Film Protection for Paintwork

pj123

Xpel is a product from the US which I understand some companies install in Thailand. They have a useful website which will give you the price for a DIY kit for various parts of your car. Here is the list for a BMW X1:

http://www.xpel.com/paint-protection-kits/XPEL_North_America/Passenger_Cars_and_Light_Trucks/2016/BMW/X1/Base

The prices are ridiculous unless you are protecting a Ferrari. $470 just for the bumper and remember, this is a DIY install!

$880 for Full Hood, Fender and Mirror Kit. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like the answer for you is ... get some '9H' put on ... prices have crashed so investigate ... wash it yourself. You can make it even easier for yourself using a foam attachment with a powerwash.  Get proper foam, not a 'cheepo' one ...

Then wax it every few weeks ..... 

Edited by JAS21

12 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Looks like the answer for you is ... get some '9H' put on ... prices have crashed so investigate ... wash it yourself. You can make it even easier for yourself using a foam attachment with a powerwash.  Get proper foam, not a 'cheepo' one ...

Then wax it every few weeks ..... 

As for waxing a ceramic coat, I recommend using GYEON cure...extend the 9H for a couple of years ;-)

Waxing a ceramic coat is plaint stupid. 

Ceramic coat is also close to plain stupid also, because you won't know when it is not anymore on your car.

Whatever people who pretend to know anything will tell you, only waxing every 3 months can really protect your car for long term.

Paying outrageous price for a protection film is also not very smart. If anything is broken your insurance will pay, so why paying more to protect. My car insurance costs 70000 thb.year for a 8 millions Thb car and I don't feel the need to spend anything more....

Low quality film will peel your paint if you decide to get it removed after an accident. Not only that, if people removing it are not patient, there is high likelihood of it peeling the paint / clear coat as well. I've spoke to a lot of sales folks at dealers, they don't recommend film at all, they have brought trade in cars and had many bad experiences with film on cars when they try to fix up and resale.

I would probably recommend just put the clear film on front bumper, thats where most stone chips are and its a small piece to get repainted. 

Waxing a ceramic coat is plaint stupid. 
Ceramic coat is also close to plain stupid also, because you won't know when it is not anymore on your car.

Whatever people who pretend to know anything will tell you, only waxing every 3 months can really protect your car for long term.

Paying outrageous price for a protection film is also not very smart. If anything is broken your insurance will pay, so why paying more to protect. My car insurance costs 70000 thb.year for a 8 millions Thb car and I don't feel the need to spend anything more....

Not as stupid as paying 8m baht for a car worth less than half that.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

8 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Not as stupid as paying 8m baht for a car worth less than half that.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

Ridiculous. A car is worth the price is sold and what people are ready to pay for it.

I will never drive anything but at least German car, because I deserve them, anywhere in the world.

Still thinking about a Bentley, but I agree that they are really over in this country. And actually Benz are so cheap !

7 hours ago, bbpbbp said:

Ridiculous. A car is worth the price is sold and what people are ready to pay for it.

I will never drive anything but at least German car, because I deserve them, anywhere in the world.

Still thinking about a Bentley, but I agree that they are really over in this country. And actually Benz are so cheap !

poor attempt at trolling..... but keep up the work 

Depreciation is a factor no matter where you buy a car.. You can either afford it and accept it or buy a cheaper car.

Just because someone is willing to pay 6 million baht for a car here that you could buy overseas for 3 million doesn't make them stupid. In five years time the the first car may be worth 3 mil and the latter 1.5. The % loss is the same just the amount that differs.  In my case I just like nice cars and have no other costs or hobbies. Dumb cos I can afford an expensive car ? Dumber still if you can't I reckon.

Depreciation is a factor no matter where you buy a car.. You can either afford it and accept it or buy a cheaper car.
Just because someone is willing to pay 6 million baht for a car here that you could buy overseas for 3 million doesn't make them stupid. In five years time the the first car may be worth 3 mil and the latter 1.5. The % loss is the same just the amount that differs.  In my case I just like nice cars and have no other costs or hobbies. Dumb cos I can afford an expensive car ? Dumber still if you can't I reckon.
Not quite the same as 950k to 725k after 3 years though.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

People afford what they want. If a guy wants a car and has the dough, so be it.

It's no different than buying a watch. Some guys want a high end watch and some guys are happy with a Seiko, regardless of what they can afford.

I view the film like seat covers, save the nice paint and upholstery for the next owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Not quite the same as 950k to 725k after 3 years though.

True, but it's all relative and depends on the situation. The higher price of a car here is offset by having no income tax. If I give 100k to the UK tax man over a couple of years I get nothing back. If I spend it on a car here and sell after two years I'm ahead. Even if I only got 50K back. That's the way I see it.

Might not be a fiscally responsible as investing the money but it's more fun and you only live once.

Yeh .buy a 1.5 mill Rolex and some Ferang tells you his Timex tells the time. Some dick with a Fortuna said my  Sons Boss was a fool buying a Porche Truck thing,.Strange that !!, he didnt pay 1.5 mill for an old upgraded Roofed Toyo Tiger.:post-4641-1156693976:

True, but it's all relative and depends on the situation. The higher price of a car here is offset by having no income tax. If I give 100k to the UK tax man over a couple of years I get nothing back. If I spend it on a car here and sell after two years I'm ahead. Even if I only got 50K back. That's the way I see it.
Might not be a fiscally responsible as investing the money but it's more fun and you only live once.
My car is cheaper here than in the UK and I pay income tax here (although not as much as I would in the UK).

1 hour ago, JaseTheBass said:

My car is cheaper here than in the UK and I pay income tax here (although not as much as I would in the UK).

So sad for you to have to pay tax instead of being able to spend this money in nice cars !

Each his poor life...

On 29/08/2017 at 3:30 PM, mike324 said:

Low quality film will peel your paint if you decide to get it removed after an accident. Not only that, if people removing it are not patient, there is high likelihood of it peeling the paint / clear coat as well. I've spoke to a lot of sales folks at dealers, they don't recommend film at all, they have brought trade in cars and had many bad experiences with film on cars when they try to fix up and resale.

I would probably recommend just put the clear film on front bumper, thats where most stone chips are and its a small piece to get repainted. 

Thank you for the useful post. As the OP,  I could do without the posts wittering on about depreciation and the value of high end cars blah blah blah. Could they take their opinions some where else....? Oh, now they are talking about taxation in the USA? I give up!

Edited by pj123

Thank you for the useful post. As the OP,  I could do without the posts wittering on about depreciation and the value of high end cars blah blah blah. Could they take their opinions some where else....? Oh, now they are talking about taxation in the USA? I give up!

No one has talked about anything for almost a week now you drag it back up?