Spotify starts today

shanesox

Impressed with it so far.  Was previously using Deezer which is OK and AFAIK has a bigger catalogue but with what I listen to it's hardly likely to bother me seeing as both will have pretty much anything considered to be mainstream.

Things I prefer about Spotify:

• Their apps are far more sophisticated than Deezer.  Using on multiple devices like an Nvidia Shield, laptop and phone you can jump around selecting music to play on one device with another (great if tapping away on the phone with music playing from the Shield and can't be bothered to pick up the remote.  Just press next track on the phone and it controls the device currently being played to).
  • Music discovery feature on the Spotify UI for me is MUCH better.
  • Greater range of options within track selections
  • Ability to import iTunes Playlists

Just about to have a look around to see if there's a way to get my Deezer playlists into Spotify then I'll likely bin Deezer.

For me the problem with all these music streaming services is that they have far too much new stuff and nowhere near enough old stuff. Personally I'm not very interested in any music that dates from after 1990, and not at all interested in anything from this century. But I would like to listen to old things from the 60s and 70s, many of which have never been released on CD.

For me the problem with all these music streaming services is that they have far too much new stuff and nowhere near enough old stuff. Personally I'm not very interested in any music that dates from after 1990, and not at all interested in anything from this century. But I would like to listen to old things from the 60s and 70s, many of which have never been released on CD.

Loads of music from 60s onwards on Spotify

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 hours ago, shanesox said:

Loads of music from 60s onwards on Spotify

There is some, but there are many older artists/recordings that aren't available on it. Probably due to the recordings never having been digitised, admittedly.

That said, I do like the way that Spotify integrates with my Sonos speakers and my Yamaha amp, both via Spotify Connect. I'm on the free 7-day trial of the premium service and at 129B/month I will probably continue it. I did try Deezer at a similar price but I found their interface just too clunky and buggy.

I was a member of Spotify Premium for GBP£9.99 per month (430 baht)...

I only ever used it when in my car, it connects up to the connected drive and an I can control it through the car console. However, I ended up cancelling it as I figured I wasn't using it enough. 

Now, in Thailand its 129 baht per month (GBP£3.00) so I've changed the location on the APP and signed up for Premium again (no adverts, can jump tracks etc).

At less than 1/3rd of the price, its far better value here than in the UK (same with Netflix although Netflix in the UK has more up to date content). I'm assuming that the Spotify library here in Thailand will not be as up to date and we may have to wait a little longer for new releases, which is of no major concern really.

Edited by richard_smith237

I have ben trying to sign up for the family package but have a problem. It won't accept my Thai debit card, nor my Gf's credit card, I can't use a UK based card nor a UK-based Paypal account.

I suppose they hadn't taken into account that many Thai banking facilities are still in 1993. Of course this won't be a problem in three years when Thailand becomes a cashless society!

15 minutes ago, madmitch said:

I have ben trying to sign up for the family package but have a problem. It won't accept my Thai debit card, nor my Gf's credit card, I can't use a UK based card nor a UK-based Paypal account.

I suppose they hadn't taken into account that many Thai banking facilities are still in 1993. Of course this won't be a problem in three years when Thailand becomes a cashless society!

If your girlfriend is Thai, seems very strange that it won't accept a Thai credit card?  Have you tried their 'Contact Us' page to query why?

I pay for mine using a K-Web virtual (internet shopping) card that I signed up for with Kasikorn.  I'm assuming other Thai banks have a similar 'virtual' credit card facility.

I

3 minutes ago, SooKee said:

If your girlfriend is Thai, seems very strange that it won't accept a Thai credit card?  Have you tried their 'Contact Us' page to query why?

I pay for mine using a K-Web virtual (internet shopping) card that I signed up for with Kasikorn.  I'm assuming other Thai banks have a similar 'virtual' credit card facility.

It does seem odd, as I have used both my Bangkok Bank card and her SCB credit card for several online transactions. 

On 8/28/2017 at 7:36 PM, KittenKong said:

i suspect you havent even looked through the catalogue,  i have music in my spotify library spanning over 50 years from jazz to indie and all in between.

34 minutes ago, madmitch said:

I

It does seem odd, as I have used both my Bangkok Bank card and her SCB credit card for several online transactions. 

it seems very odd especially given i signed up using my bkk bank visa card in the philipines.