Thailand’s weird crackdown on boozy photos makes global headlines

snoop1130

"even posting a photo to your own account showing alcohol brands could be construed as advertising or endorsing."

Crazy, just crazy.  What if you are having party in, say, Penang and have a photo taken holding a Singha in your hand next to your drunken face?

Can they arrest you when you come back to Thailand if you've posted it on your social media while in Malaysia?

These idiots seem to have no idea that the world doesn't end at their borders.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched a movie on the television in Chum Pae the other day on one of the cable channels. In one scene the drinks on the table were blurred, and also the bottles on the bar behind. Then one girl lit up a cigarette so her hand was blurred, when she took a drag her face was blurred. Not much was in focus at all, and for once it wasn't the whiskey doing it to me!

49 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

You won't, to be accurate, Boon Rawd (Singha) makes soda water as does ThaiBev (Chang). Leo is Singha's other beer.

And now U which has the same europiss flavour but has cured the heartburn problems I was getting with LEO.

34 minutes ago, saminoz said:

Can they arrest you when you come back to Thailand if you've posted it on your social media while in Malaysia?

Probably not only for promoting alcohol but violating the computer act by making an illegal posting.

1 hour ago, stephenterry said:

One of my off-street bar/restaurant in CM yesterday, told us to sit in the back lounge between 2-5pm as the police are cracking down (on management) if customers sit at the front tables next to the Soi and have beer bottles on the table - as an advert. What a way to treat tourists  - it's an inability to accept that  tourist income is an essential part of the economy.

This is ABSOLUTELY INSANE!,,, So a customer is, "advertising" by simply having a beer on an outdoor patio?,,, what about the beer bar type setups ALL up and down Nana soi 4, where you sit IN the bar, but along a bar rail, viewing the street?,,,, Lolololol,,,, UNbelievable ,,, truly,,, lololololol,, sounds like the bar management are only trying to save their customers from a, "fine",,, (to their credit)

Edited by Adeeos

17 hours ago, hellstens said:

What happens if you remove the label on the beer bottle?

hmmmm.... that's weird because... isn't that half or more of what you buy?

the stuff inside the bottle....  must cost about the same as those labels.... 

as those are some very pretty labels

but come on! what's inside the bottle? some hops sludge, as far as I can tell drinking it, a weird yellow coloring and some alcohol and water.  

Edited by maewang99

3 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

I recently found out that "Leo" makes soda water from their TV advertising. Cannot say I have ever seen it in a shop.

My Mrs was watching a game show recently, I just happened to look up and noticed the Leo advert in the background so I asked her they got away with advertising beer on the TV, she told me it was Soda water, like you I have never seen it in any shops here in Patts.

17 hours ago, darksidedog said:

The Prime Minister should be happy. If the story also mentions you can be thrown in jail for an e cigarette, this will put Thailand in the number one spot globally for  country with the most insane and stupid laws.

PM Prayut Chan-o-cha thought it up. After all he is the Minister Against the Evils of Alcohol. His portfolio also includes Minister for Women's Attire and Behaviour hence the new dress code for twerking dancers and the laws against lascivious bikini parties.

A powerful man with a keen eye watching over the morals of the country.

Showing a woman in a bikini might also be a problem.

"There are always problems with tourist safety. They think our country is beautiful and is safe so they can do whatever they want, they can wear bikinis and walk everywhere,"

But "can they be safe in bikinis... unless they are not beautiful?"

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-O-Cha, September 2014

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Prayuth-questions-if-tourists-in-bikinis-safe-afte-30243486.html

Just now, Mac98 said:

Stamp out smoking, stamp out drinking, stamp out gambling ... Hmm, guess there's only one thing left to do.

The Minister for Tourism, Mrs Kobkarn Wattanavra is already working on the suppression of that. It's in the 20 year plan along with the elimination of corruption.

Expect the next TAT promo to be "Come and visit Thailand - the land of Purity, Virtue and Morality". That should cut tourist numbers by about half. 

19 hours ago, darksidedog said:

The Prime Minister should be happy. If the story also mentions you can be thrown in jail for an e cigarette, this will put Thailand in the number one spot globally for  country with the most insane and stupid laws.

Although I do agree with you that here we now have stupid and imaginative laws these days, I have to say that Singapore too has a lot of nonsensical laws too and would come as a close second.

8 hours ago, hansnl said:

Blame the coup for everything wrong in the country, but most of all wrongs existing for decades.

People have very short memories and tend to forget why the army decided to step in.

You seem not to recognise the difference between 'forget ' and ' not healthy to discuss ' . Many people have extremely long memories and consequently tend to be rather less naive than others !

9 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

I recently found out that "Leo" makes soda water from their TV advertising. Cannot say I have ever seen it in a shop.

My apologies to GreasyFingers.:thumbsup:

I just found out there is Leo Soda water as well as Singha. A bit slow this week.

On 8/18/2017 at 7:17 PM, Joebuzz said:

Booze & cheap women.....what else have they got?  Following three years there I finally realized there was nothing there that I couldn't live without.  On to better places.

But still stay on the Thai visa forum and post about everything?

lmao

What a bunch of babies.

Anyone that has his posts open to public should get a smack around the head.

I have a picture of me drinking singha each time I visit and no one in Thailand will see it since those pictures are only visible to close friends.

14 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

My Mrs was watching a game show recently, I just happened to look up and noticed the Leo advert in the background so I asked her they got away with advertising beer on the TV, she told me it was Soda water, like you I have never seen it in any shops here in Patts.

That's how they advertise their beer now. All the big name sodas are named the same as the big name beers, so when they advertise the soda, they are also advertising the beer, as everyone is familiar with the brand name. Why else would there be both Singha and Leo brand sodas? It's only fizzy water, probably from the same source.

It's quite a clever ploy, actually. Sidesteps the beer advertising ban quite neatly.