Cancelling Airasia Flights

onebir

i'm thinking about buying airasia tickets to get round awkward 'onward ticket' requirements. but although the tickets are very cheap, sometimes the tax isn't. so i was wondering if you get the tax back if you cancel a ticket...

i mailed airasia to ask but still haven't heard back...

I'm 99% sure you get nothing, nada, zilch, zero refunded if you cancel.

SO

Why not get a visa? Could actually be cheaper if you factor in a visa run you won't need :o

BTW

Some have noted that the 'onward travel' requirement has been relaxed, you may wish to check with your inbound airline that they will let you board with no onward ticket or visa. Get the answer in writing to show a dis-believing check-in clerk.

Why not get a visa? Could actually be cheaper if you factor in a visa run you won't need :o

BTW

Some have noted that the 'onward travel' requirement has been relaxed, you may wish to check with your inbound airline that they will let you board with no onward ticket or visa. Get the answer in writing to show a dis-believing check-in clerk.

It's to get round Oasis Hong Kong's onward ticket requirement... I called them and they won't let a UK citizen on a one way flight to HK without an onward ticket - or a Chinese visa i think. The Chinese embassy in London won't issue a tourist visa for China without a return ticket. And Hong Kong is the only place you can easily get 6m visas for China.

A cheap enough flight out of HK/Macau would be a way around this - esp if the tax is reclaimable...

Any of the low-priced AirAsia tickets are non-refundable. If you need a ticket for the express purpose of showing some entity that you have an onwards ticket, you would be better off purchasing a full-fare, fully-refundable ticket from a regular carrier such as THAI. Even in doing that, you still need to be careful to ensure that the ticket you purchase is indeed fully refundable. This will probably be an expensive ticket.

I was thinking of the same question...

Once when I flew BKK LHR BKK, Emirates made me buy a onward ticket, even though I was returning to Thailand on the return stub of my ticket, and I had the FCO letter of residence to show.

I did have a longer return ticket but this was in Thailand, also with Emirates, and I am (was) a frequent flyer with them, but they couldn't or wouldnt check, so I had to buy a onward ticket, then get a refund from the BKK office with a bad EX rate.

Any of the low-priced AirAsia tickets are non-refundable.

That's the fare. I was asking about the tax, insurance fee and fuel surcharge (in many cases >= the fare). The airline doesn't have to pay these if I cancel, so why should it keep them?

If you need a ticket for the express purpose of showing some entity that you have an onwards ticket, you would be better off purchasing a full-fare, fully-refundable ticket from a regular carrier such as THAI.

Not really - as you say...

This will probably be an expensive ticket.

And all return tickets 12m validity. & not sure I want to go back within 12m. Finally, Oasis HK does LHR-HK singles for <GBP200, about GBP 150 cheaper than the other singles i've seen (which for some reason are always >80% of the cost of a return...)

Back to original question:

has anyone ever tried to reclaim airport tax, insurance fee and fuel surcharge after cancelling an AirAsia ticket?

Any of the low-priced AirAsia tickets are non-refundable.

That's the fare. I was asking about the tax, insurance fee and fuel surcharge (in many cases >= the fare). The airline doesn't have to pay these if I cancel, so why should it keep them?

If you need a ticket for the express purpose of showing some entity that you have an onwards ticket, you would be better off purchasing a full-fare, fully-refundable ticket from a regular carrier such as THAI.

Not really - as you say...

This will probably be an expensive ticket.

And all return tickets 12m validity. & not sure I want to go back within 12m.

I think you are going to have to accept that a 'low cost' airline is just that and you will get nothing if you want to cancel. Treat it as a bus ticket because thats who they are in competition with.

If you did want a return ticket UK to HK then Air New Zealand and BA can match the fare of Oasis right now.

I think Ovenman was suggesting that if you were going to purchase a ticket which you wished to refund then it would be better if you did it with an international airline ( no need to wait 12 months for your refund) although the initial outlay would be expensive.

I'm not sure why your question about Air Asia is on a Thai forum as Air Asia do not fly to Hong Kong only Macau so would that really help you?

I think you are going to have to accept that a 'low cost' airline is just that and you will get nothing if you want to cancel. Treat it as a bus ticket because thats who they are in competition with.

I'm happy to accept if it's true - which is what I was asking. (Have National Express started doing London-HK btw?)

If you did want a return ticket UK to HK then Air New Zealand and BA can match the fare of Oasis right now.

True - but if possible I'd prefer not to have to chose a return date, and not to have to throw away the return half if i don't go back within 12m. (And I don't understand why single fares on most airlines are 75%+ of the return fare.)

I'm not sure why your question about Air Asia is on a Thai forum as Air Asia do not fly to Hong Kong only Macau so would that really help you?

Given that Macau's a short ferry trip from HK, I'd hope so - but i'll need to check with Oasis HK

It makes sense to post here because a lot of people here seem use AirAsia - especially since the visa regs changed - & I don't know any equally lively forums where that's likely...

Edited by onebir

I'm happy to accept if it's true - which is what I was asking.

Under "Terms and Conditions" on the Air Asia Web site it states

Booking of Seats

Confirmation of Booking: The booking of a Seat is confirmed after full payment of the fare is made and after we issue you a booking number and/or the Itinerary. Once confirmed, the booking cannot be cancelled and payments made are not refundable.

Well I found today a link on Airasia.com to webpage announcing that there are new rules for reservations in Malaysia

http://www.flyasianxpress.com/

( hope the links works)

Thanks - the link works, but unfortunately, FlyAsianExpress is a subsidiary (?) that only does domestic flights within Malaysia.

Confirmation of Booking: The booking of a Seat is confirmed after full payment of the fare is made and after we issue you a booking number and/or the Itinerary. Once confirmed, the booking cannot be cancelled and payments made are not refundable.

Thanks also - I was looking for a section titled 'cancellation'. Must be more patient.

Edited by onebir

Well I found today a link on Airasia.com to webpage announcing that there are new rules for reservations in Malaysia

http://www.flyasianxpress.com/

( hope the links works)

Thanks - the link works, but unfortunately, FlyAsianExpress is a subsidiary (?) that only does domestic flights within Malaysia.

Thanks also - I was looking for a section titled 'cancellation'. Must be more patient.

There is no separate Condition dealing with Cancellation by a passenger. However Condition 4.3 states:

"Government Taxes, Charges and Insurance Surcharge: Any government taxes, charges or insurance surcharge imposed on air travel by the Government, relevant authority or the airport operator in respect of your use of any of our services or facilities will be in addition to our fares, administration fees and charges and shall be borne by you, unless otherwise specifically stated by us. Such government taxes, charges and insurance surcharge imposed on air travel may change from time to time and can be imposed even after the date that your booking has been confirmed. You shall nevertheless bear such government taxes, charges or insurance surcharge as and when they fall due prior to departure.

Please refer to our fee schedule for amounts on taxes, charges and Insurance Surcharge." (my Bold parts)

If you read that in conjunction with 5.1 Confirmation of Booking and bearing in miond that by making a booking you have to signify that you have read and accept the Conditions, then 5.1 is the governing Condition and is quite clear ( and it's standard with all airlines, I would think). When you book and pay, you've agreed to bear all the taxes etc. and you've also agreed that cancellations are not allowed and that refunds are not allowable. Seems unfair (arguably immoral) if airlines keep the tax, but all the income goes into their kitty to either swell profits are keep prices down.

There is no separate Condition dealing with Cancellation by a passenger. However Condition 4.3 states:

"Government Taxes, Charges and Insurance Surcharge: Any government taxes, charges or insurance surcharge imposed on air travel by the Government, relevant authority or the airport operator in respect of your use of any of our services or facilities will be in addition to our fares, administration fees and charges and shall be borne by you, unless otherwise specifically stated by us. Such government taxes, charges and insurance surcharge imposed on air travel may change from time to time and can be imposed even after the date that your booking has been confirmed. You shall nevertheless bear such government taxes, charges or insurance surcharge as and when they fall due prior to departure.

Please refer to our fee schedule for amounts on taxes, charges and Insurance Surcharge." (my Bold parts)

If you read that in conjunction with 5.1 Confirmation of Booking and bearing in miond that by making a booking you have to signify that you have read and accept the Conditions, then 5.1 is the governing Condition and is quite clear ( and it's standard with all airlines, I would think). When you book and pay, you've agreed to bear all the taxes etc. and you've also agreed that cancellations are not allowed and that refunds are not allowable. Seems unfair (arguably immoral) if airlines keep the tax, but all the income goes into their kitty to either swell profits are keep prices down.

I think I saw that - but discounted it because of when they fall due prior to departure - which isn't the case for a departure tax (unless it's misnamed...)

The inability to cancel a booking is the only thing that makes the situation re taxes completely clear. (Without this I think "Confirmation of Booking: The booking of a Seat is confirmed after full payment of the fare is made and after we issue you a booking number and/or the Itinerary. Once confirmed, the booking cannot be cancelled and payments made are not refundable." is a bit ambiguous: without an 'all' in front of it, 'payments' could just refer to 'fare' mentioned in the preceding sentence.)

• 4 months later...

The quickest and easiest way to get their attention: dispute the charge with the credit card company that you used... Air Asia will have an obligation to respond TO THEM, within like 30 or 60 days. In all liklihood, they won't respond, and the charge will be reversed... at least that's the way it works with U.S. credit card companies. If they do respond, the credit card company, who is now the judge, will proably find it reasonable that the airline not collect taxes, that they probably collected a second time for an actual flying passenger.

Either way, I find that sucky that they try to keep taxes they aren't entitled to.