Thai Currency Supply In 2006 Is 4 Times Higher Than In 1997

The Ministry of Commerce reveals that currency supply in 2006 is 4 times higher than in 1997

The Ministry of Commerce revealed that the local currency market of East Asia in 2005 had 4 times more currency reserves than in 1997.

Mr. Naris Chaisut (นริศ ชัยสูตร), director of the Fiscal Policy Office, stated that ever since the East Asia local currency market has entered a joint cooperative venture to standardize currency supplies, the currency reserve of the regional nations has quadrupled from $228.3 billion in 1997 to $930.9 billion in 2006.

Thailand itself has a currency reserve of 10.6 billion US dollars, which has expanded from 6.7% of the national GDP to 42.7% of the GDP in the third trimester of 2006.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 21 March 2006

The Ministry of Commerce reveals that currency supply in 2006 is 4 times higher than in 1997

The Ministry of Commerce revealed that the local currency market of East Asia in 2005 had 4 times more currency reserves than in 1997.

Mr. Naris Chaisut (นริศ ชัยสูตร), director of the Fiscal Policy Office, stated that ever since the East Asia local currency market has entered a joint cooperative venture to standardize currency supplies, the currency reserve of the regional nations has quadrupled from $228.3 billion in 1997 to $930.9 billion in 2006.

Thailand itself has a currency reserve of 10.6 billion US dollars, which has expanded from 6.7% of the national GDP to 42.7% of the GDP in the third trimester of 2006.

BOT's foreign exchange reserves fell from $37.2 billion in December 1996 to $30.9 billion in June 1997 (prior to the baht float). In addition, the BOT reported in August 1997 that in the course of the year it had incurred off-balance sheet obligations to deliver $23.4 billion dollars in the forward market over a 12-month period, so that net reserves were actually lower.

...Thailand itself has a currency reserve of 10.6 billion US dollars, which has expanded from 6.7% of the national GDP to 42.7% of the GDP in the third trimester of 2006.

Do you know if this "currency reserve" is in actual US dollar?, or the local thai currency reserve is equalivant to 10.6 billion dollars. Somehow it's not that clear to me of which one. Also I would be more interested in GNP number, not GDP.

I think if he's talking about the GDP....then I would have to guess....he's talking about the local thai currency reserve with value = to 10.6 billion dollars. Then I would love to find out the rate of increase/or decrease in the foreign reserve - in the past 2 yrs. Do you have this number also?

If we have the declining both in GNP and foriegn reserve....then this is not good for thailand

....but it will be good for those holding US dollar though :o

Edited by BKK90210

Do you know if this "currency reserve" is in actual US dollar?, or the local thai currency reserve is equalivant to 10.6 billion dollars.
I took it to mean Thailand's central bank reserve of foreign currencies, e.g. U.S. dollars, euros, yen, yuan, etc. had a combined value of US$10.6 billion since this is more easy to value internationally than the value of all baht notes and coins in circulation.

Do you know if this "currency reserve" is in actual US dollar?, or the local thai currency reserve is equalivant to 10.6 billion dollars.

I took it to mean Thailand's central bank reserve of foreign currencies, e.g. U.S. dollars, euros, yen, yuan, etc. had a combined value of US$10.6 billion since this is more easy to value internationally than the value of all baht notes and coins in circulation.

As usual with the Thai Bureau of Blablabla, it's difficult to understand their press statements.

Thailans has a foreign currency reserve of 54 billions USD. Not 10.

You can see the source on the website of the BOT (Bank of Thailand) :

http://www.bot.or.th/bothomepage/databank/...s/Reserve_e.asp

Unless they speak about the reserve in paper bills... Who knows ?

:o

Edited by cclub75

So what do are you guys getting at???

That the central bank has more reserves now to defend the baht against speculators? Any central bank is pissing into the wind if it thinks reserves are going to do anything substantial to protect a currency. I mean, Soros has broken the bank of England once already and forced it out of the European exchange rate mechanism.

The only thing is to keep the economy healthy, based on fundamentals, and allowing your currency to reflect that, by letting it be traded freely.

So what do are you guys getting at???

That the central bank has more reserves now to defend the baht against speculators? Any central bank is pissing into the wind if it thinks reserves are going to do anything substantial to protect a currency. I mean, Soros has broken the bank of England once already and forced it out of the European exchange rate mechanism.

The only thing is to keep the economy healthy, based on fundamentals, and allowing your currency to reflect that, by letting it be traded freely.

Is thailand currently floating or pegging their baths...do you know?

Is thailand currently floating or pegging their baths...do you know?
It's what they call a 'managed float' which seems to mean that overall they let the market determine the baht's value, but the Bank of Thailand may occasionally intervene by using their foreign currency reserve to either buy or sell baht to moderate any huge swings.