British Tourist Leaps To Death In Chiang Mai

george

British tourist leaps to death in Chiang Mai

CHIANG MAI: -- A British tourist committed suicide Saturday morning by jumping from his room on the sixth floor of a condominium in this northern city, falling to his death on the roof of an adjacent building, police said.

Entirely naked, the victim -- identified as Mark Anthony, age 35 -- leaped from his apartment room, breaking his neck and wrists in the fall.

Police said he had lived in the central Chiang Mai condominium for more than six months.

Police said Mr. Anthony had a medical checkup at a provincial hospital two days earlier and was stressed after returning to his room, apparently after learning that he was suffering from a chronic disease.

Police said they would conduct further investigation. His body is now being kept at a hospital here.

--TNA 2007-01-06

Mark was a good friend and pretty well balanced guy. Hadn't seen him for a few months as he hopped back to UK and then back to CNX recently. Just been drinking at a "wake" with lots of people who knew him well and we are all baffled. Good guy, life seemingly going positive for him in LOS. Big shock. :o

R.I.P mate and may you find in your next life whatever it was that you missed this time.

Cheers and tears,

Pikey.

• 3 months later...

I ONLT FOUND OUT YESTERDAY AS I HAVE JUST GOT BACK FROM THE PHILIPPINES, I AM IN TOTAL SHOCK, I WAS DRINKING WITH MARK ON CHRISTMAS EVE, HE WAS TOTALLY HAPPY AND HIS USUAL GREAT SELF.

REST IN PEACE MARK ME AN TIP WILL MISS YOU.

i think that out of respect for Mark and his friends on this board that we should refrain from speculation about what 'chronic disease' he may have suffered from.

a very sad story.

may he rest in peace. :o

i think that out of respect for Mark and his friends on this board that we should refrain from speculation about what 'chronic disease' he may have suffered from.

a very sad story.

may he rest in peace. :o

Agreed.

Medication and Hospitals are good here though...all chronic diseases are treatable nowadays to some extent. Just putting this out there in case anyone else is in the same position as the other poor bloke.

RIP mate.

Mark was a good friend and pretty well balanced guy. Hadn't seen him for a few months as he hopped back to UK and then back to CNX recently. Just been drinking at a "wake" with lots of people who knew him well and we are all baffled. Good guy, life seemingly going positive for him in LOS. Big shock. :o

R.I.P mate and may you find in your next life whatever it was that you missed this time.

Cheers and tears,

Pikey.

hey pikey, was mark a musican /singer from devon do you know ? thanks

hm... i am having dejavu or is this the second or thrid cae of NAKED sucider in chiangmai that happen on a farang .

hm...i hope this is not a trend here . to kill oneself naked . in chaingmai .

and i also hope is not some kinda setup which victim of a crime end up dying naked and shown as sucider

- anyway is alway sad to know someone ended or life is ended .

may the death be a reminded for us alive that life is short live and do good will we can .

hm... i am having dejavu or is this the second or thrid cae of NAKED sucider in chiangmai that happen on a farang .

hm...i hope this is not a trend here . to kill oneself naked . in chaingmai .

and i also hope is not some kinda setup which victim of a crime end up dying naked and shown as sucider

- anyway is alway sad to know someone ended or life is ended .

may the death be a reminded for us alive that life is short live and do good will we can .

happens a lot in pattaya, they seem to like view talay,. were they pushed or did they jump ?

very sad to see this news, I don't think I know him but I wouldn't be surprised if I knew him by sight around the place.

Hope he is in a happier place and sympathy for his family wherever they are

CB

when your heads messed up you do just about anything ,my cousin did same thing (in uk) no money sickness worries the family still baffled .very sad thread ,sympathies to his next of kin

Chronic disease? Are we talking HIV?

Sad story. My wife works in a Hospital and HIV is very treatable nowadays, even here in Thailand. Certainly no need to end everything. Poor bastard :o

As we speculate, I have to challenge the premise that he had a disease of any kind.

Hello...do we now accept the rapidly made pronouncements from the Thai police as credible?

I've said this before in this forum -- I don't believe suicide reporting, naming names (with pictures of course if possible) has any place in the public media, especially when combined with police speculation.

I think suicide must be one of the most private and personal decisions a person can make.

I add to the others: RIP

I think suicide must be one of the most private and personal decisions a person can make.

It could also be considered one of the most selfish decision one can make......another time place...

Sorry to hear about the Guy ..RIP. :o

when your heads messed up you do just about anything ,my cousin did same thing (in uk) no money sickness worries the family still baffled .very sad thread ,sympathies to his next of kin

WHENEVER Richard Cory went down town,

We people on the pavement looked at him:

He was a gentleman from sole to crown,

Clean favored, and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,

And he was always human when he talked;

But still he fluttered pulses when he said,

"Good-morning," and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich—yes, richer than a king,

And admirably schooled in every grace:

In fine, we thought that he was everything

To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,

And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;

And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,

Went home and put a bullet through his head.

E.A. Robinson

R.I.P.

The Fly Fisherman

Edited by Physherman

It is sad this happened. More sad for the survivors (family and friends) than for the victim. The victim is gone. My lack of faith in any higher power makes me think any loss of life in this manner is extremely tragic. To me, life is a one shot deal. No after life or 2nd life. This kind of loss is 100% preventable if friends and family notice soon enough. It's too bad Mark's tragedy wasn't avoided.

I had this thought today, thinking about this tragedy, that had Mark just hung in there a few days more, he would have seen:

1) the big rainstorm with crazy winds that washed away all the dirt, dust (and grief)

2) the dawning of a beautiful day this morning, with all the trees green, the air fresh; a whole new life about the world

I am so sorry for this. I think a day or 2 might have possibly made a difference.

Who knows..... :o

I had this thought today, thinking about this tragedy, that had Mark just hung in there a few days more, he would have seen:

1) the big rainstorm with crazy winds that washed away all the dirt, dust (and grief)

2) the dawning of a beautiful day this morning, with all the trees green, the air fresh; a whole new life about the world

I am so sorry for this. I think a day or 2 might have possibly made a difference.

Who knows..... :o

He would have had a long wait. The incident occurred on 06 January.

It could also be considered one of the most selfish decision one can make......another time place...

Sorry to hear about the Guy ..RIP. :o

You're right, selfish. I guess sometimes people get to a place where they see no other option. If they only waited a few days, or talked to friends, or....

But it does happen. And they should not be publicly humiliated on top of the rest. They don't know -- they're gone, but it's still not right.

I think it is not our place to judge this fellow. He is not even here to defend himself.

I think he did it because he no longer could bear it. Period! We are all different and we all act differently. We do not all have the same lives and the same circumstances, the same capacity to deal with pain, grief, abuse, hurt,... Could it be that we could be selfish to ask him to stay alive? Maybe he needed more help that we could give? In any case, it is his life. It was. Yet, it is too bad that he is gone!

Edited by MyPenRye

I think it is not our place to judge this fellow. He is not even here to defend himself.

I think he did it because he no longer could bear it. Period! We are all different and we all act differently. We do not all have the same lives and the same circumstances, the same capacity to deal with pain, grief, abuse, hurt,... Could it be that we could be selfish to ask him to stay alive? Maybe he needed more help that we could give? In any case, it is his life. It was. Yet, it is too bad that he is gone!

Wise words indeed..

The only thing that i felt compelled to address is the pain capacity comment. Although we all do have different pain capasity levels, this somehow suggests that people who commit suicide somehow have less tolerance for pain (apologies if I have the wrong idea from what you said, but that is the impression I took from it. Also I do not wish to undermine what you have said in any way..just wish to expand on it), and that is why they may attempt to take their life

Of course, in this case, i have no idea, but i wish to say that many people who attempt suicide have huge tolerance of pain, just that the pain level has reached its threshold.

Ie: A good friend of mine who appeared to be happy, kind, gentle, fun loving etc was going through terrible turmoil for most of her life inside. We were totally unaware of this, until she tried to take her life.

She was taken to hospital after she was found and couldnt be woken up (thankfully she was found!). The hospital managed to revive her and after a while in hospital she went through a long process of therapy. One of the lucky ones (i guess).

Well..this came as a shock to close friends and some family members (the few she remains in touch with). It seems she had a childhood of pretty much every kind of abuse you can think of. Family members turning a blind eye, or joining in. Although many ppl dont understand why childhood trauma should affect adult life, it of course does. All the things that were done and said to her growing up, continued to haunt her in daily life.

Of course, that is only one example. I guess we will never know what is really going on in peoples heads to make them feel life is worthless. I guess that for some people, everyday life can be so intolerable because they are facing pain we cannot imagine. If you are hurting everyday, life may be a joyless existance, so you may feel the only way out is death. All we can do is hope that people who need help, somehow get it.

I am sorry that this man felt so much pain he wasnt able to get through whatever he needed to overcome. Sad news indeed. May he rest in peace.

Edited by eek