Visa And Customs Regulations

Hi everyone,

Even I did ask questions about visa and Custom regulations before, there are a few things, I would like to have clarified even more before moving to Thailand:

1: I will have a non immigrant " O " visa (married to a thai) when entering Thailand. Can I get an extension based only on having money in the bank, no income ? - (Will be living of my savings, since I don´t know at this time, if I can get a job)

2: When having a non imm "O" you have to go out every 3 months or report to immigration respectively. Is it possible to report by mail ?

3: The yearly extension of the non imm "O", do I have to go to Immigration in Bangkok for that ?

4: I am planning to import my personal belongings based on having that non imm"O" . Does anyone on this forum have experience in doing that ?

5: Does anyone know how to contact Thai Customs ? (E-mail address)

Well, this is what comes to my mind right now, maybe some more questions will pop up along the way.

North :o

1. Yes but those savings will be your income when they ask.

2. No. You must leave Thailand and return on a multi entry visa - you do not have the option to report to immigration. Only if you have an extension of stay do you not have to leave every 90 days and only have to report address to immigration.

3. Extension of stay paperwork may be submitted at any full immigration office but decisions are made in Bangkok so extra copy will be required of everything.

4. Customs web site does not appear to allow such import anymore but have not seen any firm word yet. I would not recommend in any case.

5. This is Web Site

Be aware email may not be good method of communications in Thailand if you want a response.

1.  Yes but those savings will be your income when they ask.

2.  No.  You must leave Thailand and return on a multi entry visa - you do not have the option to report to immigration.  Only if you have an extension of stay do you not have to leave every 90 days and only have to report address to immigration.

3.  Extension of stay paperwork may be submitted at any full immigration office but decisions are made in Bangkok so extra copy will be required of everything.

4.  Customs web site does not appear to allow such import anymore but have not seen any firm word yet.  I would not recommend in any case.

5.  This is Web Site

Be aware email may not be good method of communications in Thailand if you want a response.

Regarding 1: I did ask that question before. And you answered it ok, but then you added: " Be aware you may be asked to provide some details of income source even if money is in the bank. "

And this is where I get uncertain about it, because there will be no other income in near future( I am still planning on a " worst case scenario" where I don´t succeed in having a regular job, this is the way I like it)

Regarding 2: After looking in the other topic I started I did find your answer to that, and that is probably the best way to do it:

" You could just obtain a single entry O visa and transfer money/extend after you are hear 60 days and the cost of extension is 1,900 baht each year. If you travel outside of Thailand you have to add re entry permit at 1,000 baht each trip or 3,800 for a full year. "

Regarding 3: Are there any full immigration offices in or near Khon Kaen ?

Regarding 4: When I look at the Customs Web Site, I can see the text in red, which seems to tell, that a non imm "O" cannot qualify for free import.

But: If i split up the text, it seems to be different:

1: Nonresidents who wish to retire in Thailand are not qualified.

2: Nonresidens who accompany spouses of thai residents are not qualified.

But I am neither of the two, I am spouse of a thai resident

Would you agree to my interpretation of the text ?

Regarding 5: I did try to post questions using their "form" on that web site, but so far I did not get an answer. and somehow I really don´t expect they will give an answer.

1. My answer remans the same - you will be asked annual income - that is why I say your savings (what you expect to receive each year from them) should be indicated when asked.

3. Udorn part time and Nong Khai full time.

4. I would want the decision direct from Customs as in my quick read do not see any category that would allow duty free import without a work permit if you are not a returning national. As a number of those obtaining long stay retirement type visas seem to be planning shipment expect we will have feedback on there experience.

Duty free import is available to any holder of either an O-A visa, or an extended O visa, or a B with a work permit and extended visa. This guy is married to a Thai so she may well be the best one to import goods as a Thai citizen returning to the Kingdom to live.

Duty free import is available to any holder of either an O-A visa, or an extended O visa,

Doc - great if you're right (I really hope so), but this is what is now appearing on the Customs website - and it is in red on there:

Note : Nonresidents entering into the Kingdom with a non-immigrant visa "code O" who wish to retire in Thailand or accompany spouses of Thai residents are not qualified for (1)

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/House...old#requirement

Item one talks of a one year permission to stay. I'll enquire.  Again  T i T rules seem to apply.

Appreciated, Doc. I agree the wording is unclear (nothing new there, then :o ). BTW, I'm fairly sure that the wording of the (red) note has changed since I first saw it a few days ago.............. so it does seem to be a bit volatile at the moment.

Duty free import is available to any holder of either an O-A visa, or an extended O visa, or a B with a work permit and extended visa. This guy is married to a Thai so she may well be the best one to import goods as a Thai citizen returning to the Kingdom to live.

Yes, I am married to a thai, but she is living in Thailand, so I will be the one to make the import.

Item one talks of a one year permission to stay. I'll enquire.  Again  T i T rules seem to apply.

Appreciated, Doc. I agree the wording is unclear (nothing new there, then :D ). BTW, I'm fairly sure that the wording of the (red) note has changed since I first saw it a few days ago.............. so it does seem to be a bit volatile at the moment.

Hi Steve,

I am quite sure, that the red note has not changed, since I first saw it some 10 days ago, and as I have pointed out in a previous post, I think I will be qualified to import, that is if my interpretation is correct !

"

"

But the best would be to make an inquiry, and if i understand Doc correct, he will make the inquiry ?

Appreciated, Doc. I agree the wording is unclear (nothing new there, then :D ). BTW, I'm fairly sure that the wording of the (red) note has changed since I first saw it a few days ago.............. so it does seem to be a bit volatile at the moment.

Hi Steve,

I am quite sure, that the red note has not changed, since I first saw it some 10 days ago, and as I have pointed out in a previous post, I think I will be qualified to import, that is if my interpretation is correct !

"

"

But the best would be to make an inquiry, and if i understand Doc correct, he will make the inquiry ?

North :D

Hi North,

Yes - I see that the text of the note is the same (my memory got mixed up). :o

About the meaning of the text, maybe the "spouses of Thai residents" is a misprint and should be "spouses or Thai residents" - or it's just a confused translation...... we don't know yet.

And, yes, Doc said he will try to find out.

Some insight to #4...

The freight forwardnig company that I used in the US relied on a forwarder in Bangkok to handle the importation of personal goods. The company in BKK, MacNels, did everything within its power to extract money form my wallet, falsely claiming that I owed several hundred dollars in import duties...even before the goods had been inspected by Thai Customs (note: I had entered Thailand on a visitor's visa, converted it to a non-imm "O" retirement visa - based on an account deposit of B800,000). I visited TPT ("Thai Prosperity Terminal") and found all of my belongings unboxed, and placed on the covered tarmac. Despite my belief that I could import personal and household goods within 6 months of obtaining a retirment visa, the Customs inspector told me that I could not. We went from one pile of stuff, to another, with him noting what was "new" and what was "used". I hate to digress, but the official website claims that "used" goods can enter duty free, and the definition of "new" was goods that are over 6 months old. Of course, the definition SHOULD be "goods LESS than six months old...I had a lot of clothing that appeared to be new, and I was asked if I could prove they were more than 6 months old. I searched the pocket of one suit, and found a ticket for an Apple Computer holiday party that was held in November, 2004 - 8 months earlier. Based on that simgle piece of evidence, the inspector decided that everything was "used". In summary, the Customs inspector allowed me to claim all of my goods without paying any duty.

Hi all,

Thank you so far for your opinions.

But with a topic that comprehensive it would be nice to have even more posts.

So, come out of the bush and tell us a little about your experiences importing your personal belongings. :o

Duty free import is available to any holder of either an O-A visa, or an extended O visa,

Doc - great if you're right (I really hope so), but this is what is now appearing on the Customs website - and it is in red on there:

Note : Nonresidents entering into the Kingdom with a non-immigrant visa "code O" who wish to retire in Thailand or accompany spouses of Thai residents are not qualified for (1)

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/House...old#requirement

We still did not get an answer about how to interpret the text in red written on the Thai Customs website concerning the duty free import of personal belongings.

I am quite sure a lot of people would like to know more exactly about how to import personal belongings.

So I wonder, if someone living in Bangkok, who might have a business with Customs anyway would ask about how this text in red should be understood.

If I were in Bangkok, I would go there myself, but for the time being I am in the cold cold Denmark. ( :o What a summer until now, 12-14 degrees in the daytime)

I am currently in a similar boat - moving to Thailand on non-immigrant "O" visa - no work permit - as no work to be done in Thailand. Seems that for some reason things are getting more and more difficult to get done without a work permit – bank accounts, True internet, customs, etc. I find this especially interesting considering the number of retirees living in LOS and that there is typically no exception/consideration given for them either.

I will be having a moving company ship my goods. At this time I have two of them following up on this point - customs and non-immigrant "O" visa without work permit. I was surprised that neither of them knew customs status without checking into it. Basic reply I have at this time is that it will probably depend upon the customs officer that clears my goods – looks like I need to stuff the pockets with old receipts?

What about you folks out there that have retired to Thailand – what situation did you find yourselves in regard to customs?

• 2 weeks later...
This guy is married to a Thai so she may well be the best one to import goods as a Thai citizen returning to the Kingdom to live.

Piggybacking (again!) on this one. I, too, am married to a Thai national. However, we've been married for over 30 years, and lived in the U.S. for most of that time. So I will plan on sending everything we want to ship to Thailand in her name. Therein lies the question. Which name? When we move, should she obtain here Thai ID card using my surname, or her "maiden" Thai surname? Is there an advantage/disadvantage in either?

Also, I'd like to hear from any of you who have done this, i.e., had personal goods shipped to Thailand in your Thai wife's name. What was your experience with regard to Customs inspection and duty charges?

Edited by patsfangr

I am currently in a similar boat - moving to Thailand on non-immigrant "O" visa - no work permit - as no work to be done in Thailand.  Seems that for some reason things are getting more and more difficult to get done without a work permit – bank accounts, True internet, customs, etc.  I find this especially interesting considering the number of retirees living in LOS and that there is typically no exception/consideration given for them either.

I will be having a moving company ship my goods.  At this time I have two of them following up on this point - customs and non-immigrant "O" visa without work permit.  I was surprised that neither of them knew customs status without checking into it.  Basic reply I have at this time is that it will probably depend upon the customs officer that clears my goods – looks like I need to stuff the pockets with old receipts?

What about you folks out there that have retired to Thailand – what situation did you find yourselves in regard to customs?

TT, let me add that, in my very limited experience with Thai Customs, all of it as a visitor thus far, it seems to me that it always varies according to the officer you deal with. As an example, I've entered Thailand as a visitor about a dozen times, always at Don Muang. Never, in all of those entries, has my baggage been inspected. However, my last visit was in 1997, and I don't know if Thailand has tightened up, as much of the world has, since Sept 11, 2001. Comments?

All the companies I have spoken to on this end formally indicate that I will have to pay customs. But unofficially they say it really depends upon the situation at the time my goods arrive. So I will role the dice and see how much I get stuck with in customs fees/ duties.

patsfangr – you should send your goods in your wife’s name at the time she goes to Thailand. But I am not sure if it makes any difference what family name she uses. And Thai customs at the airport is a completely different bag when compared to the customs for shipments. I think everyone would agree (except maybe that bloke you tried to bring in 50 cartons of cigs) that customs at the airport is not very stringent. Not saying customs at the port for the shipment will be much more stringent - but there is at least paperwork that needs to be processed. And someone will have to appove that - different than just walking thru the nothing to declare line.

Hi all,

Since I started this topic, I have been investigating, how I can import my personal belongings. I have contact to two transport companies, one of them say, I don´t have the right to make this tax-and duty free import, the other company says, that if the shipment enters into a certain port in Thailand, they can arrange the import for me.

I also did ask the question to Thai Customs on their website, and, to my surprise, they have answered me. :o

But the answer was useless however, giving me a link to their website and telling me to read more there.

what I need is an interpretation of the text on their website !

If I find out something more, I will post it here.

Edited by North

All the companies I have spoken to on this end formally indicate that I will have to pay customs.  But unofficially they say it really depends upon the situation at the time my goods arrive.  So I will role the dice and see how much I get stuck with in customs fees/ duties.

patsfangr – you should send your goods in your wife’s name at the time she goes to Thailand.  But I am not sure if it makes any difference what family name she uses.  And Thai customs at the airport is a completely different bag when compared to the customs for shipments.  I think everyone would agree (except maybe that bloke you tried to bring in 50 cartons of cigs) that customs at the airport is not very stringent.  Not saying customs at the port for the shipment will be much more stringent - but there is at least paperwork that needs to be processed.  And someone will have to appove that - different than just walking thru the nothing to declare line.

And, with regard to the shipment's arrival, I believe that we will have a "door-to-door" option with some carriers. Is that true? Or will we have to complete all of the Customs paperwork at the Bangkok port of entry? I'm assuming a container by sea shipment here of some furniture, clothing, and other personal belongings, including, hopefully, many video tapes. This was what we did when we moved to Shanghai for my 15 month stay there. It took over a month to arrive, and we did have to sign for it at the P.O.E. Then it was delivered to our apartment there.

George

And, with regard to the shipment's arrival, I believe that we will have a "door-to-door" option with some carriers. Is that true? Or will we have to complete all of the Customs paperwork at the Bangkok port of entry? I'm assuming a container by sea shipment here of some furniture, clothing, and other personal belongings, including, hopefully, many video tapes. This was what we did when we moved to Shanghai for my 15 month stay there. It took over a month to arrive, and we did have to sign for it at the P.O.E. Then it was delivered to our apartment there.

George

Yes you can get door-to-door with many shippers. You have to be physically present in Thailand when the shipment arrives – but not at the dock (depending on the shipper).

George

Yes you can get door-to-door with many shippers. You have to be physically present in Thailand when the shipment arrives – but not at the dock (depending on the shipper).

Has anybody got any specific recommendations on a reliable, honest, door-to-door carrier doing business from the USA? - George