After Tomorrow

loong

During a conversation last night a phrase I have never heard was spoken.

It sounded like Choowun nee, but I could be wrong.

From the conversation it would appear that it meant sometime in the future, but not specific.

พรุ่งนี้

Proongnee

tomorrow

มะรืนนี้

mareunnee

Day after tomorrow

?

Choowun nee

Sometime after that????

If anybody can help me with this please can you post the Thai spelling as I can usually pronounce it better when written in Thai.

Thanks

Chao wun nee

เช้าวันนี้

- Today morning

Chao waan nee

เช้าวานนี้

-Yesterday morning

bonus

Ma Reuang

มะเรื่อง

- Two days after tomorrow ( three days from today)

Edited by BambinA

A few current tense phrases.

ตอนนี้ dton née - at this moment

ปัจจุบัน bpàt-jòo-ban - currently

ขณะนี้ kà-nà née - at this time

ช่วงนี้ chûang née - at this period ; lately at this time ; presently

คราวนี้ kraao née - this occasion

ทีนี้ tee née - now ; at present

ในเวลานี้ nai way-laa née - at this time ; meanwhile

Since they are similar in meaning, I'm not sure of the governing rules, just know when to use them from experience.

Great summary. :D

Added some comments to each for discussion, based on my experience. (which means they are not necessarily 100% correct, just the way I have heard them used myself).

Some of them are interchangeable in some circumstances.

ในเวลานี้ nai way-laa née - at this time ; meanwhile

Used more in writing than in spoken Thai. Usually referring to something that occurred in the past, such as the story in a novel.

ตอนนี้ dton née - at this moment

Common, both in written and spoken Thai.

ปัจจุบัน bpàt-jòo-ban - currently

More formal, used both in written and spoken Thai. Can also take นี้ afterwards like the others. Usually not understood to mean "currently" as in 'at this very point in time', rather referring to the general state of things with 'now' seen as a longer period. Perhaps 'at present' would be a good translation.

In my experience this most often refers to a more specific 'point' in time.

คราวนี้ kraao née - this occasion

I think the English translation is good here. คราวนี้ kraao née is often heard in speeches made on 'special occasions' like weddings etc.

ทีนี้ tee née - now ; at present

Used in sentences like 'Now, I am not sure what this means' i.e. where 'now' is a bit removed from it's original meaning, and more takes the position of a filler word than specifically referring to time.

That is my understanding of their usage... at present... :o

Where I first noticed this one and hear often is on the radio going to work and listening to Thai news. I rarely hear it in everyday conversation. Do you think it is too formal for normal use?

I often use เดี๋ยวนี้ dĭeow née (immediately) to emphasise expediency. (I forgot that one) :o

Where I first noticed this one and hear often is on the radio going to work and listening to Thai news. I rarely hear it in everyday conversation. Do you think it is too formal for normal use?

Yes - except for jokingly/sarcastically, when you modulate your voice to sound like a recorded message or formal announcement.

Then again, there are always people who use more advanced and formal vocabulary than others - even in informal settings... but so far I have not met any.

I often use เดี๋ยวนี้ dĭeow née (immediately) to emphasise expediency. (I forgot that one) :o

Good one.

More formal than ขณะนี้ even is บัดนี้. I can see the possibility of using ขณะนี้ with one's elders or social superiors without getting strange looks (which isn't really "normal" use, so the advice above still stands), but บัดนี้ is one I've only ever seen in writing. Maybe in period movies like Suriyothai? :o

Edited by Rikker

More formal than ขณะนี้ even is บัดนี้. I can see the possibility of using ขณะนี้ with one's elders or social superiors without getting strange looks (which isn't really "normal" use, so the advice above still stands), but บัดนี้ is one I've only ever seen in writing. Maybe in period movies like Suriyothai? :D

Guess this is the long winded version > จนกระทั่งบัดนี้ jon-grà-tâng-bàt-née - up until now. :o

ช่วงนี้

That is obviously what I heard. Lot's of great info, thanks everyone.

As you]re all being so helpfull, can you post some examples of the use of ช่วงนี้ please?

A couple of examples I saw in an email a while back:

ช่วงนี้นุชปีดเทอมแต่นุชก็ยังสอน summer ที่ โรงเรียนอยู่ - At the moment its the end of term but I'm still teaching summer school.

ช่วงนี้นิ่มไม่ค่อยสบายจะต้องไปหาหมอ - I haven't been feeling very well recently and have to go see the doctor.

A much more simplistic way to talk about future events is to simply say ....

neung wan gwa

song wan gwa

sarm wan gwa. [/quote

Wouldn't they need to be prefixed by eek?

อ๊ก

Can you use อีกสองวันไป ? eek song wan pai

How would you use

อีกแลว ? eek laeow (sorry, for some reason cannot get the อั over the top of ล :o Mod please put it in for me if you can)

Edited by loong

A much more simplistic way to talk about future events is to simply say ....

neung wan gwa

song wan gwa

sarm wan gwa.

Wouldn't they need to be prefixed by eek?

อ๊ก

Can you use อีกสองวันไป ? eek song wan pai

How would you use

อีกแลว ? eek laeow (sorry, for some reason cannot get the อั over the top of ล :o Mod please put it in for me if you can)

Yes you could....I was being very simplistic....

eek song wan bpai....what context are you trying to convey

eek laeow....depends on what context it is being used in

อีกแล้ว - yet again, all over again, "here we go again".

As in คุณลืมให้อาหารกับแมวอีกแล้ว มันก็เลยไปหาอะไรกินที่ที่ทิ้งขยะแทน You forgot to feed the cat yet again, so it went to look for something to eat in the rubbish bin (trash can) instead.

This expresses a certain amount of annoyance.

อีกสองวันไป

There is no need for ไป here, just use อีกสองวัน - (in) another two days.

สองวันกว่า = more than two days (not fully three days). This expresses duration or length of time, and is not used to refer to the future as far as I know. It is a shortened form of มากกว่าสองวัน .

Sentence example:

เขาพักที่โรงแรมนั้นนานเท่าไร

สองอาธิตย์กว่า

For how long did he stay at that hotel?

(For) over two weeks.

Many learners in the beginning find it difficult to differentiate between ตอนนี้ (Torn nee = now) and ตรงนี้ (Trong nee = here). As the r is often dropped, the difference lies both in the vowel sound and the n/ng consonant.

Also nobody has mentioned สมัยนี้ (Samai nee = in these times). I use this quite often to talk about social changes. People seem to get the point.