Laptop battery not charging

dfdgfdfdgs

Wondering if anybody can suggest what might be the issue with my laptop...

When you unplug the laptop from mains power, the laptop switches off, even when the battery is connected to the laptop and the laptop has a charge.  So I bought a new battery.  Replacement is the same, so I assume no problem with the batteries.

When the battery is connected to the laptop, the charging icon appears, so the laptop recognises that the battery is there.  The battery shows a charge of 73%, so it can even 'read' the battery.  But when you hover over the power icon it says "plugged in, not charging".  The charge of 73% never goes up or down.

The laptop works fine when plugged in to mains power, but I'd like to regain portability.

On 29/08/2017 at 9:50 AM, ravip said:

Try a firmware/BIOS upgrade. I might solve your problem.

Unless there is a specific reference to a battery or charging issue in the release notes then that is the last thing he should do.

The risks involved in a BIOS flash outweigh any potential gain. (In my opinion)

1 hour ago, JaiMaai said:

Unless there is a specific reference to a battery or charging issue in the release notes then that is the last thing he should do.

The risks involved in a BIOS flash outweigh any potential gain. (In my opinion)

That's a bit over the limit!

Over the years, I have flashed over 100 PC's without ANY mishap!

(BTW I work in the IT field)

Edit: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-15-p000-notebook-pc-series/6936226/model/7255717

2 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

So, you know what you are doing.

Would you advise a novice to start attempting BIOS flashes without being sure it would fix the problem?

:wai:

Please carry on.

I take your leave!

10 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

I'm a liberal sort but I don't think this is the time or the place for any flashing thank you.

We're talking about PCs.......

Not Macs........

(I'll get my coat / mac / err....)

I had a go at that a while back.  I went through most of the suggestions that came up in a Google search.

To add... the touchpad stopped working altogether a while after the battery problem emerged, so I have to use a mouse.  The wifi adapter is very weak to the point where I've had to get a USB wifi stick to use instead of the wifi adapter in the laptop.  That issue is about as old as the battery issue too.

I wonder if all these things are connected in some way.

unplug from the mains. remove the battery. hold down the start button for 30 seconds. replace the battery and try again.

i have a faulty old asus netbook and i do this all the time.

you do have a fault but this will reset the bios.

do not flash the bios. that is just asking for trouble.

13 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

I'm a liberal sort but I don't think this is the time or the place for any flashing thank you.

Not sure about that......seems to me like anytime might be a good time (except in the middle of Cental Festival at rush hour maybe)555

Sounds like you have some hardware problems.

Disassemble the laptop and clean it inside (Vacuum, especially around cooling system area and fan),  if that does not help I am afraid your charging circuits and some other hardware probably is damaged. I would guess it relates to some power supply circuit for those particular components on your board. If that is the case, time to buy a new laptop.

I bought a new replacement battery at Pantip plaza. I asked for original and they promised its an original (400 baht cheaper than what Acer sells). It charges to only 74%. Tried fully discharge / recharge cycle many times. No effect. Cleared battery cache no effect. Took back and they gave me 2 other "new bats" to try and same problem.  Ultimately I think they are all fake batteries. The original battery is 4 years old, can still charge to 100% but discharges in 1 1/2 hours because its old. 

I have a thinkpad now 3-4 years old.  Latest updates in win 10 have resulted in issues with fingerprint scan uninstalling drivers and the battery issue you mention.   I did as other users here suggest, removed battery and used mains.  I need to buy a new battery now.  Not sure if its worth getting the new laptop or new battery. hmmm...

I had the same problem already with two laptops (I use always my laptop with charger plugged in) : one Dell, one Asus. I replaced the charger with an unversal charger and the problem was solved (no battery replacement). Hope it helps.

5 hours ago, aglae4 said:

I had the same problem already with two laptops (I use always my laptop with charger plugged in) : one Dell, one Asus. I replaced the charger with an unversal charger and the problem was solved (no battery replacement). Hope it helps.

Prior to replacing the battery I did check the charging voltage with a voltmeter and it was correct.

If a bad battery is present the laptop still works while plugged in, just my experience.

I've had a similar problem since 'the chang' fitted a new motherboard for me. He switched it on to show me it was working but didn't demonstrate charging, wonder why...?

Mine is an Acer Aspire E1-431G which is over 5 years old now (not sure about the mobo). I know it's time for a new one but I'd recently spent a lot of cash on it - new battery (old one was at 20% capacity), upgrade to 8GB RAM, SSD, new keyboard & caddy to convert the DVD bay to hold the old HD.

I've tried everything mentioned here including:

1. Flashing the BIOS to v1.24 which enabled me to (slowly) charge when powered down.

2. Removing non-essential components & swapping out RAM modules.

3. Upgrade to W10.

4. Reset CMOS battery (100 times).

'Chang' mentioned that he had to sand down a lot of rust in the case when fitting the new motherboard. I suspect the problem is a short within the charging circuit(s), given that it charges when powered down. I also get a series of fast, short beeps when charging with the AC power connected which indicates a power issue.

So my options, when I'm not this busy, include:

1. Take the damn thing apart & sand down any further rust.

2. Replace components, or fix by soldering, any faulty components in the charging circuit.

3. Flash the 'BIOS' to the latest available version, which is UEFI which might provide some added functionality.

...or if you can't be arsed with all that, just bite the bullet & buy a new one. 

Archived