Ups Recommendations Please

Mobi

I have bought two Bright UPS's for my two desk tops over the past 2 years, and both of them are useless. They worked for a while, but now ,when there is a power surge and/or cut the PC's instantly crash.

The rating on the UPS is 500 VA. I read recently that I should look for 650 VA, and that APS is a good brand name.

I would appreciate any advice as I do suffer from frequent momentary black outs (usually less than a second) which crash my PC's and I lose data I am working on - to say nothing of the potential damage to my equipment.

Thanks

The rating on the UPS is 500 VA. I read recently that I should look for 650 VA, and that APS is a good brand name.

APC is the best (IMHO) and I highly recommend it. Have several dozen at the laboratory I work at where data integrity is often critical and power is, let's just say, not as reliable as one would think for a university. I just bought a 650VA (400Watt) APC UPS with a USB connector and software that monitors the UPS and informs you of dropouts, brownouts, etc and will shutdown the computer in a clean fashion after a period of time of power failure. Also has transient suppression for the phone line which will help protect an ADSL modem. Paid about 3800 Baht for it.

Certainly time to go with a new brand. Make sure your current system is properly grounded because that can cause problems. Also make sure you do not have your UPS plugged into a surge protected outlet because some manufacturers recommend against since they have built in surge protection.

I currently have a Leonics Astra which has been working 24/7 for 3 years. I never turned the UPS off even though the PC and monitor may be off. I was not overly happy with the software but since I rarely leave the PC on when not around I do not use the software.

I am not familiar with APS brand but the APC brand has a great rep. I recently bought one for the GF's PC and so far is working great and it came with a multi year warranty.

Best bet in Thailand is typically to provide an Automatic Voltage Regulator (AVR) in front of the UPS. This helps to keep the UPS from working too hard.

Do you know where one can buy one of these units because have been unable to locate one thats not manual. I need at my up country house where the AC voltage will sag to 165 at times in the hottest parts of the year in the evening. My UPS takes care of it down to 175 but after that its shutdown time for the PC.

Have been using Leonics UPSs for over ten years. The oldest one (1,000VA) needed a new battery twice which was replaced within minutes at their service center. Other Leonics UPS (500VA), some of which are 5+ years old are still going strong without a new battery.

My vote goes to Leonics. Their service is good and fast.

opalhort

NB: we are in BKK and power problems are quite rare.

I use Nova 1100, 1100 VA with USB connection. Cost is below THB 4,000 and came with the required software also.

Set the Save and Power Down to 30% of battery level, gives you with 1 computer about 15-18 min time to finish some work. Is set to Hibernate to and the computer will come back to last stage after the power come back.

Every settings programmable.

I have been using a Bright for several years without a glitch. It sounds like you just need to replace the battery on the units you have - they may have been sitting for a long period prior to sale and thus have a short life.

Normally the battery should be replaced latest every two years. I replace the batteries in our UPS's every year!

The APC manual states three years. My last UPS held up for 6 years on the same battery before not handling glitches. Getting a new battery for it and put it on my media center computer and the new APC will go on my main, expensive, rig. :o

I have bought two Bright UPS's for my two desk tops over the past 2 years, and both of them are useless. They worked for a while, but now ,when there is a power surge and/or cut the PC's instantly crash.

I would appreciate any advice as I do suffer from frequent momentary black outs (usually less than a second) which crash my PC's and I lose data I am working on - to say nothing of the potential damage to my equipment.

Thanks

Sounds as though they might need new batteries. If you intend to buy a new one APC is the way to go.

It really depends. The rating may be not very accurate for the lower priced models. I personally use a 1000va UPS for just one desktop, but it is heavily loaded.

Batter life really depends... on the battery itself, the UPS, the load, the supply, etc. You could end up with a fairly dead battery after only a couple of years, or after several years. If it's cutting off very soon after the mains fails, then it's time to replace. Getting a UPS with an easily replaceable battery means you don't need to replace the whole thing when the battery fails.

• 1 year later...
THanks for all the information.

I'll go down to Tuk Com today and see what they've got.

If I get a 1000 VA UPS, will it run two desk tops, or shall I shall I restrict it to one only?

Hi Mobi.

2 years down the track, what did you buy and cost please?

Happy with your choice?

cheers :)

I have had several of the smaller 250/500 UPS's over the years, and to be honest they are not really worth the bother. I now have 2 1500VA APC units and they are excellent, well worth the price. I will also recommend Leonics as their service is typically Un-Thai (fast and efficient).

Getting a UPS with an easily replaceable battery means you don't need to replace the whole thing when the battery fails.

Last time around I bought an APC Model 800 .. which seems rock solid.

NOTE: This model (others?) doesn't have "standard household type receptacles" for plugging in the equipment. As I recall, only 1 cord shipped with the unit.

It also shipped without the battery installed .. good training for the next replacement. :)

A timely resurrection of an old thread.

Leonics are the best of the locally manufactured units. I have seen their hardware expand into charging regulators, inverters and all the peripherals for solar-powered applications. APC is the 'dogs <deleted>' for UPS's and surge protection in the US so should be the best of all.

Although UPS batteries may last for 3 years, they can lose capacity before then so if you notice your backup time is a lot less, you can buy a new battery. I have seen the commonest sizes at Amorn outlets all over Thailand.

Just a note on 'surge protectors' versus UPS's. Most of what is available locally (typically less than 600 baht) is as much use as a chocolate fireguard. The only brand name I trust for these is Belkin and Wanpro. Never use them to 'protect' a full blown UPS but they can be used on the outlet side just in case things go awry with the UPS's filtering. Normal use is for mains filtering of non-critical peripherals like printers and the like.

Regarding Astrals 3-4 hour backup system; is that a regular car battery in the background? Just be aware that regular car batteries give off explosive hydrogen gas when charging so it best not be under the desk and beside the ashtray! Since Astral is still posting, he hasn't been blown up. Yet.