Ships Begin To Fix Damaged Internet Cables

george

How is your internet connectivity?  

337 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in Pattaya using CAT fast ADSL (which I have been very happy with!). My download is 1698 and the upload is 420. The service is quite expensive (about 3,000 a month), but worth it as I do a lot of video downloading.

The first couple of days after the earthquake there was a noticeable slowdown, but since then it's just been a minor annoyance. But I can still see very slow pings.

My connection is True 1M

Thaivisa

Last Result:

Download Speed: 814 kbps (101.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 411 kbps (51.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Speakeasy

Last Result:

Download Speed: 285 kbps (35.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 283 kbps (35.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

From Bophut, Koh Samui - Jan 6 2007 at 9:10 am

THAILAND

Download Speed: 328 kbps (41 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 192 kbps (24 KB/sec transfer rate)

USA - New York City NY

Download Speed: 105 kbps

Upload Speed: 138 kbps

Saturday morning in Rayong the speed is reported as 141 down and 162 up kbps, but I find that usenet servers for binaries are normal @300-500 kbps (depending on the time of the day), ftp, irc servers and www sites are hit and miss. I have a TOT ADSL 512/256 service.

cheers

Check your connection to thaivisa server here:

http://speedtest.thaivisa.com and tell us your results!

Ships begin to fix damaged cables

TAIPEI: -- Five repair ships have arrived in Taiwanese waters to fix earthquake-damaged undersea cables that have slowed down Internet traffic in the region, but the repair work could last two to three weeks, the state-run Chunghwa Telecom Co said yesterday.

"The repair ships arrived in Taiwan waters on Wednesday and sailed to the site of the damaged cables today," Chunghwa Telecom said in a statement.

"They will check and fix the damaged cables, but the repair will take two to three weeks," the statement said.

The four undersea cables linking Taiwan to south-east Asia, the United States and Europe have a total of nine ruptures caused by the December 26 earthquake off Taiwan's south coast.

The quake, measuring 6.7 on the Richter scale, left two people dead and about 50 injured.

The quake and its aftershocks damaged four of the six undersea cables owned by Chunghwa Telecom, cutting or slowing down the region's voice, data and Internet connections with the outside world.

It also affected business and daily life in neighboring countries as Taiwan is a rerouting point for their undersea cables.

A cable connecting China to the U.S. has three ruptures, one connecting south-east Asia to the Middle East and Western Europe has two ruptures, and two cables forming part of the Asia-Pacific Cable Network have 2 ruptures each.

Repairing the cables is a difficult task because divers must hook up both ends of the ruptured section of cable from the ocean floor up to 1,000 meters below the surface, connect the two ends and test the cable before lowering it to the ocean floor.

Chunghwa Telecom is expected to lose at least 150 million Taiwan dollars (4.5 million U.S. dollars) in repair fees and in lost charge fees which are exempted from the time the undersea cables were damaged until they are repaired.

Because of the incident, Chunghwa Telecom is considering laying more undersea cables, renting a telecommunications satellite or jointly launching a second telecommunications satellite with Singapore Telecom, Chunghwa Telecom Chairman Ho Chen-tan said last week.

Chunghwa Telecom would make a decision regarding renting a satellite, launching a satellite with Singapore Telecom or launching one with a new partner before March, Chunghwa Telecom spokesman Lin Jen-hung said.

Chunghwa Telecom and Singapore Telecom jointly launched the ST-1 telecommunications satellite in 1998 with a lifespan until the year 2011.

--DPA 2007-01-05

Check your connection to thaivisa server here:

http://speedtest.thaivisa.com and tell us your results!

Thaivisa speed test: Down load 658 kbps

Up load: 168 kbps. Not as good as it should be,but getting better by the day.

Last Result:

Download Speed: 154 kbps (19.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 60 kbps (7.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Supposed to be 1 gig Pattaya Tot goldcyber shared router

At times grinds totally to a halt!

Results of test at

http://free-web-speed-test.com/bwtest/resu...&recorded=1

Your current bandwidth reading is: 40.80kbps

which means you can download at 5.1 KB/sec. from our servers.

28.8 kbps dial-up

33.6 kbps dial-up

40.8 kbps YOU

53.3 kbps dial-up

56 kbps ISDN

128 kbps ISDN

384 kbps DSL

768 kbps DSL

1000 kbps DSL

1500 kbps DSL/T1/Cable Modem

Similar to old dial up

Mai dee lehee!

Last Result:

Download Speed: 154 kbps (19.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 60 kbps (7.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Supposed to be 1 gig Pattaya Tot goldcyber shared router

At times grinds totally to a halt!

Results of test at

http://free-web-speed-test.com/bwtest/resu...&recorded=1

28.8 kbps dial-up

33.6 kbps dial-up

40.8 kbps YOU

53.3 kbps dial-up

56 kbps ISDN

128 kbps ISDN

384 kbps DSL

768 kbps DSL

1000 kbps DSL

1500 kbps DSL/T1/Cable Modem

Similar to old dial up

Mai dee lehee!

28.8 kbpsdial-up1.gif33.6 kbpsdial-up1.gif40.8 kbpsYOUyou.gif53.3 kbpsdial-up1.gif56 kbpsISDN2.gif128 kbpsISDN2.gif384 kbpsDSL3.gif768 kbpsDSL3.gif1000 kbpsDSL4.gif1500 kbpsDSL/T1/Cable Modem5.gif

I am in the Pattaya area (Beach Rd Soi 1) and am experiencing many problems accessing sites. Mainly international sites. Error; site not found. This started occurring around 10pm last night (5/01/07). I am connecting through TP-Link at 54.0Mbps. :o

For My part i hope they take their time with the repairs. My connection was never better as it is now in the moment.

Unbelivable and that with ToT in Phuket :o:D :D :D :D :bah: :bah: :o

Thanks for making me laughing, because other than that this thread is the most boring I've ever seen. What does it help anybody or of what interest is it to anybody if Jhon and Jim and Fred and Lizzy and Dizzy publish their internet speeds? We know there are cables damaged, we know they will be fixed, we know that causes some problems - so what? That's how life is, just live with it.

:o Speakeasy Nonthaburi to Chicago:

Last Result:

Download Speed: 46 kbps (5.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 102 kbps (12.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Figure that one out... Anybody have any ideas or solutions that can help? My business will be crap in another 3 weeks...

Hi,

Here in Jomtien using CAT telecom on 2mbit connection:

results are:

Download Speed: 1633 kbps (204.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 547 kbps (68.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

results are not as bad as they have been this past week, trying to read emails, etc was a nightmare with at least 10 minutes between connections and actualy getting thte email open.

Falcon

Edited by Falcon