Songkhla: Animal charity won’t press charges against dog-eating migrant workers

webfact

Animal charity won’t press charges against dog-eating migrant workers

By The Nation

ee5a799f6697c4deec25093eafaf6869-sld.jpg

Smiling Dogs House, based in Songkhla’s Hat Yai district, is maintaining its smile and will not file a police complaint against four migrant workers from Myanmar who killed and ate a stray dog at a construction site there.

The labourers allegedly slaughtered a two-year-old female stray at their workplace behind Wat Khohong on Tuesday.

An official at the charitable foundation said no charges would be sought out of fear that dozens of other stray dogs at the workers’ camp might be affected. Smiling Dogs House has been feeding and vaccinating the dogs at the site, the official said. 

Instead, it will ask directors of the construction firm to urge their employees to leave the dogs alone. A local woman informed the charity that one of the animals had been slaughtered and eaten on Tuesday. She said she’d begged the labourers to stop but they ignored her, possibly because they didn’t understand Thai.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30324664

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-23

I wonder if those feeders also go back and pick up all the poop,pay for medical treatment when poeple are bitten or crash their motorcycle because of the roaming mutts not to mention the noise and possible rabies outbreaks.

19 hours ago, johng said:

I wonder if those feeders also go back and pick up all the poop,pay for medical treatment when poeple are bitten or crash their motorcycle because of the roaming mutts not to mention the noise and possible rabies outbreaks.

Not to mention Songkhla dogs have the worst and most prevalent cases of mange I've seen in Thailand.  Some of them need to be treated, or euthanized.  They're miserable.

7 hours ago, gr8fldanielle said:

I wonder what the reaction would be if I told some Thai people to stop eating pig, or cow, or chicken even if in perfect clearly spoken Thai? Dog, pig, cow, chicken, what's the difference. perspective? How "unBuddhist-like".

The Chinese and Vietnamese avoided starvation and survived by eating dog and cat and anything else they could get their hands on during and poste the Japanese occupation. Understandably traditions still carry on.