Macs And Thailand?

Zebra

Just a general question as I learn more and more about thailand and want to head out there. I was thinking about diving and spending a few months there. Was curious to know if thre are any Mac users out there and mac support, hardware and software available. I know macs are in the minority, but i wanted to knwo if there are any users out there or is it alll pc?

I've got a friend in LOS that uses only Mac's.

He says there's a big place to take care of Mac users in BKK. He's lived there for about 3 years, so you should be OK.

Not sure where this Mac place is, but there is definitely one in Bangkok.

I am a Mac user in Chiang Mai. There is a place here to purchase Mac's and accessories, but it is at a premium to what you would pay in the U.S. I understand there is service available in Bangkok, but I have not had to use it, thankfully.

So hey one more thing......If anyone chooses to read this again.

How about macs and ISP's....am i going to miss out on the sftware cetian ISP's provide? or should I just try to get my hands and DSL or cable or sumthing to that end. Seems most of it is Dial up....?

Zebra and I have the same ideas: Thailand, scuba diving and Macintosh computers.

I am moving to Thailand in a few months and I am wondering if it is better to bring my Mac's with me or just buy a new once i get there???

I know the FedEx shipping is a couple hundred, but are there any duties to deal with on used computers? And will I get any hard time bringing in things like hard drives and accessories in my luggage?

I have the Duel G4 with a 20" but would love the G5 and the 23" display.

Also how do the costs compare to the US?

Thanks and see you soon.

Well my trip to thailand unfotunetly is still in more of a dream state, but I like doing this research so I can be ready for when my funds are in order. I am In New York City and not sure where u are or of used prices right now. Thre is not much of a used Mac market here, perhaps more so in California. But here are some prices on some sloanking new G5s.

Dual 1.8GHz PowerPC G5

900MHz FSB

512K L2 cache

512MB DDR400 128-bit SDRAM - Expandable to 8GB SDRAM

160GB Serial ATA

SuperDrive

Three PCI-X Slots

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra

64MB DDR video memory

56K internal modem

$2,499.00 US

Yeah..Yeah...an arm and a leg but well worth it. Not sureif this is available over there but Apple does sell refurbished units on everyhting from ipods and Airpoort Stations to eMacs and G5s. Sometimes they have some pretty nice discounts and ofcourse fall warranty adn the shebang...thinking about getting a refurbed powerbook or ibook for myself.

About scuba diving......where about you heading and what dive shop or center u plan to go with ?

You are definately better off buying in the States. Same goes for cameras and other digital goodies as they tax the ###### out of it all here.

Good used Mac dealers in the US - Sun Remarketers and ...###### the other one has slipped my mind - will repost when I remember it.

both on the web. I have no qualms about buying used Macs especially from these guys. You can get hardware and software in Thailand. Bangkok and Phuket both have Mac shops. Both dealers and Apple stores in Bkok. PM me if you want details.

Software is plentiful and cheap. Buy it here.

Re ISPs - you can connect with any platform, no worries. But see the other threads and realize you are in for a bumpy ride with all of them.

Good luck!

The other used Mac dealer in the States is Macresq.com - They're the best IMHO.

On second thought... I just checked their site after writing this (first time in months) and didn't see much in the way of systems - just a few G4s and G3s, no powerbooks, which they used to have lots of. Maybe they're out of this game.

Anyway, I brought my 2 yr old iBook with me to Thailand and it's still serving me well. The iBooks are great, plenty of power and features in a small package. Wouldn't want to ship a G5 system all the way to Thailand...The one reason to buy here. You can go to Apples Singapore website and check prices in Sing $. If cost effective, you could buy from them and have it shipped to LOS after you're here.

I have more than I need in the way of CPU power, but what is the tariff to bring it all in???

After shipping and duties I am trying to calculate if it is easier just to buy new there? Or am i looking for an excuse to upgrade????

Why any country would tax computers which only makes the country more competitive and educated is beyond me???

After shipping and duties I am trying to calculate if it is easier just to buy new there? Or am i looking for an excuse to upgrade????

Not sure how duties are calculated. You might try posting on the business forum if no one here responds on that one, or checking with the Thai consulate where you live.

My guess is that it would be far less than buying something new here - you'll probably need a reciept to show value - but who's to say you couldn't make one up at a lower price. You might also leave your monitor at home and shop around for a used one here, unless you have one of those swanky plasma units.

Same holds for printers (& other peripherals). If you have a good graphics printer you really like, bring it with you. Good printers are no bargain here, tho they are available.

Software is the one thing that's really great here. Cheap cheap. Hold off buying any new programs till you're here. At Pantip you can get just about anything including the latest OSX release.

I'm a mac user though am currently advertising my ibook in the pattaya mail. I have a PC machine at work (currently running linux) so I don't really need my ibook.

That being said, if anyone is interested in a nice neat g3 ibook please let me know. It's a g3 700 snow (white one).

You may also like to know that there are several Mac chops in the IT Mall at Fortune Plaza, Ratchada Phisek.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a MAC user, I have a G4 Power Book that I take on my travels and a G5 at home.

I have bought all my MAC stuff in Singapore. I checked at MAC in Thailand (Panthip Plaza) but their prices are 22% above Apple Singapore.

Apple in Thailand are 'Resellers' for Apple Singapore!

MAC software is available in Thailand but again at inflated prices. Of course there is plenty of pirate stuff available, but I only run legal software so I can't advise on the pirate stuff other than to say I was offered plenty of it in Phathip.