Korat City - Decent restaurants

Speedo1968

Can anyone advise if any of the following types of restaurants are in Korat City.

Korat City as have to use public transport.

Not the normal Fuji, Pizza Hut etc

Looking for something a bit special, unable to travel long distances at this time so, unfortunately Bangkok is out.

Indian, Greek, Arab, Italian ( not just pizza ), Spanish ( vegetarian ).

First hand experience would be great as would be any phone contact numbers.

I have found a couple of places online but either the phone number does not work or there is no phone number.

Can only help you with a nice Japanese restaurant: Kuroda.

Located opposite the police station in the city in a tiny street. There is a sign at the main street indicating the tiny street.

Popular with local Japanese workers. They have a buffet for 450 baht.

3 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Can only help you with a nice Japanese restaurant: Kuroda.

Located opposite the police station in the city in a tiny street. There is a sign at the main street indicating the tiny street.

Popular with local Japanese workers. They have a buffet for 450 baht.

Thanks Bob12345

Will check it out.

When you have transportation I ate two days in a row at a place on a lake with the chalets you sit in around the lake. It was not far from The Mall.

best food I have had in Thailand.....Asparagus with black mushroom and shrimp....delicious.....and lots of asparagus. Also a coconut filled with a creamy seafood curry....once again delicious. The two of us couldn't eat everything and took it home.

There are a number of restaurants with lakes around Korat.....this one was alongside a two lane road. Local farang will probably know where it is....and also along that road I saw a Brit flag and saying English food and curries.

i spent 18 days in Korat and was surprised to only see around a dozen farang......thought that was odd. I really liked the city, much nicer than Chiang Mai, and nicely spread out.....of course I wasn't there in the heat. Be interested to hear farang residents ten cents of how it is when it is very hot and what they do to deal with it.

I recommend Ban Ya Steakhouses you can find them everywhere in Korat, they serve T-Bone steaks with a unique touch - They use sledgehammers to pulverize and flatten the meat before they serve it to you...

If you ask for size XL, it takes a bit longer to beat a little more crap out of it to make it appear bigger.

Forget Wagu steak - Ban Ya uses only meat from the oldest and weakest stock - the sort of cuts you would never pick up in a supermarket.

16 hours ago, Mansell said:

When you have transportation I ate two days in a row at a place on a lake with the chalets you sit in around the lake. It was not far from The Mall.

best food I have had in Thailand.....Asparagus with black mushroom and shrimp....delicious.....and lots of asparagus. Also a coconut filled with a creamy seafood curry....once again delicious. The two of us couldn't eat everything and took it home.

There are a number of restaurants with lakes around Korat.....this one was alongside a two lane road. Local farang will probably know where it is....and also along that road I saw a Brit flag and saying English food and curries.

i spent 18 days in Korat and was surprised to only see around a dozen farang......thought that was odd. I really liked the city, much nicer than Chiang Mai, and nicely spread out.....of course I wasn't there in the heat. Be interested to hear farang residents ten cents of how it is when it is very hot and what they do to deal with it.

Thanks Mansell for details of what sounds a great place to eat.    Could do with a decent real curry.

Unfortunately I won't be on the road as I no longer drive due to health issues and, a recent stroke etc.

Never drove in Thailand but did regularly in Malaysia.

Have lived / worked in Thailand for may years but never drove here.   I worked freelance for a Bangkok based company but, went to different places up country 5 - 7 days a week, often staying overnight or for a week.     Quite often doing a 48 hour shift going to a farm, then back to Bangkok airport then back to farm for a 24 hour session; on top of this I was on call 24/7, I had and needed a company driver.

Only visited Korat a few times, mainly because the water park at The Mall has a 50mtr competition pool and a water slide that is reasonable.    The water park is great off peak especially for a good swimming workout and much better than other parks, it's clean, plenty of life guards and food is reasonable.

As for what to do when it's hot I am sure you will get plenty of replies.    It's not the heat it's the humidity that gets you.   I lived and worked in Saudi and Kuwait, much of it in desert areas where temperatures could reach 60C in Summer.

17 hours ago, TerryLH said:

Big Chili Mexican restaurant.

Sorry, can't give decent directions.

Thanks TerryLH for name of restaurant.

I like Mexican styled food but am vegetarian / vegan.  Still, can get Mexican styled food.

Unfortunately the online sight is saying restaurant is closed and no phone number to check.

11 hours ago, thrilled said:

You should try The Mall and Terminal 21.They both have many restaurants.Plus another shopping mall is opening at Korat near Christmas.

Thanks 'thrilled', yes have been to both malls last year.

Another mall opening, don't they ever learn or are there enough people still interested in the novelty ?

The Mall I have visited a few times because, the water park there has a decent and clean 50mtr competition pool, good for a proper workout.    Also the rest of the park is clean, lifeguards a plenty and food is reasonable: you can also go out and come in again.

Will re-check the food delights in The Mall and Terminal 21 next time I am there.

My diet is normally vegan ( strictly no meat, fish nor preferably milk ) but, will close my eyes to cheese in a salad, hence my liking  for arab / greek food.     I try to get to Bangkok at least twice a year.

11 hours ago, Jim7777 said:

There are some great restaurants in the mall and Terminal 21if you're looking for western style food if not there are other great restaurants all over the city.  There's one in particular right next door to the Hopp Inn hotel.  

Thanks Jim7777.

Have tried both malls but as you say they serve "western - style - food" emphasis on "style".

I am looking for something different.

Would also prefer vegan / vegetarian.   There is a small place near the central square I think, about 35 baht per portion and good taste too.

The Mall I like because of it's 50mtr competition swimming pool.

On August 31, 2017 at 10:09 AM, Rdrokit said:

Check out this website. Very good info about Korat.

http://www.whatsonkorat.com/index.php

Thank you. I am planning on moving there later this year. Do you know if any farangs or Thais play tennis there? As a backup the badminton place looked good, and the quiz nights.....used to go to those in Siem Reap, a lot of fun until it was music through the years....after the 80's we were dead in the water.

6 hours ago, Mansell said:

Thank you. I am planning on moving there later this year. Do you know if any farangs or Thais play tennis there? As a backup the badminton place looked good, and the quiz nights.....used to go to those in Siem Reap, a lot of fun until it was music through the years....after the 80's we were dead in the water.

Don't know of any tennis players but there are a lot of expats that play golf.

On 8/29/2017 at 11:24 AM, Speedo1968 said:

Thanks Jim7777.

Have tried both malls but as you say they serve "western - style - food" emphasis on "style".

I am looking for something different.

Would also prefer vegan / vegetarian.   There is a small place near the central square I think, about 35 baht per portion and good taste too.

The Mall I like because of it's 50mtr competition swimming pool.

You can also try the little country restaurants to they're pretty good.  

On 9/8/2017 at 6:04 AM, Jim7777 said:

You can also try the little country restaurants to they're pretty good.  

Yes, I am sure the 'local' restaurants outside Korat may offer the possibility of non-menu food.  Unfortunately I have no transport.   I live about 50Km south of Khon Kaen and use local transport where ever I go.