Thai Wife's Plane Tickets - Which Name(s) to Use - Married or Maiden?

Curious -- did she get a waiver already?  I am confused because I believe you said she overstayed for 6-years and you got married a couple months ago and then applied for green card.  Unless you received a waiver I would expect you are not only not going to get a Green Card but she is going to be barred from entering the USA for 10-years due to the overstay.  

Even if she got a provisional waiver, which I believe she can only do if married to you already, she would have had to return to Thailand at some point and you are saying she has not been back for 6-years. This makes me also think you are going to be in for a rude awakening on the Green Card. Unless I am missing something, I suggest you look into this and possibly contact an attorney. 

We won't leave the USA until she gets her Green Card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, wtboatr said:

We won't leave the USA until she gets her Green Card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regretfully, I don't believe  that is an option. The only way she is going to get a green card is if she gets a wavier for her overstay and reenters the country legally. 

Again, I would really suggest you contact an attorney who specializes in immigration issues. Given the current climate in the US, applying for a green card in this situation is basically waiving a flag telling them where they can pick up another illegal immigrant in the country.

You might want to read up a bit, here is one link ... https://www.americanimmigrationcouncil.org/research/three-and-ten-year-bars

On 8/30/2017 at 8:21 PM, DrDave said:

I stated that "some countries will accept a Green Card in lieu of a US passport", meaning that for the purpose of determining entry eligibility, the Green Card is equivalent to a US passport. Of course, they may also require a passport from the Green Card holder's native country, but we're talking about the specific need for a US passport here.

My wife boarded a Caribbean cruise departing from the US in 2009 using her Green Card. To be honest, I don't recall whether she also had to show her Thai passport, but at the time, she did not hold a US passport, and had no problem using her Green Card in lieu of a US passport.

And yes, rules have changed over the years for re-entry to the US for Green Card holders. They must now also show a passport. Any valid passport. Obviously not a US passport since the Green Card is surrendered when the applicant receives their US citizenship, and they therefore wouldn't be re-entering with a Green Card.

Also, maybe things have changed in the past few years, but I've crossed into Mexico via the land at the Chula Vista crossing many times with absolutely no ID required on the Mexican side. Not even a checkpoint.

There are a few countries in the region you can enter if you have permanent resident status (Green Card) in the US that you could not otherwise travel with a Thai passport without a visa. This includes some cruises but you also have to show your passport. 

And yes, no more entering Canada and Mexico just using your US ID. Never remember a time you could cross into either country without showing any form of ID.

I am aware of no country that would allow a US citizen to travel without a passport and just a US ID let alone just a Green Card ... even the US is not going to let somebody reenter the country just on a green card.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

I stated that "some countries will accept a Green Card in lieu of a US passport", meaning that for the purpose of determining entry eligibility, the Green Card is equivalent to a US passport. Of course, they may also require a passport from the Green Card holder's native country, but we're talking about the specific need for a US passport here.

My wife boarded a Caribbean cruise departing from the US in 2009 using her Green Card. To be honest, I don't recall whether she also had to show her Thai passport, but at the time, she did not hold a US passport, and had no problem using her Green Card in lieu of a US passport.

And yes, rules have changed over the years for re-entry to the US for Green Card holders. They must now also show a passport. Any valid passport. Obviously not a US passport since the Green Card is surrendered when the applicant receives their US citizenship, and they therefore wouldn't be re-entering with a Green Card.

Also, maybe things have changed in the past few years, but I've crossed into Mexico via the land at the Chula Vista crossing many times with absolutely no ID required on the Mexican side. Not even a checkpoint.

Thank you for validating exactly what I posted. The idea that a green card is the equivalent of a US passport for international travel is rubbish.

• 4 months later...

For what it's worth at this point in the conversation...my wife has traveled to Thailand both ways...  i.e., with a ticket using her maiden name (same as in her Thai passport), and once using my last name (same as on her green card).  Neither presented a problem, though using my last name cause just a moment of confusion upon check in to depart from the US.  The only thing is that you must have a copy of your marriage certificate.  Easy enough.  We carry a couple copies in case someone wants a memento.

We are returning to Thailand again in a few months, and this she'll use my name on the ticket.  And we do that because upon returning to the US, it is easier if the ticket matches the name on her green card.  She has global entry too, so if we don't use my last name, then she gets a big X on her entry card.