What is this 3BB wifi signal I'm picking up?

finy

2 hours ago, finy said:

Thanks!

it looks like you would connect then open up browser to log in. Any idea why mine is secured and asks for a wifi password before connecting?

Probably because it is not public 3BB wifi?

Perhaps somebody is making fun, or thinking it is fun to rename their wifi name to 3BB?

18 hours ago, muratremix said:

Probably because it is not public 3BB wifi?

Perhaps somebody is making fun, or thinking it is fun to rename their wifi name to 3BB?

I recently stopped by the local 3bb office to upgrade my service, which included a new router. They set it up for me, and when I got home I found they had changed the name of my network from "my name" to "3bb-my name". Maybe they are trying to get free advertisement by adding 3bb to the users network name.

I think some people, who are broadband customers, re-name their home WiFi networks with the name of the broadband provider, or this may be a default setting on some ISP's routers?

I see quite a few nearby WiFi networks with names like "AISFibre2_4G", TOThome, etc.

I think

@ 3BB-WiFi

may be the default, public WiFI service identifier?

On 8/30/2017 at 8:49 AM, finy said:

Thanks!

it looks like you would connect then open up browser to log in. Any idea why mine is secured and asks for a wifi password before connecting?

Common for paid Wifi to work that way....it allows you to make the basic connection to the Wifi and then a webpage appears where you enter your logon credentials.  LOTs of Wifi signals out there which work that way like when you go into a major mall and look at the possible Wifi signals to hook to from 3BB, AIS, DTAC, etc....etc....etc.

On 8/31/2017 at 10:24 AM, Pib said:

Common for paid Wifi to work that way....it allows you to make the basic connection to the Wifi and then a webpage appears where you enter your logon credentials.  LOTs of Wifi signals out there which work that way like when you go into a major mall and look at the possible Wifi signals to hook to from 3BB, AIS, DTAC, etc....etc....etc.

Yes, but that's NOT what the OP is able to do. The basic access to the 3bb wi-fi as it appears in wi-fi networks is secured and needs a password before that can connect. Regular public 3bb wi-fi is not secured this way. Normally you can connect to their wi-fi and then launch a web browser to enter log-in credentials. As said earlier. someone is acting the goat.