Set top box

emilymat

I would be most grateful for some advice, as I'm ancient and a bit of a dummy on tech stuff.

I used to have Expat TV and 365, paid for monthly and streaming through one of these set top boxes. As most will know these services were taken off line by the army and I was left with just the box (and minus 8000 baht). Since then I have used the box to stream some programmes - notably cricket.  Unfortunately I get a lot of problems with the strea, but when I plug my laptop into the Tv the streaming is much better. A friend told me I had a cheap box supplied, but do not knw if this is true.

It is a Minix NEO X6.I may have loade too much on this box but don't know how to clear things.

My question then is whether I would benefit by buying a new box and, if I would, what box and where do I buy one in Pattaya?.  (Or Lazada etc.?)

With many thanks if you can supply advice.

Minix is a fairly good brand but the X6 is now showing is age with only an S805 processor, 1GB of RAM and only running an older version of Android (4.4.2) This is going to limit how much you can do with it.

You would benefit from getting a higher spec'd box but I won't recommend a specific model because someone else will come along to say it's rubbish.

Do a search for android box reviews on YouTube and decide yourself.

Get a box with a minimum of 2GB of RAM and, for me, 16GB of storage. Also get Android 6.0 or up. You might also want to familiarise yourself with the difference between Android and Android TV interfaces and which one best suits your needs. The Android TV is designed to work with a remote control and has built in media options while the pure android version is far more flexible.

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, emilymat said:

Lazada

I got mine using this service. Arrived 3 days later and very pleased. Octacore, Android 6 > 7.1 and 3GB RAM. Remote works brilliantly as one with device and TV. No buffering issues any more. I used to have an old Minix but this cost less than half the price at 2600THB. There are many brands to choose, search Youtube for latest reviews and shop online will have same model. Local shops will be offloading older models.