Multi-entry Non-immigrant O Visa -- Nearest Country To Get One

Hi,

I got my multi-entry non-immigrant O visa (married to a Thai) at the Thai embassy in the US just over a year ago, and it is now almost time for another one. Official sources suggest that in order to do this, I must make an expensive 16-hour plane flight back to the US. However, from reading people's posts here and talking to other expats around here, it appears that this should not be necessary.

I cannot easily show any significant amount of funds in a Thai bank account. If necessary, I can produce bank statements from a US bank that show over Bht 400'000 in deposits (> US$11'000 or so). Neither my wife nor I have any income in Thailand. I am under age 50.

Given my qualifications above, where is the nearest country (preferably in Asia) I can go to in order to obtain a new multi-entry non-immigrant O visa? A friend of mine did this 6 months ago in Singapore and had no need to show any bank deposits or anything beyond the usual (marriage certificate, passport, copy of wife's ID card, passport photos, and fee). From what I've read here lately, it appears that there may now be additional requirements at that location.

Hi,

I got my multi-entry non-immigrant O visa (married to a Thai) at the Thai embassy in the US just over a year ago, and it is now almost time for another one. Official sources suggest that in order to do this, I must make an expensive 16-hour plane flight back to the US. However, from reading people's posts here and talking to other expats around here, it appears that this should not be necessary.

I cannot easily show any significant amount of funds in a Thai bank account. If necessary, I can produce bank statements from a US bank that show over Bht 400'000 in deposits (> US$11'000 or so). Neither my wife nor I have any income in Thailand. I am under age 50.

Given my qualifications above, where is the nearest country (preferably in Asia) I can go to in order to obtain a new multi-entry non-immigrant O visa? A friend of mine did this 6 months ago in Singapore and had no need to show any bank deposits or anything beyond the usual (marriage certificate, passport, copy of wife's ID card, passport photos, and fee). From what I've read here lately, it appears that there may now be additional requirements at that location.

Yes recent reports suggest that Singapore is almost your only place near to Thailand that issues multi BUT you need to show equivalent of 400k baht in bank (not necessarily in Thailand)

It is also reported that Kuala Lumpur is giving multi without the 400k requirement

Singapore for sure , but you need to show THB 400k in a ThaiBank.

Not sure about KL.

I'd like to know the nearest consulate I can travel to without showing THB 400K in a Thai bank. Can anyone tell me?

There have been some issued in KL but suspect they may have been over age 50 and thus not suspected of being illegal workers (but posts have not been many or clear). Your best bet would the US, Oz or Europe I suspect.

There have been some issued in KL but suspect they may have been over age 50 and thus not suspected of being illegal workers (but posts have not been many or clear). Your best bet would the US, Oz or Europe I suspect.

Really? No embassy anywhere in Asia? Not Hong Kong, Seoul, Taiwan, or even Tokyo, for instance?

I guess I could borrow Bht 400'000 from a friend for long enough to get it in my Thai bank book, but I'm against that on general principle.

You should follow lopburi3 advise.

The rules have changed since October , some addl requirement has been passed to Embassies in January which includes the THB 400k rule.

If you are not a resident of these countries (HKG,Seoul,Taiwan or Tokyu) you can not get Yearly Non Immigrant Visa , they will issue only Single Entry Visa for 90days.

You could try Delhi :o

I have an email from them (as of last month) stating that a non-o would be no problem, usual paperwork, no mention of a financial requirement.

Not tried it yet, I'm off to Delhi mid april (work) I'll give it a go then :D