Lost in Translation: Thailand offers course for women who marry foreigners

snoop1130

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These training courses I assume will be carried out by the Thai Department of Agriculture and come under the heading of "Advancements in Issan farming techniques".

Why break your back harvesting rice when you can sit back and harvest farangs.

On 30/08/2017 at 1:20 PM, snoop1130 said:

2017-08-30T085537Z_2_LYNXNPED7T0KD_RTROPTP_4_THAILAND-MARRIAGE.JPG

German Ralf Wacker and his wife Ploynisa Duangdararungrueng pose for photo with their dogs at a park near their house in Ayutthaya province, Thailand, August 22, 2017. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

For a start, the women can be taught whether it is socially acceptable to have dogs on picnic tables in a public park in their destination country (see photo in the OP)

It's not really that hard, except if we overthink it. The falang gives the Thai woman everything she wants. She will give the falang everything he wants in return.

The trick is to find a Thai woman who is reasonable in what she wants.

Far too often, "respect the culture" translates as "lie down and let my culture steamroller you and pick your pocket". Culture respect does not run both ways in Thailand, The buffalo needs new roller skates that cost 200 thousand baht, farang must pay. Mama's leg needs amputating for the third time. Isaan is a black hole where your money disappears.

12 hours ago, Chip Allen said:

Far too often, "respect the culture" translates as "lie down and let my culture steamroller you and pick your pocket". Culture respect does not run both ways in Thailand, The buffalo needs new roller skates that cost 200 thousand baht, farang must pay. Mama's leg needs amputating for the third time. Isaan is a black hole where your money disappears.

And even after the billions they sucked over the years... still have nothing in the end

A combined disinfectant spray along with a final brain-washing procedure before departure from the cultural cocoon?

I hope the bureaucrats don't have too big a hand in the philosophies driving the project; cross-cultural partnerships face extra pressures from all sides. 

Participants should be wary of opinions that help set-up divisiveness or mistrust (death to unity).

Open, honest and respectful discussion can achieve better understanding and strengthening bonds. Basics for any marriage's prospects.

The less direct imposition of cultural 'fractures' the better.

On 9/2/2017 at 2:56 PM, JohnLick said:

And even after the billions they sucked over the years... still have nothing in the end

How true, that's why they are begging when they realize the Falang has done the bolt

Because they've probably hoked everything for the family

On 8/30/2017 at 6:20 PM, snoop1130 said:

"Thai women, especially those from the northeast region, are soft-spoken and submissive," she said.

LOL> That was the quote of the day. Any foreigner who believes that is in for a rude awakening.

On 8/31/2017 at 0:15 AM, connda said:

When my father married my stepmother, both my sister and I thought in exactly the same manner - "This is his wife who he committed to take care of during life and after he passed away."
I expect nothing from my father at the time of his death.  My father helped me immensely throughout my life and I am to this day grateful.  I established my own life, so why would I not want his estate to go to his wife, my stepmother.  She made him an exceedingly happy man until the day he died.  
So, the question really is: "Who exactly are the greedy individuals in your story?  His wife of 37 years?"  I feel sorry for those siblings who feel entitled to the estates of their parents.  Only if you took care of your dying parents in the last years of their lives, and after both have passed away, sure.  Maybe.

Yes, you are right questioning who the truly greedy were, but let me stress that I knew I would never see a dime from him and I was (and still am) O.K. with that.  In my case, my money is mine, I made it the old fashioned way.  But truth be told, my father dumped us at the side of the road when he left our family some years before he met and married his new wife.  But that is O.K. too because we all managed to make our own way and I was happy he had someone.  By the time he died he was paying phone bills for half a dozen phones for four different people, supplying the money for her expensive pharmaceuticals, all the groceries, all the insurance, all the utilities, &c, because he was the only one with an income.  His new wife pretty much sucked him dry.  But one makes the bed they sleep in.  No, no, we are and were not greedy.  I was only making light of this woman's cleverness and foresight.  She got more out of him than my mother did after they had been married only twenty years.  Believe me, my father and his new bride were perfect for each other.  He refused to provide for his own family but gave freely to her and her children and she accepted every last penny.

Edited by billmichael
Added one more thought.