Health Insurance

Golden Retriever

I am going to live in BKK for 2 years. In the first year, I just have tourist visa.

Can I get health insurance as a tourist?

Which one is the best so far?

Thanks for your help

Retriever

You might also want to check out http://www.bupathailand.com/personal.asp for comparison. Useful if you are staying just in Thailand. Rates range from around 6000 Baht/year to 15000 Baht/year depending on the package you take. You just need your passport and a Thai residence (not sure of restrictions - our rented condo was fine. Don't now if they accept hotels.)

Edited by stub

You might also want to check out http://www.bupathailand.com/personal.asp for comparison. Useful if you are staying just in Thailand. Rates range from around 6000 Baht/year to 15000 Baht/year depending on the package you take. You just need your passport and a Thai residence (not sure of restrictions - our rented condo was fine. Don't now if they accept hotels.)

thanks Stub, I will do so.

• 3 weeks later...

post-12753-1140887450_thumb.jpg

I am going to live in BKK for 2 years. In the first year, I just have tourist visa.

Thanks for your help

Retriever

There is no simple answer. It depends on too many factors and I'm still getting quotes which vary so much it's ridiculous. However, the Bumrungrad International Hospital sent the attached list which may be of interest. Best of luck and don't forget to post your results.

Their email is: [email protected]

I am using Expacare - division of JLT in UK. Very satisfied with it. Here is the link if you want to get a quote http://www.apipacific.com

Prevention is the best medicine :o

I've checked the Expacare premiums and found them to be one of the most expensive, for similar cover. It appears the UK based companies tend have high premiums! What's new?

If you go to the other thread on this topic there's a lot more info. and links.

Edited by Anon999

I just signed up with BUPA. Seems reasonable to me.

An uninsured friend just had a motorcycle accident and is probably looking at THB 200,000 by the time she gets out of hospital. They were actually already hounding her for money while I was visiting her today.

No prizes for guessing which hospital she's in!

I just signed up with BUPA. Seems reasonable to me.

An uninsured friend just had a motorcycle accident and is probably looking at THB 200,000 by the time she gets out of hospital. They were actually already hounding her for money while I was visiting her today.

No prizes for guessing which hospital she's in!

In Thailand hospitals will verify ability to pay before they will treat you.

Barry

Beware that BUPA will only pay 50% for injuries incurred on a motorcycle.

It is in the small print.

However if you need cover for a period in Thailand they do offer a well

priced option for cover in Thailand.

For more extensive cover, anywhere in the world, check out the GoodHealth people who advertise down the side of the TV pages.

• 3 weeks later...

:o

this is an interesting topic and as someone said earlier there are so many factors that one has to look at, i was given a couple of recommendations and after filling out and application and getting a quote i had to tell these oversea's companies that there quotes were laughable, all these companies boast of all the saving when you get treatment in a country like thailand, if there is a savings its not going to the consumer, in the last few days i have gotten two quotes so far and in each case i told them that there rates were totally out of line. i presently live in the states and the prices i have been quoted for some of the biggest insurers has been at least 30% cheaper than anything i have seen recommended on this or any other website.

i plan to get my policy at home then a coverage in thailand that would only take care of a serious accident and thats it, the other thing i notice is that many of these companies don't want to touch any pre-existing conditions, if that the case what do i need insurance for, i take a blood pressure medication but other than that i work out in a gym for an hour and a half every day, walk three miles every day, all i need is the medication and i'm told that they will cover after a year, try looking for coverage in your own country first is what i would recommend, i know my case may be different than most cases but these prices i have seen in the last few days are terrible ( by the way i'm 59 years old)

jasper

However if you need cover for a period in Thailand they do offer a well

priced option for cover in Thailand.

For more extensive cover, anywhere in the world, check out the GoodHealth people who advertise down the side of the TV pages.

Another thing you should be aware of with BUPA, which I discovered only recently, is that they have specific limits for types of surgical procedure which in most cases is much lower than the overall surgical limit on your policy. I found this out when I needed carpal tunnel decompression (hand surgery); their limit was something like 14,000 Baht -- way less than the policy's overall surgical limit and a fraction of the actual cost at places like Bumrungrad and Samitivej (they ranged 30,000 - 50,000 Baht). Luckily as it happened, the foremost hand surgeon in the country has a private practice at Phayathai 2 Hospital which was much lower in cost so it turned out fine in that instance but it was a real wake-up call to realize that what I had thought was an adequate policy would not have remotely covered surgery at the usual expat hosps. I have since upped my coverage and am considering changing insurer.

I don't know if this is true of other policies as well, but it's something worth asking about before enrolling. Bumrungrad & the like have goten a lot more expensive than they used to be so it's not at all unlikely that their charge would exceed a typical Thai insurer's limit.

I don't know whether the hospitals reduce their fees under that circumstance -- any experiences?

I am using Expacare - division of JLT in UK. Very satisfied with it. Here is the link if you want to get a quote http://www.apipacific.com

I've checked the Expacare premiums and found them to be one of the most expensive, for similar cover. It appears the UK based companies tend have high premiums! What's new?

Forgot to mention that with Expacare all facilities, drugs, etc., and treatment must be authorised by your doctor or Expacare and be considered ESSENTIAL. Furthermore you must fill in a claim form and submit original bills to them, within 6 months. Basically that means you've got to pay up front as I cannot imagine the hospital will wait for them to eventually cough up. Can you afford that type of policy?

Forgot to mention that with Expacare all facilities, drugs, etc., and treatment must be authorised by your doctor or Expacare and be considered ESSENTIAL. Furthermore you must fill in a claim form and submit original bills to them, within 6 months. Basically that means you've got to pay up front as I cannot imagine the hospital will wait for them to eventually cough up. Can you afford that type of policy?

I have been using EXPACARE for over 15 years now. I live mostly in Japan but also in Thailand and travel extensively including the USA.

I had my galbladder removed in Tokyo where private rooms run way above 400US$ a night (just for the room) and EXPACARE contacted the hospital and authorized all cost. I did not see the bill as it was settles directly. Their contact guy in Tokyo called every 2 days to see if all was ok.

Overall a very good service.

Premiums are not cheap but they pay up when called upon

I probably will re-consider once I settle in the LOS as I will then be looking at lower coverage and premiums probably with a Thai comapny like Thai Health Insurance which also settles hospital bills direct with the hospital.

post-12753-1140887450_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your help

Retriever

There is no simple answer. It depends on too many factors and I'm still getting quotes which vary so much it's ridiculous. However, the Bumrungrad International Hospital sent the attached list which may be of interest. Best of luck and don't forget to post your results.

Their email is: [email protected]

Thanks, I have contacted some of them and got quotations form AXA PPP healthcare,Good health, and BUPA international, I also asked a quotation from BUPA THAILAND. Reading all the document is frustrating, I guess I need see doctors before making decision.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

actually, that's not quite true. the 50% applies only to the personal accident part, they will cover the medical treatment resulting from a bike accident up to the full limit of your coverage.

Hi guys

follow link to a very good insurance agency, these people really know what insurance company is worth to deal with in realtion to your current health situation, no need to hide any health conditions to receive a good advice.

http://www.insurance-in-thailand.com/

No offence to Master Chief when I ask this question (always good to get confirmation and/or other views) - does anyone else have experience of dealing with PCD International as insurance consultants/brokers?

• 1 month later...