Laptop battery not charging

dfdgfdfdgs

I had this issue withan acer laptop I bought in MBK 9 years ago, it started playing up like this bout three years ago, i tried whats been posted no change, then it turned out it was the heat sink on the chip sets, there are DIY kits on fleabay etc and how to on Youtube.

I could not be bothered faffing about with a 6 year old pc so just went and bought a new HP Pavillion I5 in the end

I have two HP's.  Try two things: First... Shut down. Unplug the power connector. Disconnect the battery.  Snap back in. plug in power connector. boot up.  See that fixed the problem.

If not. Run on battery only until it shuts off. Reconnect power connector and reboot. This reconditions the battery. Should charge up to full.

6 minutes ago, Mrjlh said:

I have two HP's.  Try two things: First... Shut down. Unplug the power connector. Disconnect the battery.  Snap back in. plug in power connector. boot up.  See that fixed the problem.

If not. Run on battery only until it shuts off. Reconnect power connector and reboot. This reconditions the battery. Should charge up to full.

Tried both, many times. I can live with charging during downtime but I wish that my lapo could run off AC only...maybe the new UEFI will enable that function...?

Just for your info:

My HP ProBook 4530s came to this situation exactly after 300 battery charge/discharge cycles.

But a new battery solved the issue.

HP Support Assistants, Battery Check software shows the charge cycles.

• 2 weeks later...

This'll be the last post on this topic so thanks for all replies.

I already tried a new battery, so I'm fairly sure the problem isn't the battery.

I tried BIOS update using the link somebody kindly provided; didn't work.

I tried all the youtube tricks, none worked.

I think a couple of the later posts on here mentioning hardware, rust, dust, boards are probably closer to the route of the problem.  The laptop is not that old but it's had a hard life and is missing most of the screws and there is some rust and dust present.  It's often been used in close proximity to beaches and salt water and sand.  I suspect it's something to do with a wiring fault or some component on a circuit board not connecting to where it should.

I'll keep the laptop as a back-up and buy a new one.

So if you stumble across this thread and none of the things covered work for you, and you also have other parts of the laptop not working, my guess would be is it's the same issue as me and unless you want to spend a lot of money on a repair, you should just live with it or bin it.

Archived