Bank Accounts/mailboxes

I am planning to visit Thailand for a month and plan to live there eventually.I would like to first open a bank account and was wondering if there are Mailboxes,Etc or UPS Stores there and if I could use it as my address to open an account.I sell on Ebay and online so will be using the box for business as well.I will eventually get a residence later this year.What would be the best way to transfer my dollars to the bank?Also how much would it cost to ship personal/household items from Boston to Bangkok-my possessions would be about the size of a large closet in total.

Although the financial sector has become more strict (eg. many banks will refuse the opening of an account with a work permit), it is still possible to open a simple savings account with a reasonable deposit and your passport; Bangkok Bank seems still to be open to this and your local accomadation address will suffice.

Rental mail boxes (UPS MBE etc.) are available at numerous locations (BiG C superstores, BTS Stations etc.) and can be rented for various time periods (1,3,6,12 months etc.) with your passport. As i remember a 3 month rental cost approx $30.

Should you wish to transfer large amounts, then wire transfer is the way to go as you'll get the best rate. However, ATMS, and Forex outlets for cash withdrawls on credit cards are availabe everywhere, so it may be unnecessary for you to transefer large amounts of dollars, especially with such a poor rate at present. I'd keep my money offshore and draw on it (via ATM) as and when needed.

As for shipping costs, you'd be far better off contacting a local freight forwarding agent in Boston to get exact current prices (don't forget insurance) and details of any custom rules or regulations this end.......but again, i would not bother as everything you will need is here. The cost that you may decide to incur for shipping your possessions, you could use yourself to buy what you need when you are here!

Something to think about.

Best of luck..

Kir

Edited by kir

I am planning to visit Thailand for a month and plan to live there eventually.I would like to first open a bank account and was wondering if there are Mailboxes,Etc or UPS Stores there and if I could use it as my address to open an account.I sell on Ebay and online so will be using the box for business as well.I will eventually get a residence later this year.What would be the best way to transfer my dollars to the bank?Also how much would it cost to ship personal/household items from Boston to Bangkok-my possessions would be about the size of a large closet in total.

I have had two mailboxes in thailand - one private and one with the post office - and in both cases, the post stopped getting through after a week, because some one was opening up the mail. Do not send valuables to mailboxes ! I've had several residential addresses and had no problems. Also, i doubt you can have a mailbox address to open your bank account.