Chinese tourists jumping queue

EricTh

Yesterday, I was at the Chiang Mai airport and I was patiently waiting for my turn at immigration counters with a very long queue to get into Thailand again. 

By the time (almost 30 minutes) I reached the front of the long queue, I noticed several Chinese tourists going straight to the leftmost counters meant for disabled people and Thai passports without any queuing at all.

When I complained to the Thai officer in charge of the queue, she told me the tourists just paid Visa-on-arrival from another counter. 

Could somebody tell me what has this got to do with getting into express queue? After they've paid their visa in another counter , shouldn't they queue up on the single queue just like the rest of us?

Edited by EricTh

Or, the complaint is why he did not know that when the queue for Thai passports is empty, anybody can go there to get processed, just go and politely ask and they process you.  Nothing to do with Chinese or not Chinese.

This is standard proceedure in many if not most airports, if the line is empty go to that officer and they will serve you.

Edited by Rimmer
flame removed

Just now, impulse said:

So the complaint is that some people were told to go to a queue that you weren't in, so it didn't affect you at all?

There is only one long queue for all non-Thai citizens and not several queues.

Just now, Bill97 said:

They did not jump a queue, they were in a different queue. Different queue Eric.

Mind telling me why there is a different queue when they are non-Thai citizens too?

They are just ordinary tourists with visa-on-arrival.

17 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Why do you think I might have information about the reasons for the design of the facility or how it is used?

Have a look at post#3.

I don't look or reply to any posts by certain rude people whose teachers didn't teach him what is courtesy in his young days, in case you didn't notice.

Like what I said, have a further look at post #1 and post #6 and #7 just in case you still don't understand what I am saying.

Edited by EricTh

That anxiety of having just landed, then queuing up for one final trial of patience and uncertainty, watching the other lines move faster, tourists jumping the line, detached officials, arbitrary rules-- but it all melts away when you pass through the glass doors.

Had nine guests from China arrive in July, 3 families,all had prepared their documents for visa on arrival which they duly submitted and were processed and then directed to the empty Thai residents desks. From landing to collecting luggage and exiting arrivals took them exactly 25 minutes.

Far more efficient than their local airports, in their words!

I doubt if the fact that they were Chinese made any difference.

1 hour ago, Ace of Pop said:

Anyone know why the Chinese Husband n Wife type travelers never do annoy anyone...?.Are the ones that are rude just like a Hen Party going to Spain.

Just a guess here, but perhaps it's the same reason most couples of any nationality don't bother others. It takes a group effort to be offensive and completely ignore the fact that there are other people around. Once safely inside a group, it becomes OK to do anything without the risk of sticking one's neck out by being boorish. They are protected by the group's anonymity.

Just a guess here, but perhaps it's the same reason most couples of any nationality don't bother others. It takes a group effort to be offensive and completely ignore the fact that there are other people around. Once safely inside a group, it becomes OK to do anything without the risk of sticking one's neck out by being boorish. They are protected by the group's anonymity.

That about sums it up.?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

A few months ago I overheard some Chinese discussing which arrivals immigration queue to join at CNX (I can understand Mandarin). They were looking at the signs above each of the queues, some signs read "Thai Nationals", the other signs read "Foreigners" These signs are in Chinese. They knew they were obviously not Thai, but they were confused because they were not "foreigners" (in Chinese the term 'foreigner' explicitly means anyone who is not Chinese). These people obviously had never encountered anyone calling them a 'foreigner' before! They started looking around for the sign reading "Chinese" and as they were unable to find it, they decided to get into the empty Thai queue. The officer immediately noticed this and shooed them all away.

1 hour ago, clokwise said:

A few months ago I overheard some Chinese discussing which arrivals immigration queue to join at CNX (I can understand Mandarin). They were looking at the signs above each of the queues, some signs read "Thai Nationals", the other signs read "Foreigners" These signs are in Chinese. They knew they were obviously not Thai, but they were confused because they were not "foreigners" (in Chinese the term 'foreigner' explicitly means anyone who is not Chinese). These people obviously had never encountered anyone calling them a 'foreigner' before! They started looking around for the sign reading "Chinese" and as they were unable to find it, they decided to get into the empty Thai queue. The officer immediately noticed this and shooed them all away.

As you spoke Mandarin and knew their predicament you had the solution perhaps?

22 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Or, the complaint is why he did not know that when the queue for Thai passports is empty, anybody can go there to get processed, just go and politely ask and they process you.  Nothing to do with Chinese or not Chinese.

This is standard proceedure in many if not most airports, if the line is empty go to that officer and they will serve you.

I've seen people try to do it at Swampy and the queue monitors stop them and send them back.  They will let people go over to the express line if it's empty, but they are very clear that they get to choose.  Last time I arrived, I got sandwiched between a group of holiday dressed Eastern Europeans, and they let me go, but not the guys in front or behind me.  Wearing business casual with a respectful black shirt paid off.

19 hours ago, EricTh said:

I don't look or reply to any posts by certain rude people whose teachers didn't teach him what is courtesy in his young days, in case you didn't notice.

Like what I said, have a further look at post #1 and post #6 and #7 just in case you still don't understand what I am saying.

Isn't it the job of the parents to teach their children such things?

Of course teachers can help reinforce manners and many other life skills but expecting others to raise one's children is making a huge problem in today's society. 

3 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:
3 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

That about sums it up

More likely that the couple are independent travelers who have a little experience and the groups are generally made up of less experienced travelers on a fixed itinerary.  Some of them go on to become seasoned travelers, some never do.  And then there's the Chinese travelers who can't be distinguished from the Koreans, Japanese and other Asians.  But we never notice them.

More likely that the couple are independent travelers who have a little experience and the groups are generally made up of less experienced travelers on a fixed itinerary.  Some of them go on to become seasoned travelers, some never do.  And then there's the Chinese travelers who can't be distinguished from the Koreans, Japanese and other Asians.  But we never notice them.

I can notice where they come from, So can other ferangs who have been in Asia long time.Never failed to make me smile.Asians asking me Can You Speak English outside Thai Tourist Office. It lunchtime, no one in there speak English.!!!.?[emoji86]

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, Ace of Pop said:

I can notice where they come from, So can other ferangs who have been in Asia long time.Never failed to make me smile.Asians asking me Can You Speak English outside Thai Tourist Office. It lunchtime, no one in there speak English.!!!.

I'm in China typing this right now.  I lived here for 10 years before moving to Thailand.  I can't always tell...

Anyone know why the Chinese Husband n Wife type travelers never do annoy anyone...?.Are the ones that are rude just like a Hen Party going to Spain.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect
Are they the same couples who stop their scooters in the middle of the road while they muck around with their phones?

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

On 8/24/2017 at 1:48 PM, junglechef said:

Isn't it the job of the parents to teach their children such things?

Of course teachers can help reinforce manners and many other life skills but expecting others to raise one's children is making a huge problem in today's society. 

Surely you jest? These days the parents are too busy working to buy little Johnny that new mobile, high end Nikes, or the latest fashion clothing to actually raise little Johnny properly.... Family values and morals have been long lost as well as manners and respect for others.

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

Surely you jest? These days the parents are too busy working to buy little Johnny that new mobile, high end Nikes, or the latest fashion clothing to actually raise little Johnny properly.... Family values and morals have been long lost as well as manners and respect for others.

Unfortunately not.

I agree but some of it is just the way it is now. I had to buy the kid a phone this year as he uses it for school.

But many parents could  do more if they got their own noses out of their phones.

Just look at families having  dinner at a restaurant, everyone playing on a device at so many tables.

:( 

1 minute ago, junglechef said:

I had to buy the kid a phone this year as he uses it for school.

I would like to understand exactly why a phone is needed/required for school? Can you elaborate some? I could perhaps understand a computer (laptop) but a phone....  Hmmmmmm

16 minutes ago, junglechef said:

Unfortunately not.

I agree but some of it is just the way it is now. I had to buy the kid a phone this year as he uses it for school.

:( 

You call your child "the kid".  Is that the way you usually refer to them?