV forums may include nausea, hyperventilation, and increased urinary output.)

Yes I understand but, to be fair, agents here do not operate on a 'managing basis' for a % commission each moth as they do in the US, UK etc. When I first arrived here I , too, was shocked that agents don't have an on-going responsibility for tenants and issues. But they don't here it's a different system.

The one month fee paid by an owner is a 'finders fee' and the agents responsibility stops after they have found a tenant. Occasionally they might 'help' to keep Goodwill etc. but they don't get a monthly 'cut'.

Personally I hate the system and would rather pay 10% a month and they take responsibility and 'manage' the property but I'm not surprised Perfect Homes said "Talk to the owner".  In the UK I paid a 'finders fee' (about 7,500 THB) + I paid the agent 10% a month + tax and they took care of everything. You are probably expecting agents here to act as they do in your home country but they don't.

I know all this because I rent out condos and I have to collect rents, supervise maintenance, liaise with tenants etc. Perfect Homes are not 'perfect' but they are up there and compared to most agents they are streets ahead. I have not seen the reviews so can't comment on that.

14 hours ago, tomster said:

Avidorn,

Once the contract is signed, if there is an issue with the property and it is not under management of the real estate agent, then "talk to the owner" is the correct response.

The owner of Perfect Homes is a friend of mine and many, many people on this forum use his services, he's a decent guy and has worked bloody hard for what he has achieved. Fair enough you have your right to your opinion but jumping on TV and suggesting people flag his google reviews and that you're not happy that he doesn't change your lightbulbs is BS.

I'd already pointed this out in my post above yours  :smile:  

I think everyone would benefit from the system changing to  a 'managed' one (as in the vast majority of countries). I can understand customers frustration of agents 'washing their hands' after the contract is signed. But I also realize that's the system here, and so I expect it, but if someone doesn't know they might misinterpret this aspect as unprofessional. The problem in Thailand is there is no certification or licensing and anyone can, and does, become an agent making the whole market appear chaotic. Perfect Homes is about the best there is since the demise of Chiang Mai Properties and I do have some issues with their approach occasionally but overall I recommend them - and did on the second post of this thread.

1 hour ago, Wandr said:

...since the demise of Chiang Mai Properties...

I was searching for Chiang Mai Properties and found a pretty comprehensive website with many listings.

Is that not the agency you say is dead?

CMP used to be the main player in Chiang Mai and was recently sold I heard. Now days they are far less active from their dominant position years ago and so, being an active player in the market for years, I'd say that was a 'demise' (relatively speaking).  

3 hours ago, Wandr said:

...since the demise of Chiang Mai Properties...

I was searching for Chiang Mai Properties and found a pretty comprehensive website with many listings.

Is that not the agency you say is dead?

They are still very active .Have a big office and many staff near the Oriental Hotel .

Having been in CM for nearly 2 decades, little should surprise me.  But recently (and for the first time), I contacted a number of agencies in search of the perfect rental home. 

Although I didn’t expect the experience to be remotely like anything “back home,” what was most shocking were the working hours.  “Can you show me the house tomorrow at 6PM?”  “No – our office closes at 5:30.”  Huh? Another nominee:  “I can show you the house on Monday.”  Monday comes but we can’t go – reason:  “I couldn’t contact the owner because our office is closed on the weekends.”  Huh??

Having given my budget and preferred area, yet another agency began sending me properties at double the price and nowhere near where I wanted to be.  When I questioned this, I was told “You need to open your mind…”  Huh???

One of the most fascinating yet frustrating experiences to date – and that’s saying something!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, despite the glowing tributes to Perfect Homes on here, they turned out to be not so perfect.

I called them last week and gave my specifications to the woman who answered. When will I hear from you, I asked. Whenever an agent has time, she answered, in a not too interested tone.

I am still to hear from them.

Meanwhile, a rival company - a large outfit - responded immediately with listings. Some of those listings were already occupied, but that is another story. We settled on a few I wanted to view, they sent us with their agent to check them out, and I signed a contract and am ready to move in.

Maybe Perfect Homes has too much business already. In that case they should tell customers politely what to expect, instead of almost brushing them off.

Obviously I will never contact them again, not will any friend of mine get a recommendation to them.

Thanks to everyone here who responded to  my original question.

1 hour ago, Wandr said:

Well, despite the glowing tributes to Perfect Homes on here, they turned out to be not so perfect.

I called them last week and gave my specifications to the woman who answered. When will I hear from you, I asked. Whenever an agent has time, she answered, in a not too interested tone.

I am still to hear from them.

Meanwhile, a rival company - a large outfit - responded immediately with listings. Some of those listings were already occupied, but that is another story. We settled on a few I wanted to view, they sent us with their agent to check them out, and I signed a contract and am ready to move in.

Maybe Perfect Homes has too much business already. In that case they should tell customers politely what to expect, instead of almost brushing them off.

Obviously I will never contact them again, not will any friend of mine get a recommendation to them.

Thanks to everyone here who responded to  my original question.

yes your experiences, are just about par for the course,    now a days here in C/mai,  99% of real estate agents ,treat potential clients whether buying/selling or rental like second class citzens,  Its their way or the highway,  most Thai,s avoid them like the plaque,hence the  abundance Private For Sale/.Rental Signs in every suburb,of C/mai, in summing up they are a poor bunch to do business with, the very best of luck

2 hours ago, evenstevens said:

yes your experiences, are just about par for the course,    now a days here in C/mai,  99% of real estate agents ,treat potential clients whether buying/selling or rental like second class citzens,  Its their way or the highway,  most Thai,s avoid them like the plaque,hence the  abundance Private For Sale/.Rental Signs in every suburb,of C/mai, in summing up they are a poor bunch to do business with, the very best of luck

I agree!  1512039.gif

• 3 weeks later...

My landlord has several properties to rent in her office and is a really nice landlord to deal with, actually I am paying a lot less than I was in Bangkok for double the space and a much nicer place, thanks to her for notifying me when it came up, pm me if anyone wants her line id, cheers

On 9/21/2017 at 11:01 AM, evenstevens said:

This is just not true. This do not 'avoid them' in fact Thais use locals acting as 'agents' all the time and the reason the signs are up (like at my house) is that if I am VERY lucky and sell that way I save 3%.  The agents I know are doing brisk business and I know of at least one new one started very recently. Just beware that it's not like 'home' and you will not get a 'managed' service for your one month agents fee. This is not the agents fault and it's the same nationwide unfortunately. I own condos in CM, BKK and Pattaya so think I may know a thing or two. Good luck.

1 hour ago, LannaGuy said:

The agents I know are doing brisk business .

you could have fooled me, since Martial Law over 3 years ago   plus other factors   the overall real estate market  in C/mai (  outside the city limits )  ,has fallen off a cliff,   if the chins were not around   it would far worse,   the real estate agents   i know    are  literally  eating paint off the wall  ,its a buyers/,renters   market  in Maerim District  with very few  buyers  or renters ,  so go and  figure that out,   one only has to look  at their websites  ,absoulately saturated with listings,  and at ridicolous prices   to go hand in hand , with  a  very dire market in all respects  , BTW they are still building all types of dwellings in a market which is a Busted Flush ,go and figure that out too,   a laymans  guess,   is that they have to park their money somewhere

a nice early evening to all