House For Wife's Family

I'm financing the construction of a house in Isan that my Wife's family will be living in. Her three brothers work in construction. They plan on hiring a contractor to do the roof. The rest of the work they will be doing them selfs with a few local workers. I know little about construction in America and nothing about it in Thailand.

Would 400,000 bt be sufficient to build a simple house? The family is very frugal and I know they won't waste money. They just want a decent home for her sisters two children and they never asked for my help.

I'm financing the construction of a house in Isan that my Wife's family will be living in. Her three brothers work in construction. They plan on hiring a contractor to do the roof. The rest of the work they will be doing them selfs with a few local workers. I know little about construction in America and nothing about it in Thailand.

Would 400,000 bt be sufficient to build a simple house? The family is very frugal and I know they won't waste money. They just want a decent home for her sisters two children and they never asked for my help.

Yes.

I hear about lots of people saying you need to spend a million baht and up... I don't agree. If they are doing lots of the work themselves, making an effort to source materials and getting local help, then 400,000 baht is plenty to build a simple house.

On the building forum are many peoples experiences, with pictures and first hand knowledge. It's very interesting so look at a few of those threads.

A close friend just had a quote for building a simple 15 x 18 metre 2 bedroom house with living area, bathroom, kitchen and verandah.

With a builder doing all the work they were quoted between 300,000 to 500,000 Baht depending on materials quality.

400,000 should build an acceptable house with the labor you described.