British woman tourist dies in Songkhla hotel fall

webfact

On 8/30/2017 at 2:13 AM, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

I live on the 7th floor (ground included) in Bangkok and have a fairly big balcony. That is a deadly drop of about 64 feet (21m), but I am not tall and the railings are 3' 9" (1.1m)

The balcony on my apartment in BKK (older building) is 0.9M high.  Leaning out over it puts my center of gravity out over the wall, and if my feet were to slip on a wet floor, I'd be a goner.  Learned that in my first week when some birds (the feathered kind) fighting on the balcony below mine had me leaning over for a look-see.

I think Thai people grow up with the danger so they're less likely to have an accidental fall than a foreigner who grew up where building design negated the need for caution.  Especially when there's some holiday thinking involved.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 29/08/2017 at 11:19 PM, lemonjelly said:

I can't think of a hotel with 31 floors in hat Yai except possibly Lee Gardens, and I'm sure it doesn't have balconies

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 30/08/2017 at 3:43 AM, Damrongsak said:

An article in Pattaya One said it was the Lee Gardens Plaza hotel.  33 stories. (The one that was bombed in 2012.) I looked at some pictures of the outside and the rooms and I didn't see any balconies.

Yes it was the Lee Gardens Hotel, and there are no balconies, just a window. There is a roof garden but that's on the north side, the body was found in the alley on the south side, between the Lee Gardens and Grand Plaza hotels.