Getting Temporary Usa Cell Phone Number For Travel

Jingthing

In other threads about travel, people usually suggest buying a local SIM card for international travel, rather than using roaming on a Thai mobile (as the cost per minute is outrageous). Well, that would be great but I don't know of a US provider who doesn't require you to buy a phone, and then their plan. The best deal I could easily find is Virgin Mobile USA, which has a phone for 30 dollars, and a by the minutes plan (buy every 30 days) for 20 dollars. Is there a way to just buy a SIM card in the US with a decent per minute plan, if so, what provider exactly?

Thanks for that good info, sbk.

Another question: I own two bought in Thailand cell phones, both of which I have used for prepaid 1 2 Call service. Can I assume these phones are both GSM compatible and also already unlocked?

You can buy a pre-paid SIM from T-Mobile. Provided you have an un-locked GSM1900-compatible phone, this SIM will work. Note that T-Mobile does not have 100% coverage; check the coverage map(s) on their website. I think I pay 10 U.S. Cents per Minute.

Check the specs on your phone(s); you are looking for the wording, "GSM900/1800/1900" specifcally, rather than "tri-band".

You can buy a burner (cheap throw-away phone with minutes) at any large budget department store (i.e. Wal-Mart); good for a short-stay.

If you can detail your calling patterns (local, international, text, etc.) and required validity I can attempt a more focused recommendation.

Before you ask, T-Mobile does NOT offer GPRS on pre-paid accounts, unfortunately.

The eBay route is OK, just make sure you purchase one right before your trip as these often are sold with short validity. Just have a friend purchase it for you.

AT&T purchased Cingular so operates GSM 850 (AT&T) and GSM 1900 (Cingular) networks. With T-Mobile, and One-2-Call/AIS I sometimes roam on old Cingular (now AT&T) towers. That AT&T Nokia phone is GSM 850/1900 compatible, but no SIM and locked to AT&T. Be sure and check-out the rates as AT&T charges a daily usage rate on some plans, or really high per minute charges on others, for PAYG plans. Coverage would be 100% with AT&T.

T-Mobile has a SIM deal .

• 2 weeks later...

Update on T-mobile.

Your phone does not need to be triband. It just needs to support one of these bands:

and also be GSM unlocked

Oh, I want to confirm something.

If I bought a phone in Thailand and have used it for 1 2 call prepaid, can I assume it is already UNLOCKED?

Edited by Jingthing