My Wife Bought A New 2 Wheel Tractor Today.

There have been some interest in the cost of new 2 wheel tractors so I am reporting this purchase. The motor is Siam Kubota 9 horse peak power, 8 horse continuous...diesel (of course)...hand crank start. The chasis is Siam Kubota with 3 forward and 1 reverse gear....has the long gear shift lever (not the hand grip shifter). It came with a single bottom plow, two disc light disc, and a single bar hard tooth harrow.....all of these are fairly cheap but functional. Total cost was 57,000 baht including delivery, brief operating instructions on site, a video CD for the motor (in Thai), a video CD for the chasis (in Thai), 1 year warranty on the chasis, and 2 year warranty on the motor.

You can save about 3,500 baht if you get the 8 horse motor instead with the same chasis...8 horses is adequate...my uncle bought an 8 horse one. You can get the top of the line chassis with a hand shifter which has a squeeze grip clutch as well as the stick actuated clutch (I have only the stick clutch) with everything else seeming to be the same except for that sporty look all for about 1,900 baht more. You can save about 4,000 baht if you buy a chassis (not Siam Kubota but some less well known brand) without reverse gear and a more cumbersome method of changing speed and actuating brakes. You can get a meter that shows hours of operation for 900 baht extra.

So from cheapest (8 horse, no reverse, no hour gage, clunky controls) for about 48,500 baht or the best one (9 horse, 3 forward 1 rev, easy to operate controls with grip shifter and extra clutch, and hour gage) for about 57,900 baht (actually you can get bigger motors but no one seems to do that). And just for a reality check...I have been using a really old 2 wheel tractor with 9 horse motor but probably is actually making 8 or less, no reverse, you have to change the belt drive position by hand to change speeds (only two speeds forward and I've heard it is possible to twist the belt to get reverse but I've never seen anyone do it) and really clunky controls that take a bit of muscle to work them.....and.....it has been totally adequate for all plowing, discing, harrowing, and wagon pulling.....but....it does tire you out. So the main advantage of the new one will be that I won't be dog tired after 3 hours of plowing...I'll probably be able to go for 5 hours a day but it is time to start tilling for the rice seedlings so I'll find out tomorrow.

Next installment tomorrow....

Might make an interesting 'cereal'. :o

Thanks for the details. I like learning weird stuff like that, first-handed. I hadn't even realised that diesel was the norm until last year. In fact, I learned it from a Dutchman in another thread here. :D

Is there a Thai Trivia game? This stuff must be gold :D

Next installment tomorrow....

Might make an interesting 'cereal'.  :o

Thanks for the details. I like learning weird stuff like that, first-handed. I hadn't even realised that diesel was the norm until last year. In fact, I learned it from a Dutchman in another thread here.  :D

Is there a Thai Trivia game? This stuff must be gold  :D

Don't know if I'll make it a 'cereal' 'cause I don't know if it would go against the 'grain' here. Some people might think it was just alot of 'pablum'.

Hi Chownah

Up where I live I think they are nicknamed Kwae (or Kwai) Lek. You can also get an attachment to pump water as well.

Very useful machines except they have a tendency to appear in the dusk and early darkness with no lights which is nerve wracking on some of the local roads.

This sometimes causes involuntary bowel movements and a lot of swearing in Thai and English. :o

I used to love tractors, but I don't anymore. What does that make me?

this link from a couple of days ago has a link for making your own bio-diesel brewer. They say it costs a couple of hundred dollars, and can be assembled in a day once you have all the parts. Personally I would love to make one just for the fun and experience, though I suspect it would take more than a day.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34925

answer: ex-tractor-fan

:D Well, if she bought it she should test drive it ,a not unreasonable request.Then you would know first hand how tireing it is.From her.

Of course, if she takes umbridge at this most reasonable thought on your part ,and plants you one ,then it is back to square one.O the trials and tribulations of the landed gentry. :o

Edited by roscoe

So the main advantage of the new one will be that I won't be dog tired after 3 hours of plowing...I'll probably be able to go for 5 hours a day but it is time to start tilling for the rice seedlings so I'll find out tomorrow.

Thank you for an interesting post, I learned a lot more about these workhorses, but I fear for your status:

Quote:

Prohibited Jobs for Foreigners

Work in agriculture, animal breeding, forestry, fishery or general farm supervision

• Masonry, carpentry, or other construction work

etc.

etc.

etc.

:o

So the main advantage of the new one will be that I won't be dog tired after 3 hours of plowing...I'll probably be able to go for 5 hours a day but it is time to start tilling for the rice seedlings so I'll find out tomorrow.

Thank you for an interesting post, I learned a lot more about these workhorses, but I fear for your status:

Quote:

Prohibited Jobs for Foreigners

Work in agriculture, animal breeding, forestry, fishery or general farm supervision

• Masonry, carpentry, or other construction work

etc.

etc.

etc.

Oh! Sorry! I did not express myself correctly. What I meant was I used to get dog tired after WATCHING 3 hours of plowing and know I'll hopefully be able to WATCH 5 hours of plowing a day. Work fascinates me...I can watch it for hours...but it is tiring.

Thanks for the first hand information. Fascinating.

Does anyone know how they take the tractor motor and turn it into a wierd kind of truck (an E-Tahn)?

Just wondering.

They use a kind of 'universal mounting', two simple rails... It can be moved to the truck, or thresher, or water pump, or generator, or.... Very creative minds among farmers here, it seems :o

itan1.jpg

Edited by Ajarn

There have been some interest in the cost of new 2 wheel tractors so I am reporting this purchase.

Thank you very much Mr. Chownah for your generously shared information.

I wish you and your wife a lot of happiness with the purchase of the Kubota.

It is a fine machine. I allways wanted to have one, but I don't know what to do with it. As soon as I do I certainly will get one. They are absolutely reliable.

A friend lives in an area not discovered yet by the EGAT. He runs his Kubota for seven hours a day, so he can play his music very loud and not hear the Kubota all the time.

My greetings to your lucky wife, may you and your Kubota give her many hours of happiness( followed by a respectful wai).

Limbo (proud owner of a Toyota grasscutter, but longing for 'the real thing'))

• 8 months later...

I think the kubota-powered 'walking tractors' are great. We bought one, and a trailer and implements, to help my brother-in-law to do our rice.

I hauled it all home in the old Toyota pickup, but wasn't allowed to help to assemble it all, or allowed to test drive it.

(According to my wife, it is a matter of culture.

In this hierarchical structure, I am restricted to doing only the things that are done by a pukka gentlemen-farmer (i.e. watch the work being done, and enjoy the produce).

But I think she really wants to save herself from having to put up with me hobbling around next day with my back giving me he.ll)

She does let me photograph it, though, and tell about it in my Christmas letter to Blighty.

<snip>

You can save about 3,500 baht if you get the 8 horse motor instead with the same chasis...8 horses is adequate...my uncle bought an 8 horse one. You can get the top of the line chassis with a hand shifter which has a squeeze grip clutch as well as the stick actuated clutch (I have only the stick clutch) with everything else seeming to be the same except for that sporty look all for about 1,900 baht more. You can save about 4,000 baht if you buy a chassis (not Siam Kubota but some less well known brand) without reverse gear and a more cumbersome method of changing speed and actuating brakes. You can get a meter that shows hours of operation for 900 baht extra.

</snip>

Fascinating stuff, and it's not often you get to see the word "sporty" in a paragraph about a 9 HP motor! :o

pretty interesting. Wish you much fun with it!

There have been some interest in the cost of new 2 wheel tractors so I am reporting this purchase. The motor is Siam Kubota 9 horse peak power, 8 horse continuous...diesel (of course)...hand crank start. The chasis is Siam Kubota with 3 forward and 1 reverse gear....has the long gear shift lever (not the hand grip shifter). It came with a single bottom plow, two disc light disc, and a single bar hard tooth harrow.....all of these are fairly cheap but functional. Total cost was 57,000 baht including delivery, brief operating instructions on site, a video CD for the motor (in Thai), a video CD for the chasis (in Thai), 1 year warranty on the chasis, and 2 year warranty on the motor.

So from cheapest (8 horse, no reverse, no hour gage, clunky controls) for about 48,500 baht or the best one (9 horse, 3 forward 1 rev, easy to operate controls with grip shifter and extra clutch, and hour gage) for about 57,900 baht (actually you can get bigger motors but no one seems to do that). And just for a reality check...I have been using a really old 2 wheel tractor with 9 horse motor but probably is actually making 8 or less, no reverse, you have to change the belt drive position by hand to change speeds (only two speeds forward and I've heard it is possible to twist the belt to get reverse but I've never seen anyone do it) and really clunky controls that take a bit of muscle to work them.....and.....it has been totally adequate for all plowing, discing, harrowing, and wagon pulling.....but....it does tire you out. So the main advantage of the new one will be that I won't be dog tired after 3 hours of plowing...I'll probably be able to go for 5 hours a day but it is time to start tilling for the rice seedlings so I'll find out tomorrow.

Wonderful and very informative post!! Will move it to the Motoring forum though to do it justice. (Will leave the link from here. :o

Speaking of E-Ten / Kubota tracktors, have a look at this masterpiece of a picture. (It's NOT mine).

post-6796-1140670209_thumb.jpg

I wish I remembered where it came from so I could credit the author.

"Sporty" is as "Sporty" does.

A few days ago, I saw a lad driving his father's rice tractor and trailer and he was clearly in "Schumacher" mode.

I said to my wife: "Behold, the first of the Formual One Kubotas".

There is a stretch of about ten km along Highway Two, just to the north of Khon Kaen. (Up to the depot for the weighing-in of scrap materials for re-cycling.)

I call it "The Land Of The Formula One Dust Carts".

Never before have I seen municipal-refuse vehicles being driven with such spirit and vigour!!

<snip>

</snip>

Fascinating stuff, and it's not often you get to see the word "sporty" in a paragraph about a 9 HP motor! :D

:o:D

chownah, I salute you, I think you will find that most of the people here that are snickering are secretly harbouring a desire to own such a fine machine.

I have often toyed with the idea of starting with a kubota diesel and seeing how many things I can run off it at once. Kind of like a mass multi purpose utility machine!

Water pump.

Air compressor

Welder (from a car alternator)

Shredder

Generator

PTO

Couple it all up on a cart and tow it around the village on the back of your motorcy, to wherever the need arises.

Can anyone think of something else to throw on it. This could be the export dream that pulls Thailand out of the sh!t!!

My wife is eager to learn how to drive. I won't allow her to learn with my Nissan. She tells me I am kee neow with my vehicle. I than offered to buy a Kubota with a nice wagon that she could learn to drive and she could take all her friends pai teow. I had a very peaceful two or three days but she is now back talking to me again.

I did break down and am allowing her to learn to drive the four wheel drive Toyota. NO! I don't have the patience to TRY to teach her. Fortunately her uncle volunteered. If she puts the Toyota out of commission I still have MY Nissan.