British expats in Thailand feeling the misery as the UK pound drops to record low levels.

cyberfarang

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, tomas557 said:

How would a British retiree who arrived here more than 5 years ago been able to research or plan for the current situation?

I did my financial planning 15 years ago when the baht was well over 70 to the GBP.

Kudos to anyone who plans 20 or more years into the future.

I was sure I had got it right then but now and again I am not quite so sure.

I am worse off than some and better off than others.

7 minutes ago, tomas557 said:

Well at least I don't have to resort to getting pissed at home, as you suggest, so I doubt my life is that boring

Thats a matter of interpretation. Why not have a drink at home no one exept you said getting pissed. I have had drinks at home all over the world. But if you prefer not to thats your choice as having a drink at home is mine. So yes i belive you are boring on so many levels.

19 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

This has been done to death,  l can only write/say as l've said before numerous times if research history & planning was done by retiree's wanted to stay and live in Thailand then it shouldn't be a problem.

This is a rather stupid post. When I retired to Thailand 17 years ago the exchange rate at the time was in the high 60's.

How could any research tell me that the idiotic Brexit would come about and that the baht would be in the low 40's in 2017?

I personally have seen a shortfall in my retirement pension of more than 100 000 baht in the last 12 months and that figure can go a long way in this country.

28 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Typical stupid response. Enjoy your boring life pal

yes I agree, stupid response, I have a life but don't want to waste it away in the crushing boredom of most bars,

Its often said the biggest bar chain in Hong Kong, one of the worlds most vibrant cities is..........7/11...

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I agree, buy low, sell higher. I don't look for recommendations, i ignore them. I invest in investment funds mostly, occasionally i go for a company but only if its crashed and i think undervalued. Usually i pick very good performing funds which have a good track record 5-10 years. The thing with investment funds is you need to factor in exchange rates also and the impact on the fund price. No point investing in a £ US Fund if you think £ will get stronger outweighing any US equity gains.

Most people buy high sell low whilst panicking and then want to buy a Pattaya condo for passive income.

If you're a Brit there's one hell of a difference between "funds" and "trusts". If you're holding through Hargreaves Lansdown you'll be humped on expenses and charges on "funds", and - unless you're really cute about how you organize things - they're generally expensive. Closed-end vehicles - investment trusts - are a lot better, as long as you understand a few basic things. 

18 minutes ago, Jonnapat said:

This is a rather stupid post. When I retired to Thailand 17 years ago the exchange rate at the time was in the high 60's.

How could any research tell me that the idiotic Brexit would come about and that the baht would be in the low 40's in 2017?

I personally have seen a shortfall in my retirement pension of more than 100 000 baht in the last 12 months and that figure can go a long way in this country.

Idiotic to you living in Thailand for 17years. Not idiotic to those (and im not one as i live in thailand pay no taxes anymore to Uk) who live under the rule of an outdated EU run by Germany in the main for there own good.

Its very easy to throw away comments like yours when you no longer and indeed by your own hand admit to living here for 17 years.

13 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

By looking at the history of what's happened with the Thai baht rate and the £ rate was what l did.

Got most of my £'s over in Sept 2005 when it was 75 my guess would be that we will never see that again but who knows.

Oh man! God, even the thought of 75. I can feel myself stirring at the very contemplation of it. 75. Mmmmmmm. I'd definitely fill my boots at 75. 

My observation's reading these posts are the I'm ok's I changed years ago and got lucky and those exposed by the ridiculous brexit vote and are not.

The unfortunate facts here is this is not a fluctuation its a long term can't see how sterling will come back calamity raising interest rates in the UK possibly the only way to support sterling right now is out of the question as this will crash the again over inflated housing market so where and when any good news comes out of the UK is anyone's guess.

One can only hope that the baht loses ground based on their exports must be struggling due to the baht's strength  the same way the UK'S exporter's are profiting from the pounds weakness  but again anyone's guess .

It's going to be a rocky ride unless your loaded and in the fortunate position of not giving a toss.  

2 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

My observation's reading these posts are the I'm ok's I changed years ago and got lucky and those exposed by the ridiculous brexit vote and are not.

Of EU migrants to the UK since 2010 only 12% of them are in a graduate level job paying £20,800 or more. It has been a wave of relatively low-skilled workers, and their supposed net contribution is at best very slight, and entirely an artifact of their being in their twenties and thirties. In a country with a £120bn a year system of in-work benefits, and a state that costs £11,000 per head per year, there wasn't any alternative to Brexit. If we'd kept going we'd have imported yet more people who - like most of the indigenous population - will be net recipients over the course of their lives. In order for their to be a UK we had to leave. But we don't have the counterfactual, and nobody looks at the forty year time-frame. If we'd stayed the total state spend on education, health and other services would have had to fall sharply per head. I'm not stupid. You can disagree with me, but Brexit wasn't ridiculous. A Treasury briefing paper which was predicated on Britain necessarily becoming protectionist if we left the EU was ridiculous. Channel 4 News claiming that a bigger economy in terms of total GDP was automatically a good thing was ridiculous. But Brexit wasn't ridiculous. It might be a mistake. Staying also might have been a mistake. But it certainly wasn't a no-brainer, and I for one thought it was time to draw a line.  

2 minutes ago, Craig krup said:

Of EU migrants to the UK since 2010 only 12% of them are in a graduate level job paying £20,800 or more. It has been a wave of relatively low-skilled workers, and their supposed net contribution is at best very slight, and entirely an artifact of their being in their twenties and thirties. In a country with a £120bn a year system of in-work benefits, and a state that costs £11,000 per head per year, there wasn't any alternative to Brexit. If we'd kept going we'd have imported yet more people who - like most of the indigenous population - will be net recipients over the course of their lives. In order for their to be a UK we had to leave. But we don't have the counterfactual, and nobody looks at the forty year time-frame. If we'd stayed the total state spend on education, health and other services would have had to fall sharply per head. I'm not stupid. You can disagree with me, but Brexit wasn't ridiculous. A Treasury briefing paper which was predicated on Britain necessarily becoming protectionist if we left the EU was ridiculous. Channel 4 News claiming that a bigger economy in terms of total GDP was automatically a good thing was ridiculous. But Brexit wasn't ridiculous. It might be a mistake. Staying also might have been a mistake. But it certainly wasn't a no-brainer, and I for one thought it was time to draw a line.  

48% said it was ridiculous  the EU immigrants run the heath and care service's

After 15 months please explain any benefit of leaving other than the poor getting poorer faster. 

11 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

After 15 months please explain any benefit of leaving other than the poor getting poorer faster. 

There's nothing I can type here. What would satisfy you. Suppose I drew to your attention the obvious fact that just because 48% of the turnout voted "Remain" doesn't mean that 48% thought leaving "ridiculous". An awful lot of people thought it was the lesser of two evils, and narrowly so. A lot of folk were terrified by Project Fear, ran by the Treasury and Bank of England. As to 15 months, we were making a decision for many decades into the future. In the grand scheme of things the UK has suffered remarkably little from the vote, as anyone not fretting about GBP-THB admits, including the staff of project fear. As to EU migrants running the health service, 1) they certainly don't, 2) if they're needed they could be given visas or work permits, 3) we've got huge numbers of African and SE Asian English speaking staff who are desperate to work here, and so on, and so on, and so on. 

I can't have an online Philadelphia Convention with someone who has the event horizon of a fighter pilot at fifty feet. This is about hundreds of generations as yet unborn, not today's exchange rate.   

28 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

52% said it wasnt NEXT.

Not left yet its called negotiation. 2019 is the leave date NEXT.

3 minutes ago, Craig krup said:

There's nothing I can type here. What would satisfy you. Suppose I drew to your attention the obvious fact that just because 48% of the turnout voted "Remain" doesn't mean that 48% thought leaving "ridiculous". An awful lot of people thought it was the lesser of two evils, and narrowly so. A lot of folk were terrified by Project Fear, ran by the Treasury and Bank of England. As to 15 months, we were making a decision for many decades into the future. In the grand scheme of things , as anyone not fretting about GBP-THB admits, including the staff of project fear. As to EU migrants running the health service, 1) they certainly don't, 2) if they're needed they could be given visas or work permits, 3) we've got huge numbers of African and SE Asian English speaking staff who are desperate to work here, and so on, and so on, and so on. 

I can't have an online Philadelphia Convention with someone who has the event horizon of a fighter pilot at fifty feet. This is about hundreds of generations as yet unborn, not today's exchange rate.   

You mean not sharing your narrowed tunnel vision. just saying hello to the Romanian male carers who turn up 4 times a day for my Father who don't need work permits. the UK has suffered remarkably little from the vote lol One PM government in minority inflation import prices and not one single thing agreed of how we are going to leave pound in junk territory have I missed any more of the benefits   

7 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

52% said it wasnt NEXT.

Not left yet its called negotiation. 2019 is the leave date NEXT.

30% of the 52% expected the immigrant's to be gone the next day based on the rubbish Boris 'Gove and Faranatang told them

11 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

You mean not sharing your narrowed tunnel vision. just saying hello to the Romanian male carers who turn up 4 times a day for my Father who don't need work permits. the UK has suffered remarkably little from the vote lol One PM government in minority inflation import prices and not one single thing agreed of how we are going to leave pound in junk territory have I missed any more of the benefits   

Yup. And if they do 24 hours, have a partner and six kids do you think the UK can find £3,500 a month to give them for their £850 worth of work? Do you think we can make that offer for an indefinite number of Romanians, Bulgarians and others? There's a Swiss clinic which is moving high-dependency old folk to Chiang Mai to make use of £300 a month qualified nurses. Do you think that's madness? Should we persist with the unqualified carers, whose time costs more than an evening with Madam Fifi's girls? 

1 hour ago, Craig krup said:

Oh man! God, even the thought of 75. I can feel myself stirring at the very contemplation of it. 75. Mmmmmmm. I'd definitely fill my boots at 75. 

At the back end of 1997 it was touching 90 THB/GBP.

2 minutes ago, Craig krup said:

Yup. And if they do 24 hours, have a partner and six kids do you think the UK can find £3,500 a month to give them for their £850 worth of work? Do you think we can make that offer for an indefinite number of Romanians, Bulgarians and others? There's a Swiss clinic which is moving high-dependency old folk to Chiang Mai to make use of £300 a month qualified nurses. Do you think that's madness? Should we persist with the unqualified carers, whose time costs more than an evening with Madam Fifi's girls? 

Your high on something other than your horse .

Just now, Craig krup said:

Jesus. Imagine every single price right now being halved. 

It was great.

Sadly I lost my job as the company I worked for billed the client in USD and they ran out of foreign currency as their bill had doubled in THB.

20 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

My guess is, considering the £ is at is weakest level since many years and the bank interest rates are also at their lowest since for may years, that there will be a mass exodus of Brits leaving Thailand. I won`t be one of them as I was one of those who planned well, but many Brits were still living on shoestring budgets even when the exchange rates were reasonable enough to get by on.

Thanks for sharing the view from Smugsville.

7 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Your high on something other than your horse .

You mean, "You're high..." 

The things I worry about are the things the adults have to worry about. Taking stances is fine. "Thinking" with the frontal lobes is fine. Posing is fine. Conforming to bien pensant (ooooo, missus!!) opinion is fine. But there comes a point when the thinking folk come to the fore and try to reduce the total sum of human misery. The average person thinks that the Quality Adjusted Life Year and the system of triage are "barbaric", "disgusting" and involve "putting a price on human life". Their attitude, of course - if we were ever daft enough to allow them to run anything - would kill a lot more people. 

We have to use reason. There's nothing groovy, right-on or nice about not using reason. That, incidentally, is one of the things I like most about Remain voters. There's an old saying - "Nobody can imagine doing anything for a reason they themselves couldn't hold". So if a Remain voter has simplistic reasons for their position then it has to be the case that Leave voters have similarly simplistic reasons. Well, some might. I don't. 

1 minute ago, sammieuk1 said:

Wow you sound a real fun guy are you thinking that to?.

Fun's really important. Old people lying in their own filth is just no fun. People being stabbed and raped because of the want of sufficient police officers is no fun at all. Kids dying needlessly of cancer when expensive - but readily available - drugs would save them is a situation devoid of fun. This is why people like me worry about spending hundreds of billions of pounds compensating Slovakia's Roma for centuries of shoddy treatment. In and of itself I take pleasure in their pleasure.

I'll tell you something else that isn't fun. Adulthood. Recognizing the evil that you do when you refuse to think. That's no fun. Seeing that you've spent decades sneering at other folk, and then suddenly realizing that maybe they're right. Again, no fun. Better than the alternative, though. Better than spending twenty more years acting badly and believing twelve impossible things before breakfast.