Anybody Flown Etihad?

mindblend

I haven't, but have seen soom of the low prices you mean.

They're a middle eastern airline, so I reckon they'll prob not have money worries.

Maybe that means new aircraft too?

I've flown with Emirates and Qatar, both pretty good. Although Qatar had no 747's and this made for fairly cramped flying. I'm 6'2".

My only other concern is, the middle eastern mans regard for western women. My GF now refuses point blank to fly any airline from that region, because of some pretty out of order rudeness. (this annoys me too as there's no need for it, and I'm not one for holding my tongue. Because of the alltitude and, others passengers I have to, Thats <deleted> for 15 hrs)

Depends what you're looking for though. I recenty found the perfect flight for us, with e-bookers. Manchester to Singapore, and return 1 month later Bangkok to Manchester for £520, with Singapore Airlines too.

redrus

Edited by redrus

All the people I have known to fly have praised it to the highest.

Completely different level of operation of say Kuwait-Gulf-Jordanian..etc. :o

The 3 new outfits from the Middle East -Etti-Emirates and Qatar Air all seem to be doing well and if it wasnt for the hangups over the arab/nutters/freekshow situation would do even better.

Completely different level of operation from say Kuwait-Gulf-Jordanian..etc. :D

If only they joined Star Alliance I would be banging on their door... :D

anyway heres a couple of recent comments from Skytrax --abbridged a bit....

Etihad Airways - by David B...30 November 2005

Gatwick - Abu Dhabi return.

Outbound about 60% full, excellent service. Return, only 26 passengers in economy, excellent flight and service again. Both flights on time. Friendly and helpful staff.

Etihad Airways - by Simon O.21 November 2005

LHR - Abu Dhabi. Booked the flights because of the value for money - having flown with them I can say they compare well with Emirates.

The plane was the old Airbus and only two thirds full - staff and food were impeccable. The IFE is looking a bit old.

That aside, the return flight at 1330hrs was a link up flight with lots of very tired passengers from Sri Lanka and as a result the flight was full - but cabin staff provided excellent service and food. I can't fault Etihad on service (especially on price) and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Etihad Airways - by Royston T.18 November 2005

Gatwick to Abu Dhabi return in Pearl Class, we have used Etihad 3 times this year on the same route, and it can be a lottery as to the service and comfort of seat you get.

As a rule staff are well presented and friendly and if called during the flight, attend to you within seconds. The food choice /quality is good although the same menu has been in place since February - so is getting a little boring. Also being offered a 3 course meal at 3am in the morning is not ideal and unfortunately the quality of breakfast served an hour before landing is very poor, it would make much more sense to serve a light option on take off and a more hearty breakfast.

The transfer service from Abu Dhabi when flying Pearl class is faultless, and we have never waited any longer than 5 mins for our luggage - therefore from departing the plane, clearing customs and collecting luggage we are normally on our way within 30 mins.

The new Business lounge at Abu Dhabi for Etihad passengers use is great - good seating and a wide choice of food and drink which can either be waiter served or by helping yourself. The lottery with the plane type and the allocated seating is probably the most annoying aspect of using Etihad. Up until November they have been using leased planes that quite frankly are tired, however if you are lucky and we have been once their new A330 is a pleasure to be in.

Mood lighting a fantastic IFE system and comfortable seats.

We have had constant problems when trying to pre-allocate seats being given seat numbers that don't exist or being allocated seats in Diamond Class and then at check in being told dismissively that we have got the seat numbers wrong as we are ticketed for Pearl.

Although this has proved annoying, because the planes are hardly ever more than 50% full its never been a problem - once on board and we change seats to suit ourselves normally enjoying 2 seats each. However on our last return flight, when checking in we were once again told our allocated seat numbers didn't exist and that we had been assigned seats right at the back of the small rear cabin of Pearl Class - ie closest to Economy. We complained but were advised the flight was 100% full and there was nothing that could be done about it. We also made a complaint to the duty manager once in the lounge and he assured us that again there was nothing he could do - other than apologise and then said 'of course if he could he would have upgraded us to Diamond Class', very easy to say when the option isn't there. We had the most awful flight home, the seat my partner had was broken and the foot and legrest would not stay up, so sleeping wasn't easy. The pre flight service you normally receive in Pearl was non existant - we just got offered a hurried drink mins before taking off. When complaining about the seat, the cabin director provided a weak apology and suggested we fill in a customer satisfaction form and send it back to Etihad customer services (which we have together with a strong letter of complaint). The noise coming from Economy was so loud you couldn't sleep - the flight was full of children of all ages (avoid flying beginning or end of half term holidays) and I can only assume that this is because Etihad's economy prices are so cheap compared to Emirates and Gulf Air. The service was on this occasion second rate - the staff could barely cope with the volume of passengers and one can only assume this is because they are not used to dealing with full flights. In the hope that flights don't get too busy and with the arrival of new planes, we shall keep flying with Etihad - their pricing is keen and at Pearl Class level and above their product is hard to match for the price paid. Etihad will really have to step up a gear or two to match its competitors standards of service both on the ground and in the air.

Etihad Airways - by Ahmed Al-Z.6 November 2005

LHR-AUH-LGW Economy for £260 return. Check in was very swift. A new A330-243 with excellent AVOD entertainment system with over 100 movies and programmes.

The flight was about a third full. It was easy to get 4 seats in the middle, but I opted for 3 at the rear of the plane. Anyone who wanted a window seat can have it. About an hour after departure, we were served a light meal - a choice of vege, chicken or lamb.

Mood lighting was turned on after dinner which gave a lovely feeling. Etihad staff were helpful and cheerful. I woke up 20 minutes before landing and moved to a window seat. AUH-LGW : Flew with my fiancee and we had 65kg between us, and did not have any problem. Plane was an A340 with the older IFE - a choice of 6 channels.

This time the flight was almost empty. The plane can take about 250 passengers and I guess we were about 40. Me and my fiancee had been allocated window seats but after take off, we moved to 4 seats each. About an hour after departure, we were served a light meal. We departed Abu Dhabi at 3am so it was a pleasant surprise to be served a late dinner rather than breakfast. We watched a movie while having dinner and woke up 20 minutes before landing and again moved to a window seat.

My review is based on empty flights, but seat on planes were quite comfortable even if you have just the one seat. :D

Rinrada,

Excellent post thanks a lot! Think you ahve made up my mind I'll go for Etihad and see how it goes.

After flying amongst others in an old '70s Ethiopian airways jumbo a few years back this sounds ok.

Will be flying out end of Jan for 2 weeks to see the Mrs.

Can't wait.

I've flown with Emirates and Qatar, both pretty good. Although Qatar had no 747's and this made for fairly cramped flying. I'm 6'2".

Emirates has no 747's either, do they? Anyway, whether the seating is cramped or not depends on the layout of the cabin and the type of seats. I'm sure a high-density 747 as used on Japanese domestic routes is much more cramped than a Qatar Airways A330 in economy!

Having said that, I generally prefer wide-body airliners to travel, and I very much like the 2-4-2 configuration of the Airbus A330 and A340.

I will fly Emirates around New Year and post a trip report about it mid-January.

Emirates has no 747's either, do they? Anyway, whether the seating is cramped or not depends on the layout of the cabin and the type of seats. I'm sure a high-density 747 as used on Japanese domestic routes is much more cramped than a Qatar Airways A330 in economy!

Having said that, I generally prefer wide-body airliners to travel, and I very much like the 2-4-2 configuration of the Airbus A330 and A340.

I will fly Emirates around New Year and post a trip report about it mid-January.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=9664...d=964658&size=L

I flew with Etihad in July from Manchester to Bkk. Stopped off in Abu Dhabi. No worries really, good service, good food, good planes - but no screens in front of every seat excpet for very new planes which don't fly the UK routes. Overall good value so go for it.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=9664...d=964658&size=L

That looks to be a government plane. It isn't in Emirates colours and it isn't part of their standard fleet. They fly the B777, A330 and A340.

Edited by endure

My GF and 2 friends + myself must have been lucky when we flew to Bkk last year then, on one of those.

redrus

You must have been. The 747 in the picture (A6-MMM) is part of the Royal Flight of the Dubai Air Wing. It's used for flying Sheikhs around.

Emirates passenger fleet consists of B777s, A330s and A340s.

http://www.emirates.com/AboutEmirates/Abou...Fleet/fleet.asp

http://www.planemad.net/Airline/Emirates

The have 4 747-47UFs which are cargo planes and which are registered in the US rather than in Dubai:

http://myaviation.net/search/photo_search.php?id=00500015

I've said it before and will repeat it again, Emirates is the WORST Business class I've flown bar none. I refuse to Travel Economy so i base my opinions on Business or First.Emirates is the worst Business class , Kenya Air the Best.First Class however on the new Emirates Planes is superb and gets my vote for best First Class seats.