Notary Public

which is why i am now paying 7000 shekels to retranslate my marriage stuff here in israel with a notarian lawyer/translator service. :o:D

i am slowly tearing my hair out.......

dont go for the fancy stamps route. go for a real notary from your own country; it will save time/money and anxiety.!!!!!!!!!

Can I find a notary public in Thailand or BKK?

Any idea of the costs?

What do you need it for? Banks usually accept (and sometimes only accept) things notarized by other banks (e.g. signature cards etc). If anything government related, MFA can legalize offical documents (e.g. marriage certificates, birth certificates etc).

Any idea of the costs?

You didn't say where you are from.

For what it's worth, I recently had Australian driver's licence renewal application forms notarized at the Australian Embassy in BKK.

The cost for the service was 1,400 baht.

i reiterate:

the mfa can legalize many things but if some 'body' is demanding that something get notarized then it has to be notorized not legalized.... notarization is a particular person saying that the said documents are indeed true documents /or true translations: it is the notory's personal responsibiltiy, on his/her name, and the notary is listed in courts of law etc... as an acceptable person. i also had documents certified translated by thai embassy, but had to get them retranslated by the notarian (sub contracted of course for thai to hebrew)so he would notarize them. he was unwilling to notarize something that he was not involved in writing up (not just for the money as they all go by the same country price list, at least here)...

tropo: the australian embassy didnt notarize those forms, someone who is a notary public or whatever its called in english, notarized them and they also work in the australian embassy, or the embassy makes sure they have someone who is a notary public work at the embassy. both embassies in both countries (thailand and israel) did not have notaries working at the embassy.

just for your information, probably a moot point at this hour of the night.

bina

Edited by bina

Apostille Certificate | Authentication Certificate | Public Documents

It is the requirement of most overseas governments that a Notary's signature and seal to foreign public documents be authenticated and legalised, before they are allowed to operate in their country.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) issues Apositille Certificates legalising Australian public documents for use overseas in countries that are signatories to The Hague Convention.

It also issues Authentication Certificates to assist with legalisation of Australian public documents at foreign Embassies and Consulates in Australia for use in overseas countries which have not signed The Hague Convention.

In Thailand this is service is carried out by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Documents signed and stamped by a Justice of the Peace or Commissioner of Declarations

are only accepted at an Australian Embassy or Consulate or within Australia.

the mfa 'notarization' is NOT accepted by my country's ministry of the interior; they dont care that our mfa in thailand (the israeli embassy) accepted the marriage documents translated from the thai to english with all the stamps stickers and signatures (two on front and back of every page); i now have to do it all again, here, by an israeli notary including retranslating everything from thai to hebrew. here, they claim that what i got from the mfa thailand is not notarization but just approved certificates/certified copies meeting the mfa thailand and the mfa israel requirements. ministry of interior/immigration here (in israel) DO NOT ACCEPT THESE PAPERS AS NOTORIZED!!

we also do not have the hague agreement.

the price for notorizing here is set by a country wide price list.

maybe australia is just more lenient, or more liberal than israel in its acceptance of documentation; or maybe israel is more like thailand in that every office has its own 'quirks' and officers having bad hair days...

whatever....

bina

gritting her teeth and cursing the middle east....... :o

MFA legalization is not a notary service so they are right about that - but it is the accepted standard by international governments and any paper so stamped should be accepted for legal use. It appears your Ministry is using domestic requirements of "notary" stamp even from a country that has no such stamp. Rigid rules (of the west) are not always the best when thus applied.

If you have a document authenticated at the MFA for use in your home country, that's NOT the last step in the procedure: you then have to have the MFA authentication authenticated by your own embassy in Bangkok.

Use of the aforementioned apostille would greatly simplify the process, but Thailand is not party to the Hague Convention and does not issue apostilles.

Edited by taxout

Any idea of the costs?

We have six lawyers in our firm, who are licensed to notarize documents with a notary seal. Our professional fee is 500 Baht. They had to go to a special class unlike the West to be a notary, this is why most Thai lawyers do not have the license to be a notary.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com