Options For High Speed Internet Pattaya?

PadThaiGuy

A friend lives outside Pattaya and has slow modem connection. Says ADSL isn't available in that area..

Interested in high speed connection. Any advice on how to go?

usually they will recommend IPSTAR. This service has some major disadvantages:

- traffic limit ~ 5GB than your bandwidth will be cut 50 % till the end o the month

- dish size; you get a 80 cm dish - for good rates go for 2,40 m ( i am sure some users from north east .th will concur - be aware if you see a cloud in the sky :o )

Outside Pattaya? this area has widely 4mbit adsl and also fiber optic cables avail...... bang saray has tt&t with 2560/500 on a 2mbit contract

where the hack is your mate living ?

a true non shared sat connection 2mbit / duplex / unlimited traffic will hit you with 19800 THB monthly (no thai ISP)

so go for a land line if possible.

IMO - the isp says they can't (mean they don't like to do it) Go to the next electric shack buy up to 4,7 km GOOD and cable wire it ... and let them hook up the dslam =)

Hope it was helpful...

Greetings

Jake

You did not say where "outside" Pattaya your mate lives,,,,,,,,,,,but I know Hutch offers their CDMA EVDO at up to 800 kbps in the Pattaya area,,,,,,,,,,maybe it would work in your mate's area,,,,,,,,,

On another note,,,,,,,,,,,,,,a friend of mine started a rumor yesterday,,,,,,,,,,,,,and understand this is rumor only as I could not confirm anything,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but he claims that True Visions/ UBC is offering some sort of high speed internet service here in Pattaya for 1200 a month,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I am not trying to perpetuate this rumor,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I looked high and low for info about True/UBC internet and I cannot find any info that they even have internet service anywhere,,,,,,,,,,,

So if anyone knows more on this please enlighten me

You did not say where "outside" Pattaya your mate lives,,,,,,,,,,,but I know Hutch offers their CDMA EVDO at up to 800 kbps in the Pattaya area,,,,,,,,,,maybe it would work in your mate's area,,,,,,,,,

On another note,,,,,,,,,,,,,,a friend of mine started a rumor yesterday,,,,,,,,,,,,,and understand this is rumor only as I could not confirm anything,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but he claims that True Visions/ UBC is offering some sort of high speed internet service here in Pattaya for 1200 a month,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I am not trying to perpetuate this rumor,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I looked high and low for info about True/UBC internet and I cannot find any info that they even have internet service anywhere,,,,,,,,,,,

The service is provided by TRUE. They sell it also from BTV as supernet ..... (at least on the dark side)

see also: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=170651

Installation fee BTV: Modem 5000, install 2000, monthly ~1200 THB

Basically it is Cable Broadband (SHARDED BANDWITH!)

The service is provided by TRUE. They sell it also from BTV as supernet ..... (at least on the dark side)

This service has no affiliation with True whatsoever!

This project was originally started by Banglamung TV (BTV) but the internet part is now separate and called supernet.

It is a reasonably amateurish set up, in as much that you (or your cable modem) do not get a public IP address, but a private one.

Supernet simply has several CAT Hinet packages, of which the routers are located at their office (1 hinet package =1 public IP address).

From there on they distribute it on BTV coax cabling..

So it works for surfing and e-mailing, FTP etc, but once you need to accept incoming traffic, forget it. You do not have a public IP address (the public IP address visible on the internet is shared between maybe 20 supernet customers), and as you do not have access to the routers, forget about port forwarding!

They already registered an URL, but website is still inactive at this day!

www.supernet.co.th

Domain: SUPERNET.CO.TH

ACE: SUPERNET.CO.TH

Registrar: T.H.NIC Co., Ltd.

Name Server: NS2.MAIL.IN.TH

Updated Date: 30 Jan 2008

Created Date: 30 Jan 2008

Renew Date: 30 Jan 2008

Exp Date: 29 Jan 2009

Web Descr:

Company: Super High Speed Internet Co., Ltd. (ºÃÔÉÑ· «Ø»à»ÍÃì äÎʻմ ÍÔ¹à·ÍÃìà¹çµ ¨Ó¡Ñ´)

Address: 46/20 Moo 4 Huayai, Banglamung Chonburi

Zip Code: 20150

This service has no affiliation with True whatsoever!

This project was originally started by Banglamung TV (BTV) but the internet part is now separate and called supernet.

It is a reasonably amateurish set up, in as much that you (or your cable modem) do not get a public IP address, but a private one.

Supernet simply has several CAT Hinet packages, of which the routers are located at their office (1 hinet package =1 public IP address).

From there on they distribute it on BTV coax cabling..

So it works for surfing and e-mailing, FTP etc, but once you need to accept incoming traffic, forget it. You do not have a public IP address (the public IP address visible on the internet is shared between maybe 20 supernet customers), and as you do not have access to the routers, forget about port forwarding!

They already registered an URL, but website is still inactive at this day!

www.supernet.co.th

Domain: SUPERNET.CO.TH

ACE: SUPERNET.CO.TH

Registrar: T.H.NIC Co., Ltd.

Name Server: NS2.MAIL.IN.TH

Updated Date: 30 Jan 2008

Created Date: 30 Jan 2008

Renew Date: 30 Jan 2008

Exp Date: 29 Jan 2009

Web Descr:

Company: Super High Speed Internet Co., Ltd. (ºÃÔÉÑ· «Ø»à»ÍÃì äÎʻմ ÍÔ¹à·ÍÃìà¹çµ ¨Ó¡Ñ´)

Address: 46/20 Moo 4 Huayai, Banglamung Chonburi

Zip Code: 20150

Thanks for the info.

They do the same with a service called HELLOWIFI on various locations around pattya

Just got a leaflet drop today from Super-Net offering ADSL speed 1024Kbps for 1000 baht per month for one pc plus 5000 for modem and 2000 for installation, they give their website as www.supernet.co.th, when I entered this google came up with supanet see thaivisa forum topic etc ! lol