New Tyres

Valentine

Sure Motors on Chao Fa East in Phuket are offering buy 3 get 1 free. Considering it for my pickup which currently has Bridgestone Dueler HT. The promo is for BF Goodrich which I have never used before but would save me 3,300 Baht on 4 tyres compared to buying Bridgestone. However I am unsure of the quality & safety of BF. Anyone have experience of either or both? Thx.

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Check manufacture date on the sidewalls...Just my suspicious mind...sun.gif.9374909b9c3547ce4c282e09c370bf61.gif

I only recently found out about this. Vehicle bought in 2013 & recently someone pointed out tyres made in 2012 but have done 100,000 km in 4 1/2 years.

19 minutes ago, Valentine said:

I only recently found out about this. Vehicle bought in 2013 & recently someone pointed out tyres made in 2012 but have done 100,000 km in 4 1/2 years.

That's fine, and no problem, I am talking about "special offers", bought up old stock for instance..

2 hours ago, JoeW said:

True. Sometimes a good deal is just too good.

Some dealers will tell you the special deal is because the tires are a little old. The nvyangyont website does this. 

I would have thought that a year old new tire should still be in perfect condition as long as it has not been exposed to direct light and heat. My michelin ps3 were 6 months old at purchase but they are still fine on the car after 4 years (not driven so much). I will be checking the date more carefully at my next purchase. Busy dealers should have fresher stock. 

7 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Anything new will be better than the Deulers. They turn to rock after a couple of years and offer poor grip.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

Have never liked Bridgestone tires. A hangover from early biking days when Japanese bikes came with them fitted as standard. Their compounds still seem to be more suited to use on 18 wheelers and sometimes I wonder how many tires they would sell, if they didn't come fitted as standard OEM.

They came as standard on 2 of my vehicles and were immediately changed to Dunlop.

Never used BF Goodrich, but if I could only choose between the two, they would be my choice.

Jerry

10 hours ago, DavisH said:

Some dealers will tell you the special deal is because the tires are a little old. The nvyangyont website does this. 

I would have thought that a year old new tire should still be in perfect condition as long as it has not been exposed to direct light and heat. My michelin ps3 were 6 months old at purchase but they are still fine on the car after 4 years (not driven so much). I will be checking the date more carefully at my next purchase. Busy dealers should have fresher stock. 

Michelin say their rubber is OK for 3 years on the shelf, dunno about others...

On 9/2/2017 at 8:37 AM, transam said:

Michelin say their rubber is OK for 3 years on the shelf, dunno about others...

So far I have 4 1/2 years with 100,000km on the clock with the original Bridgstones plus they were dated 2012 when pickup bought in 2013.

1 hour ago, transam said:

I had Mich tyres on my ride for 7 years...:stoner:

Mich always good for miles/kilos Bridges on my Vigo were slicks in 4 years. :biggrin:

Always like Bridges on bikes but pricey here Dunlop were almost half the price.

Had some Taiwan tyres on the Yaris in 2015 no problem at all,  you dunno what anythings like until you try em out if you ask me, 2600 baht each made 2014 one - directional tyres just sold it. 

Got 2 Continental tyres on the City 2,300 baht each made 2016.

Edited by Kwasaki

2 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

I know. 2 years is almost up and the Duellers will now start turning to rock.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

It's not they are getting harder. They've lost half their rubber already.

That's why new tires, any new tires make your vehicle ride just like a newly bought one.

I remember being taught that the tire is the first bit of your vehicles shock absorption.

Edited by NanLaew

20 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Not doing 5k km a year they won't.

Maybe using them keeps them supple? Tires go hard sitting unused on a hot shelf as well. Be interesting to know if Bridgestones do get harder than most other rubbers. They've all I have driven on in my back-to-back Ranger ownerships doing a regular 35,000 km/year mileage so I reckon I wear them out before they get too hard.

Maybe using them keeps them supple? Tires go hard sitting unused on a hot shelf as well. Be interesting to know if Bridgestones do get harder than most other rubbers. They've all I have driven on in my back-to-back Ranger ownerships doing a regular 35,000 km/year mileage so I reckon I wear them out before they get too hard.
I had about 20k km on a 4 year old set and changed them to a new set of Michelins. The improvement was incredible. Grip was miles better and it stopped squealing doing slow, sharp turns.

9 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Duelers don't get good reviews and l mentioned it to Isuzu as the new truck came with them.

They said Oh no these are the new latest Bridgestone style. :biggrin:

Personally I didn't notice any difference with Bridgestone Duelers going hard over 4 years at low kilos on a Vigo they just wore out quickly, that obviously means there soft, good as any IMO with the correct tyre pressure.

F1 Firestone tyres crack up on side walls after 4 years.

Michelin grip, grip & grip and just break quickly no warning l have found.

Would like to have a drive on all tyre makes and styles,  l guess would take a very long time.