PHOTOS: from the grand opening of the new Pattaya Underpass

Jonathan Fairfield

Cheers. How are they stopping bikes from entering???

They will stop bikes for a few weeks and then jusy ignore them jusy as they do at the start of the motorway where you can see large signs saying NO MOTORCYCLES fine is 5000 B.

Or prison.

Any day you can see 5 to 10 bikes on the first stretch.

4 hours ago, edd said:

They will stop bikes for a few weeks and then jusy ignore them jusy as they do at the start of the motorway where you can see large signs saying NO MOTORCYCLES fine is 5000 B.

Or prison.

Any day you can see 5 to 10 bikes on the first stretch.

" Whadya mean no bloody motorcycles .. Prayut never told me about that  " .. ?

_20170825_081058.JPG

News reports from last night said that the ventilator fans were not working and the tunnel were flooded with fumes. With all the carbon monoxide and stuff, there won't be many motorcycles rider left after they entered the tunnel

7 hours ago, digbeth said:

News reports from last night said that the ventilator fans were not working and the tunnel were flooded with fumes. With all the carbon monoxide and stuff, there won't be many motorcycles rider left after they entered the tunnel

Is it even long enough to require fans? I survived the Too Ashuu tunnel. 2.7km of hell. LOL

9 hours ago, Rimmer said:

It's open this morning for traffic found this vid of a drive through

Good video

the bonnet was bouncing quite a lot, doesn't say much for the road surface

Better than SoI Siam C.C though

It is done and finally opened.

But if you are using the right turn into Pattaya Klang a bit of a problem still not solved which is why the tunnel was built. It will be very interesting to see what it looks like around Soi Siam and Pattaya Klang.

This morning the traffic was back up a bit on the right to Pattaya Klang. The traffic lights holds the vehicle far too back of the intersection to Sukhumvit going into Klang. The far two left lanes particular the second one from the left holds up all the traffic still, the far left one doesn't allow vehicles to continue through even when there is no traffic coming from Klang or Sukhumvit, so they hold all the traffic and this morning it was quiet. Just wait until it gets busy.

I proceeded up with my bike to the front to the crest of Sukhumvit, can't see any reason why they hold the traffic so far back but if you do you can't see the signal lights.

Coming back the traffic was backed up going into Soi Siam. I just hope it all works out since it was 3 years and close to a billion baht. 

I've always felt, one of the major problem was the signal light system and the police in the boxes that control the system. Too much preference is given to vehicle traveling up and down Sukhumvit the average time is 90 second and even longer when it is busy, result backs traffic back up.

The decision is left up to the officers who have no training or alternatives to direct traffic. Personally, they are like 60 years behind times because they could have invested first in a computer system to count the vehicles at a particular time and place sensors in the ground to detect the number of vehicles at the intersection. A billion hope it was worth it but the feeling on Friday we will end up with the same stuff but you won't hear that from the officials?

I just hope it is a work in progress and they improve it?

Edited by thailand49

I ought to start a new thread:

Things that would transform Thailand  (for the better).

1. All traffic lights controlled by sensors  (in the road) NOT just on a primitive timer!!!

It would be like a breath of fresh air ❤❤❤

How is the flood water evacuated ? Has this tunnel solved the traffic jams ?

It is built at the top of a hill with a slope from one end to the other. The worst that will happen will be like a fast flowing river a couple of inches deep. So please everyone stop saying what happens when it floods!

Traffic flowing beautifully last night and today.

Great improvement, well done whoever thought it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app