Why Falangs Pay Ten Times More Than Thai

gjones

Overpricing is not just stand alone in Thailand. Our own countries have been doing this for years. You only have to look at hotel pricing of mini-bars or airport pricing. praying on tourists or I would go as far as saying Lazy people who could not be bothered leaving their rooms to walk to the nearest 7/11 to pay a 3rd of the price.

It is not racism, it is merely an opportunity to make cash because people are willing to pay it. As for the national park taxes. If you can show work permits than you dont have to pay farang prices (you will pay Thai prices)

remember you have a choice. If you go to touristy areas than expect to pay tourist prices.

:o

The problem is that the white tourists tend to pay alot more at some places. As for your mini-bar analogy, the mini-bar doesn't discriminate against race/nationality.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overpricing is not just stand alone in Thailand. Our own countries have been doing this for years. You only have to look at hotel pricing of mini-bars or airport pricing. praying on tourists or I would go as far as saying Lazy people who could not be bothered leaving their rooms to walk to the nearest 7/11 to pay a 3rd of the price.

It is not racism, it is merely an opportunity to make cash because people are willing to pay it. As for the national park taxes. If you can show work permits than you dont have to pay farang prices (you will pay Thai prices)

remember you have a choice. If you go to touristy areas than expect to pay tourist prices.

i see i've been beaten to it ................

<deleted> has a minibar got to do with it ??????????

The problem is that the white tourists tend to pay alot more at some places. As for your mini-bar analogy, the mini-bar doesn't discriminate against race/nationality.

That was my point though. High prices are not based on racism. They are based on opportunity and what the consumer is willing to pay no matter where they are.

ITR :D

i see i've been beaten to it ................

<deleted> has a minibar got to do with it ??????????

Some would say the same about racism..

My point is that Thais even try to over charge Thais. Its doesnt matter about race. Just like hotel prices on mini bars. They dont care where you come from they just charge everyone high prices because they know they will get it.

:D

That was my point though. High prices are not based on racism. They are based on opportunity and what the consumer is willing to pay no matter where they are.

ITR :D

Yeah, the minibar doesn't discriminate and it also clearly states its prices. A more proper analogy would be salesman and business folks *worldwide* who are able to adjust their prices accordingly up/down arbitrarily.... let's say car sales people, real estate agents, anyone doing large wholesale orders/contracts, etc., all the while keeping the results of each individual sale out of public scrutiny for political correctness. Not all folks do so, but IMO more do so than we'd like to admit. And YES, race and appearance is often a factor when we determine who can afford what.

Solution, take the signs down at the national parks. Charge fees arbitrarily without regard to race per se, but instead perception of each individual's ability to pay. If anything this thread has taught us this about human nature: people are willing to be screwed... they just don't like to be screwed in writing.

High prices are not based on racism. They are based on opportunity and what the consumer is willing to pay no matter where they are.

Reminds me of the Thai lady who finished photocopying our Thai wedding license (for visa purposes) and then, in answer to my husband's question of how much, "Is it for you or for her?".

Guess she thought I might be willing to pay more :o

High prices are not based on racism. They are based on opportunity and what the consumer is willing to pay no matter where they are.

Reminds me of the Thai lady who finished photocopying our Thai wedding license (for visa purposes) and then, in answer to my husband's question of how much, "Is it for you or for her?".

After all this time you still accompany him when buying stuff? :D

After all this time you still accompany him when buying stuff?

I don't anymore. if it is a local store i.e. not supermarket/department store with clear fixed prices, I go first, have a look around, decide what I want then send him in. After all, just cause I am farang it is his (thai) money that pays for things in LOS. But maybe the "your a farang, you should pay more as you have more money" brigade don't take into account we spouses who are supported by their thai partner??? :o

I can assure you she does not, as I have been enjoying a drink with her recently, when hubby was out shopping. :D

After all this time you still accompany him when buying stuff?

I don't anymore. if it is a local store i.e. not supermarket/department store with clear fixed prices, I go first, have a look around, decide what I want then send him in. After all, just cause I am farang it is his (thai) money that pays for things in LOS. But maybe the "your a farang, you should pay more as you have more money" brigade don't take into account we spouses who are supported by their thai partner??? :D

But maybe the "your a farang, you should pay more as you have more money" brigade don't take into account we spouses who are supported by their thai partner??? :D

good post :o

I can assure you she does not, as I have been enjoying a drink with her recently, when hubby was out shopping. :D

Isn't that the truth, me stuck at home!

No Boon Mee, unless we are busy my husband and I go everywhere together. He regularly gets asked where I am when he goes out alone. And I always get asked where he is if I go out alone. True love, ain't it sweet :D

Anyway, the point of the story is we were standing there together while she photocopied our marriage license in Thai and then tried to charge me more. Hubby was most offended and told her it didn't matter who it was for since I am his wife. Somehow, I doubt she got the message.

No Boon Mee, unless we are busy my husband and I go everywhere together. He regularly gets asked where I am when he goes out alone. And I always get asked where he is if I go out alone. True love, ain't it sweet :D

Anyway, the point of the story is we were standing there together while she photocopied our marriage license in Thai and then tried to charge me more. Hubby was most offended and told her it didn't matter who it was for since I am his wife. Somehow, I doubt she got the message.

Kao jai...I'm just glad some things have changed for the good in LOS over the years. I used to hate it before I had a vehicle when my wife would hail the taxis. This was like before metered taxis and once she snagged one, I'd pop out from behind the telephone pole or whatever. Those drivers were sure 'mai sabajai'! :o

Can work for farangs too. Although my wife is a farang, she speaks fluent Thai. I've lost count of the number of times I've started to bargain for something, and then she's come along and spoken in Thai to the person, and suddenly the price has dropped dramatically.

Big font, but not a real explanation.

Where can I find such rules that a foreigner should pay more?

very good life style? Probably not better than in many other places where I lived before.

the women? Ahem, I brought my own.

the islands? What's so special about those islands?

the night life? Disregard the girlie-bars and give me a great place for night life.

the prices? Some lower, some higher than in other countries.

etc.???

and many many bennefits. Like what?

owning a fancy car? Cars are pretty expensive in Thailand, so one might take a cheaper one than at home.

Fancy holidays. To where?

If one works for a Thai company or the government, fine with me to pay ten times more as long as they as well offer a relevant income as well.

Otherwise, I let my Thai staff or friends settle the bill(s) and pay them back. Makes it much cheaper.

I like big fonts, is called GRAPHIC CREATIVITY he he, I get bored with the standard writing style to posting in the forums.

-So why do you live here? I'm sure you are having a nice time in Thailand

-You are not the majority, most of the foreign men get a thai girlfriend, wife, boyfriend, lover whatever, sooner or later.

-What is so special about the islands? mmmm are you blind??? or maybe you don't know the right islands :o

-Maybe you should stop going to Patpong and Nana, there are many many nice nightclubs, and bars with amazing live music!! and very nice people, the bed super club won some international awards.

- The prices maybe are higher than in India yes..., but in comparisson with western countries, genereraly the living cost is very low. Some things are very expensive, some things are not.

- If you don't have any benefits living here, again why do you live here?

- so if you have the money to have a fancy car, you can not pay a $10 dollar entry fee??? :D

Anyway I love Thailand!! :D

Edited by Jenny18

- If you don't have any benefits living here, again why do you live here?

How do you equate people discussing the shortcomings of one of the Thai government's more absurd policies to having no benefits of living here, and needing to leave the country? It's only one aspect of the country and its governmental policies we're discussing here, not the whole of Thailand!

Personally, I love Thailand to bits and wouldn't want to live anywhere else right now. I could talk to you for hours about the things I like about Thailand; I could probably only talk for about 5 minutes about the things I don't like about life in Thailand, and about 1 of those minutes would be about the discriminatory National Park entrance fees.

It is crap.Therefore when wealthy Thais visit my country, we should charge them 20x what the normal rate is because they are rich buggers??How to screw up tourism in one easy lesson. :D

There are plenty of farangs here that are not making millions and support families.

And, to some people it does matter "whether they have to pay 1 or 10 dollars for a park fee entrance. Does it really make a difference in the quality of life you can live here".Not everybody is wealthy pal.

I agree 100 %, shame on the thaiophiles on this board, they should pay 20 time more than the tourists if they support this beahaviour. :o

It is crap.Therefore when wealthy Thais visit my country, we should charge them 20x what the normal rate is because they are rich buggers??How to screw up tourism in one easy lesson. :D

There are plenty of farangs here that are not making millions and support families.

And, to some people it does matter "whether they have to pay 1 or 10 dollars for a park fee entrance. Does it really make a difference in the quality of life you can live here".Not everybody is wealthy pal.

I agree 100 %, shame on the thaiophiles on this board, they should pay 20 time more than the tourists if they support this beahaviour. :o

nice to have one's faith restorted every now and then ....................... :D