Should we change to AIS?

Inquisitorial

Hi

We have been told that our agent who lets our apartment out for us when we are not in town that the current internet we are using with TOT is very outdated and that we should change to AIS which will give us internet plus, one mobile connection and  cable tv for same price as TOT intent /landline as we are not tech savi just reaching out to the Thai Visa guys for some advice/guidance, our questions are:

1. Any feed back from those of you already using AIS - are you happy.with AIS,?
  2. How do we cancel TOT we have been paying by the month for about 5 years now so assume we could just email or call them to cancel - not sure if there is issues here with cancelling the contract?
  3. Does anyone know if you can suspend the service when you are out of the country and/or pay reduced rate?

Appreciate your guidance.

Thanks

I'm mostly happy with AIS. I've had it for just over a year now after changing from True.

I've had 3 down times, once for two days when they had to replace a cable in the street outside my house that was for a couple of days and a twice for a few hours first thing in the morning.

The tv will be basic Thai channels mostly unless you pay to get HBO etc. @ 899/month.

I think the package being talked about is the Power 4 package. This will include the premium Tv for a year on some options but only 3 months on another.

It seems like a reasonable deal.

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

Is it possible to have an AIS account, which operates on wi-fi?

I used ThaiExpatTV  for about 3 years, but they have recently been closed down.  Wi-fi worked fine on both the TV via a modem and directly on my Computer.

What sort of costs are there?

I have never used AIS but am contemplating it. As for Ais or any other network having bad connection problems, as an engineer I can say that it depends on the area. In Bangkok for instance you will likely get a good connection and reliable service where as in the country the lines may not be good or undersized. You may experience peak time traffic after 5pm in the cities and less so in the country. Some providers may use fibre optic cables in the country if they are a good company and some may use old copper phone lines. Ask the provider which they use and whether it is the whole or part of the line they use fibre optic cables on.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Sumarianson
Text correction

13 minutes ago, Sumarianson said:

Some providers may use fibre optic cables in the country if they are a good company and some may use old copper phone lines.

I wonder if the reason AIS usually gets good marks for its fibre service is that the entire infrastructure is new.  They only joined the market in the past couple years so there are no, or at least far fewer, weak links in the distribution chain with no (few?) copper lines involved.  I just they would break ranks with 3BB and True and be willing to install service in condos.

12 hours ago, wpcoe said:

I wonder if the reason AIS usually gets good marks for its fibre service is that the entire infrastructure is new.  They only joined the market in the past couple years so there are no, or at least far fewer, weak links in the distribution chain with no (few?) copper lines involved.  I just they would break ranks with 3BB and True and be willing to install service in condos.

Ais are in my condo I use both True and AIS for mobile accounts and in terms of customer service I find AIS call centre excellent and True an absolute mess. AIS have people who speak English fluently while True have something resembling gibberish 

17 hours ago, wpcoe said:

There are no copper in any internet backbone, all fiber. What you get in last mile differs or course. They used to install adsl/vdsl but now they install fiber, which can supply internet at longer distances and not affected by rain/lightning.

Thank you to all of you who replied, we have gone ahead and signed up with AIS and they came and installed and set up the box.

Service so far has been very good,

Only problem we have now is that we cant work out how to remove the subtitles from the movies.

Any guidance from those who are currently using AIS would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

On 8/24/2017 at 6:10 PM, Inquisitorial said:

Thank you to all of you who replied, we have gone ahead and signed up with AIS and they came and installed and set up the box.

Service so far has been very good,

Only problem we have now is that we cant work out how to remove the subtitles from the movies.

Any guidance from those who are currently using AIS would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Many times subtitles are hard-coded in to video--no can turn off.   

However, those videos that come with subtitles that can be turned off or on are control by a setting in the Playbox.

Take a look at this post that will show you how to get the the setting within Playbox that can turn off or on subtitles...and set the subtitles to English or Thai.

Edited by Pib